1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 773e rears?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by astonbilla, Aug 3, 2002.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I am thinking of investing in some mission m74 fronts as they are mag shielded. First off, will they sound better than my 773e's and secondly - can i use my 773es as rear speakers?

silly i know, just wondering though

2. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't answer whether they are better or not I can't tell you but yes, you can use the 773Es as rears, whether they would be as good as the 77DS for rear action I'm not sure.

Others will answer this better but maybe it would be better to keep the 773Es, doing your best to keep them away from the telly (maybe re-arrange the room) and get some 77DS's for the rear. This would also mean all your speakers are from the same series which will help with tonal consistency etc.

3. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i actually have a set of 77ds rears. I was wondering if the larger speaker would reap any benefits though?

4. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wanna sell me the 77ds if they are white ? Then you can use the 773e as rears and make some money too!

5. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    sorry mate - they're black

6. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    astonbilla,

Why not get another pair of 773es for the rears from Richer Sounds - they still advertise them for £200 which is less than the M74.

Personally I would stick with the 77ds for rear effects.

Regards,

GJC

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Using floorstanders like the 773s as rears is IMHO not a good idea, usually you don't want them at ear level.
    As well comparing the 773 to the 77DS is pretty pointless as one are direct radiating speakers while the others are bipoles.

8. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll buy the 77DS in black if the price is very good !

9. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er, are you sure the 773e is not mag shielded? I have 774's and have no problem quite close to the telly.

10. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    positive, the centre is but not the 773es

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you look at the richer sounds catalogues, you may be surprised to note that virtually all the missions , dont have magnetic sheilding, only the 771 , which is kind of odd. the cinema 7 pack has 773e as main speakers, so you would have them at the front near the tv anyway! also they would have to be practically on top of the tv to cause inteference anyway?and richer sounds ,are cheap, but they tend not to have the good stuff ,and then try to fob you off with rubbish!

12. petrobas

petrobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would keep the 773e's for the front , I use Mission 774's for the front speakers , 18" either side of the tv & no problem at all.
    I would also disagree about not using 773e's for the rear , I use 733i's for my rear speakers & they are brilliant.

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would also disagree about not using 773e's for the rear , I use 733i's for my rear speakers & they are brilliant.

My advise had nothing to do with the speakers not being "brilliant" but the fact that the sound is too localized if you move around on your couch - unless they are placed quite a distance behind you (>1.5m, perhaps toed in a bit).

I used some bookshelf speakers on stands before (so they were at ear level) placed left and right of the sofa (no space behind) and it was pretty annoying ... everytime I moved a bit or you are not sitting right in the middle the sound from either the left or right rear speaker was too loud, i.e. too close to the ear and the effects were spoiled since the other speaker would be lower in volume then.