Mission 773 speakers problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ludgate205, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Ludgate205

Ludgate205

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm an absolute beginner to this site and relatively new to home cinema, apart from one box solutions but I guess they don't count.
    Recently purchased some mission 773's second hand and have been unable to get any bass from them. Tried them on two amps, bi-wired and normal and still no bass. Plenty of mid-range and treble. I assume the bass drivers are blown? Does this sound right? The speakers have two drivers that seem to handle mid range and bass, the mid range is coming out ok but with no bass? I have found some replacement drivers for the speakers (correct mission ones), would this be the best route to fix them? Thanks very much for any advice.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    No bass or less bass than you got from your all-in-one with the plastic, boomy sub?

Seriously, you are probably getting "bass", but it will be cleaner and less boomy than you are probably used to. If you are getting midrange, then all the drivers are working properly.

However I must stress that the 773s are hardly bass-meisters anyway and in fact are pretty weak speakers all round.:(
    Adding a (decent) sub is essential if you are hoping to get the full soundstage out of your listening.

3. Ludgate205

Ludgate205

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I freely admit the all-in-one kit was v. poor but all my budget would allow at the time. I'd read some good things about the 773's in various reviews and forums but had still planned to buy a decent sub to go with the rest of my kit (other mission 77's rear and centre). I've tested them now on two amps and have compared them with other sets of speakers and they honestly do not seem to product any bass of any kind, clean or otherwise. Is it not possible to damage just the bass element of the speaker (apologies if thats a stupid question)?

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,563
    Gently place your hand on the bass driver and crank the volume up, if you feel vibration they are probably working, if not the drivers may be blown or the crossovers may have died. Are you 100% sure you have been bi-wiring/wiring correctly? No offense intended :)

Dave

5. Ludgate205

Ludgate205

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually got a audiophile friend of mine to test them out last night on his Arcam set up and they performed quite well. I think I may have made a connection error so wil start over again tonight. Thanks for the advice!

6. Breithart

Breithart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ludgate205,

You may have wired them out of phase which will not produce bass.:rolleyes: