Mission 770 Standmount Loudspeaker Review & Comments

acgingersnaps

Great review.
Given how many that you've done of late, a couple of subjective top 5 or 10 lists might make a fun read from you. Under £1k, under 5k etc.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Enjoyable review.
I really like the retro look to them, I don't see the large Mission logo as being too off-putting.
The stands included in the price is good marketing as well.

SuperSkunk

Look awful to me, kind of chavvy.

andycc72

I love the look of them part form the Mission logo. I'd certainly like to hear them !

Wild Billy

Standard Member
This review shows the importance of auditioning products for yourself. The reviewer clearly loves them. HiFi News’ review of them had a similar performance write up but then gave them 83% for sound quality which for them is meh (of the nine bits of kit reviewed in June’s edition only a re-review of a 1980’s Sansui amplifier got lower). Love of product is clearly a personal thing.

This review says it “feels entirely comparable to other European produced product in the price range”. It’s a shame that they didn’t produce them in their Chinese factory rather than the UK. Then they would have cost much less to make, so more people who share the reviewer’s love of them would be able to afford and enjoy them.

They would of course be exactly the same if made in China – same design, same materials and, as Mission own their Chinese factory, they would still have full control over all the production processes. Maybe Mission thinks that there is such an outdated and unjustified prejudice against Chinese production among potential customers for a rehash of an old design they will make more money by pandering to it, making them in the UK at much additional cost and charging more for them.

AngryofMayfair

They and the stands look very similar to the Wharfedale Lintons - my guess is that they are made by the same Chinese based owner?

andycc72

They and the stands look very similar to the Wharfedale Lintons - my guess is that they are made by the same Chinese based owner?
They're 3 times the price of the Lintons.

I'm sure I read somewhere these were made in the UK.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member

In Eds review says that Mission have opened a plant in the UK.
I for one applaud Mission for creating jobs in the UK.

andycc72

In Eds review says that Mission have opened a plant in the UK.
I for one applaud Mission for creating jobs in the UK.
Just googled it and they are made in the UK.

acgingersnaps

Maybe Mission thinks that there is such an outdated and unjustified prejudice against Chinese production among potential customers for a rehash of an old design they will make more money by pandering to it, making them in the UK at much additional cost and charging more for them.
Rather pay a bit more to have more jobs in the UK, which means more money into the local economy and the exchequer.

Onlythesound

Wonderful to see these back. It’s a bit like Picard returning years later after an encounter with the Borg - lots of new bits….

XL5

If you want the diminutive size of the Ls3/5a but with a room filling sound then audition these:
K1

I've listened to the falcons ( link provided by Ed in review) and found them underwhelming.
The K1's are just amazing and Ian will delight in explaining why they have such an appeal.

"Designed to be the ultimate compact / Bookshelf loudspeaker. Engineered to perform well even in the tightest of spaces. Broad deep out of box sound-staging and pinpoint stereo imagery come as standard.".....
.....not blurb just true!

MaryWhitehouse

Applaud their being made in the uk. Don’t applaud them looking like something from Tandy in 1986, at any price.

AngryofMayfair

Yes they are made in the UK which probably explains why they are three times the price of the Lintons, made by the same company (that owns Leak, Wharfedale, Mission and more) in China
My guess is that both came from the same designer, the externals are almost identical especially the stands and veneer finish, the terminals and even the Union flag on the back…
At least the Lintons have decent grills, these would definitely benefit from the same…

fordster

Great that these are made/assembled in the U.K. Nothing wrong with quality of a lot of stuff made in China it good to have more money going into the local economy.
They’re not my cup of tea but they’re one of the better looking retro speakers.

Flobs

The stands look flimsy to me. o_O

keithwiggins

great review thanks, i used to both own and sell the originals many years ago and loved them, also met the designer/owner of mission several times ( Farad Azima) although i was never quite sure if he was a visionary or on something. Glad to see them back and made again in the UK.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
They are some fug ugly looking throwbacks Mission have made there .sack the design team .

acgingersnaps

They are some fug ugly looking throwbacks Mission have made there .sack the design team .
Somewhat going with his theory:

"my pet theory of design is that, in order for something to be truly loved, it must be contentious enough for some people to hate it. The 770 completely delivers on that particular brief"

Wild Billy

Standard Member
Yes they are made in the UK which probably explains why they are three times the price of the Lintons, made by the same company (that owns Leak, Wharfedale, Mission and more) in China
Prices people out of the market, and those that want them and can afford them must pay much more than would be necessary if they made them in their China factory, leaving less money left to put into other things in the local economy.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Prices people out of the market, and those that want them and can afford them must pay much more than would be necessary if they made them in their China factory, leaving less money left to put into other things in the local economy.
Its a fine balancing act to be sure.
But this country has a fine record in building premium speakers. My Spendor A7s & A1s are British built & I could not be happier.
I am not against buying Items from China at all. I had some Kef LS50s built in China & there was nothing wrong with them.
Its got to be good that jobs are created in this country & valuable experience is being used again.

Steve Stifler

Nice review thanks Ed.

Great to see U.K. manufacturing have a bit of a renaissance. Proves its not gone with the dodo. And I thought born slippy was something to do with clay bars!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland