mission 754freedom/ 751 freedom and 75c- any good?

dfdd

bought these about 10 years ago, and use them as fl and fr in my 5.1 setup, togrther with 751 freedom surrounds and 75c centre channel.

i want to upgrade my system, and was wondeing if i should keep this set up and just upgrade my amp( yamaha 750se), or change both amp and speakers.

any advice appreciated, my main use is 99% home cinema

cheers

fuel2000

I suspect you would have to spend quite a lot of money to better your Mission speakers, these were highly regarded in there day, and were proberly the last decent mainstream speakers Mission made.

I myself had a pair of Mission 751, followed by 752's, some years ago.

Your money would proberly be better spent on a better amp. They would not disgrace themselves been driven by the likes of the Yamaha Z7.

The main thing is, are you happy with the sound they make?

Last edited:

dfdd

Yeah, they sound good, and also look fairly decent as well.

i also have a mission active sub as well.
it does sound good, but i am tempted to go to the next level but find all the options so confusing!

one possibility i was considering was five b+w nautilus 805s + sub, with five arcam p1s power amps, in my room measuring 6mx4m. with an appropiate hd capable processor.

but then i find my mind wondering towards audyssey room equalistaion, cinepro power amps, the upgrade company etc etc! I want to upgrade with some gear that willbe pretty much be a last upgrade in the amplification/speaker department.

What are your pmcs like?

ken2242

Standard Member
bought these about 10 years ago, and use them as fl and fr in my 5.1 setup, togrther with 751 freedom surrounds and 75c centre channel.

i want to upgrade my system, and was wondeing if i should keep this set up and just upgrade my amp( yamaha 750se), or change both amp and speakers.

any advice appreciated, my main use is 99% home cinema

cheers

Hiya
I have 754's since 1997 - love them
Good quality source and cable and they are hard to beat (you will need to pay a lot to get better today)

fuel2000

Yeah, they sound good, and also look fairly decent as well.

i also have a mission active sub as well.
it does sound good, but i am tempted to go to the next level but find all the options so confusing!

one possibility i was considering was five b+w nautilus 805s + sub, with five arcam p1s power amps, in my room measuring 6mx4m. with an appropiate hd capable processor.

but then i find my mind wondering towards audyssey room equalistaion, cinepro power amps, the upgrade company etc etc! I want to upgrade with some gear that willbe pretty much be a last upgrade in the amplification/speaker department.

What are your pmcs like?

My PMC's are very good most likely the last speakers i will buy, as i know they will only get better with better amplification, plus i was fortunate to get them for half price when the I series came out! My room is a similar size to yours 5mx5m.

Your amp and your sub are your weak point's, you really need to find your self a friendly dealer and get yourself some home demos if your going to be spending such a large amount of cash.

I suspect that even speakers such as PMC and the higher end B &Ws, may not offer you a better better sound just a different one!!. Speaker tech has not changed dramaticly in the last 10 - 15 years.

As i said before i would upgrade my amp/processor and sub, as this will make your Mission's really sing. Plus then you would have the amplification in place to make any speaker upgrades, if needed worth it.

oz72

Not sure what the yamaha 750se amp is had quick look it seems to be the the equivalent of the Denon 2000 series amps. Which is really underpowered when drving those speakers. I have an A1SE which just about does the trick, thats with a monolith doinig the bass. Sounds really good to my ears running 754's and 752's. Just out of intereset what colour are your speakers and do you have any pics of them?

IAN P

Novice Member
Aye, keep the Mission's, they have a decent following on here.

The fact they sound great also helps.:thumbsup:

Although they didn't do a decent centre speaker at the time, late 90's, and I had to buy the big KEF 200c.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom