Mission 753 (not F) or Q55.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mark Ward, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been thinking hard about my best upgrade strategy and I reckon I'd be better waiting until my new room (12 Months or more away) to spend some major money.

However, there seem to be some interesting classifieds that could improve my system for very little outlay.

I've agreed to buy a Kef Model 100 Center (collecting Friday) at £50 more than I've already sold my Q95C.1 for. This will go with my Kef TDM34DS surrounds.

I've seen some Mission 753's (Not Freedoms :() that I could buy for the same price (or less) than I could sell my Kef Q55.1s for (I have a buyer for the Kefs). Would this be an upgrade? Would the Missions be tonally compatible (They have previously been used with the Kef Model 100)

Also, I've seen a M&K V-75 Sub for £275 is this a good sub/deal? It's to replace my Yamaha YST-SW120 until I can get a Servo 15 in my new room.

The way I see it there would be a second hand market for all these bits in a year or so's time, but I don't want to find myself taking a step backwards.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What front speakers are you ideally after? Presumably, to match with your other speakers, it would have to be - KEF Reference 1-2s, 2-2s or the THX TDM23Fs? Just wondered as I would have thought there would be some good deals on all of these - I'm sure I've seen the TDM23Fs with good reductions and the References have been replaced now so there might be some good deals around.

The 753s are pretty good but I seem to remember that the 753Fs had a more refined tweeter so I would have thought the latter would match better with the KEF 100C. I do know, however, that all 753s need a lot of power to give their best.

I definitely snap up the M&K V75 at that price - you'll find it way better than your Yamaha and when/if you come to sell it, I can't imagine that it will be worth any/much less than £275.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Kef is generally my preferred choice. My new (future) room is MASSIVE and I'd like some Ref 3.2s in there, however I can't fit them in my current room, Ref 1.2s would fit and are still around for £750.00 or so but would need to be replaced for the new room. The main point about the Mission 753s is that I have a zero cost opportunity to change for now.
    Hmmm maybe not then..
    Are the 753s Bi-Wireable? I currently have a Bi-Amped 2 X 125W per speaker from a Denon AV-A10SE & POA-T10 Combo.
    I'll do that thanks.

Mark.

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mark - please tell me where you have seen Ref 1-2s at £750 - I would love to know.

Also, at what price have you seen the 3-2's? And any prices for the 2-2s?

I think the 753s are bi-wireable - there are people with 1995 models (which I think are pre-Freedom) on www.audioreview.com who talk about using them bi-wired.

There is a review of the 753Fs here which also talks a bit about the original 753s: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/359_printreview.htm

Hope this helps but please tell where the cheap KEF Refs are available.

Thanks.

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It was some weeks ago but Musical Images (they have 4 stores) had them for £1000 in Cherry, when I queried that another store had them for £750 they said they'd accept £800.

I really can't remember what the store was, could have been unilet Sound & Vision? www.unilet.net (crap site but good prices if you phone 'em).

I haven't got a what Hi-Fi here at work so can't check up.

I asked Unilet to give me a price on my TDM34DS surrounds but they never returned my call. They also had a Meridian MC-1 for £2995 NEW BTW.

Good luck hunting! :)

Mark.