1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 753 - need center, rears and subwoofer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nicholas_g, Oct 21, 2005.

1. nicholas_g

nicholas_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm going from 2.0 to 5.1. I have a pair of Mission 753 that I want to use as the Front speakers and am looking for recommended Centre and Rear speakers. Subwoofer recommendations would be useful as well.

Thanks,
    Nicholas.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The 75c would be the centre for the range although the 78c or 77c would do a very good job too, try and keep it mission anyway, rear speaker either 750/1 or any of the ds range (although the 70ds are the oldest) 77/8ds are not found new you could go for the m3/7ds which i have and am very very happy with or the m5ds which may be a step up (different shape anyway). In otherwords any misison centre or rears will be a good match.

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
  4. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Think I have a Mission 75AS sub in a box in the spare room.....

regards

Parmenion

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Hi

Without wishing to hijack nicholas_g's thread: :blush:

Could we clear up whether the smaller 750 series are actually suitable as rears for 753 mains? We have a number of members responding with alternatives some of which would probably have to obtained secondhand.

I believe I was warned some time ago that the 751s were rather too directional for comfort as rears. This directionality would probably be rather dependant on the available space behind the listener. Not all of us have the luxury of loads of room behind our sofa or listening chair. I know I don't.

Given the likely number of lurkers out there with 753s from former stereo-only systems: Could we have a rough pecking-order of potentially desirable Mission rears to strive for please? If only to save wasted effort and expense competing for the wrong thing on ebay. :oops:

Thanks
    Nimby

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The DS sereis are specialy made to be rears so i guess they would make the best mission rears. A bookshelf may be directional, so it depends on the distance to the listener to some extent and the type of content used, for example with music some may perfer the the directional sound.

The 78DS would probably rank as the highest mission because of the price alone (altough reviews as reliable as they are have not been entirely complmentory) then i'd say it would be the 77Ds and m5ds followed by the m7ds and m3ds. Mission does seem to say that using the smaller bookselves of a series are also fine, i.e. m70 or m30, but if you check there packages out you'll see that the more expensive packages always contain the DS speakers for rears.

7. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I had the 753f's as fronts, then liked them so much I got some 754's and used the 753's as rears. I have to say the 753's are fantastic as rears and would recommend some, or some 752's (£150-200 2nd hand) if you don't mind floorstanders. If you have the budget (about £400), consider getting 2nd hand 754's for fronts because they have the 753s' clarity but a lot more besides. They are exceptional.

I used to have good THX-rated MS dipolar rears, retailing at £450 new, that theoretically diffuse the sound better, but the plain fact is that the 753's are quite a lot superior as rears in my 5.1 setup. Maybe their sound just mixes well with the other Missions in my setup. I would bet that 751's would be pretty good as rears if they are anything like the rest of the 75 range.

The 75C centre is surprisingly good for its size, meshes well with the 753's and there are lots around second hand. It used to retail new at £250 and is now great value. I upgraded to a def tech clr1000 on the advice of someone on these forums and it has a richer, more detailed sound, but then it is hard to come by and a lot more expensive. My black 75C is going on sale soon if you are interested but there are usually some on ebay.

Cheers

8. nicholas_g

nicholas_g
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I should have mentioned in my original post that Mission customer service recommended Mission volare v6c as centre speaker and Mission volare v60
    as the rear speakers.

Has anyone heard these?

9. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I assume these are current models? I haven't heard them but I can't see how they can be more suitable the other speakers from the 75 range if you can get them.

10. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Mission would of course recommend something from their current range but my understanding is that their speakers' characteristics changed significantly in recent years. I would be really surprised if these matched the 753's, which have a very distinctive and delicate sound.

11. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Excellent. Plenty to chew on now. :)

I would never have thought of using Mission floorstanders as rears. Though I suppose they don't take up much more space than a standmount really and are probably more stable.

How did you set up your 754s and 753 rears crobo? Large or small?

Thanks
    Nimby

12. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I set them both to large and the centre to small. Opinions vary on this but it works for me; certainly, I hear things from the rears that I never heard previously and the whole surround thing is more prominent. I think the beauty of using the 753's as rears is that their clarity, especially at the top end, allows the rear audio to really come through. On the other hand the 754's had a tendency to overpower the 75c centre and this was one of the reasons for getting a more potent centre. The 75C worked very well with the 753's though.

13. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Thanks crobo. I bought my 753Fs for their bass. :blush:

Nimby

14. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Sure, the bass is very nice indeed too; I am just guessing that this is not so directional and therefore hard to detect as coming out of the rears. I may be wrong though; I haven't studied them in that much depth and I'm no expert on these things. After changing speakers and amps a couple of times recently I'm trying to do less analysing and more enjoying!

15. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As you can see I have an all Mission speaker set up, less my sub :) I use floor standers for all speakers except the surround backs. I have 783s for fronts, 753Fs for centre and surrounds and 750LEs for surround backs. I tried a pair of 78DSs but didnt like them. I find using floor standers as rears adds real scale to the sound :thumbsup:

16. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  17. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
  18. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi Crobo,
    hope the old 753's are giving sterling service - Icertainly miss them!
    Stu.

19. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry :suicide:

20. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hey Stu, nice to hear from you!
    You've got a lot to answer for though. As soon as I got these running I ditched listening to mp3s in the other room - I couldn't bear the inferior sound quality - and as soon as some 754's came up for sale I couldn't resist trying them either:suicide: . Seriously, they are very nice and your new Q7s must be damned good to replace them. Hope you are enjoying the new toys :thumbsup:

21. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  22. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Thunder, don't you mean you have 752Fs for centre and surrounds? Maybe this is just one of those weeks?:D

23. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes it must be :rotfl: