Question Mission 770s amp to match please

sessile

Novice Member
Reaction score
What amp should i buy
I have some mission 770s freedom connected also to project essentials turntable and marantz cd6006 cd . Budget not sure about but as the turntable cost 180 new and the cd was 120 second hand i wanted to keep in proportion. Ive read that the missions need a lot of power to shine and can be a bit bright they seem ok on my marantz pm6010 ose when both channels are working the pm6006 seams rather expensive at the moment which is what i was thinking of

They are a good speaker, perhaps the only downside mentioned is that the treble can become a little fatiguing after a while. That's probably why you find the Marantz a good match. The pm6006 is a little down on power over the 6010 but not by much so it depends on how big your room is and how loud you like listening.

Perhaps looking in the classifieds for a more powerful Marantz. What's your maximum budget?

Marantz PM8005 Stereo amplifier (Hardly used still running in) | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You asked exactly the same question yesterday. Why ask again in a different thread?

I tried to delete this one as the heading makes it look that i want to buy one on here i dont i was after advice but i failed to delete thread. im new on here and it can be confusing

I tried to delete this one as the heading makes it look that i want to buy one on here i dont i was after advice but i failed to delete thread. im new on here and it can be confusing
No problem. If you want to delete a thread, you can click on “Archive” on the top of the page.

the pm6006 seams rather expensive at the moment

Does it? I know the price of Yamaha intergrated amps have recently increased as I was going to suggest the Yamaha A-S501:

...but the Marantz PM6006 seems to be close to its cheapest price (assuming the price info on PriceSpy is correct):

On the second hand market, I'd look for a Yamaha A-S701 or, better still, a Yamaha A-S801 - probably over budget though.

I think the Mission speakers deserve a decent amp. If your budget is under £300, I'd look for a higher-quality, second hand amp. I once owned a previous version of these Mission speakers and they needed a sturdy amp to help control the slightly wayward deep bass. Don't know if the 770 Freedom suffers from the same problem but many large-ish ported speakers do.

The 770 Freedom are fairly efficient speakers so don't need a lot of RMS power to achieve high volumes but they may well need an amp with a strong power supply, like the Yamaha amps suggested. I don't know about the quality of the Marantz amp power supplies - maybe they're good too?

ive been offered a sony ta-fb940r for free. do you think this will do the 770s justice
Also thanks for the price spy link ive never heard of this site before

I once had the same amp. It’s very good. 85 Watts into 8 ohm. If you can get a good example in full working order for nothing, I’d bite their hand off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom