1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 752 Freedoms ...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AnilS, Mar 12, 2005.

1. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    ...are these still worth seeking out, given their age and new technology?

I am reading that Mission 782s are fantastic speakers and can be bought for sensible money, and as they are newer would be more reliable and up to date?

I am hoping to hook these up to either; Audiolab C+P, NAD C370 or Arcam A85. (I know Rotels work well with B&W, but haven't explore that option yet).

Can you offer your experiences please on this.

Many thanks in advance, AnilS.

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a pair of Mission 752Fs, and Audiolab 8000C/2XP infact.

I've heard those newer Missions, they simply do not compare. If you want to buy Mission, the 750 Series is where it's at. A classic case of newer definitely NOT being better.

But are you SURE you want to buy those kind of Missions? Have you heard them? From your list of choices, it looks like you've done little or no demo-ing and just picked out mag/forum recommendations...because your shortlist contains rather different kettles of fish. Not demo-ing and choosing the right style of equipment for YOU is the biggest mistake you can ever make. I have to tell you up straight, because I've been there and done it and regretted it.

The Missions are revealing, with little bass output (but excellent depth), a smooth but restrained treble and are very fussy about the room/placement/ancillary equipment. The Audiolabs are clean, dry and clinical. This could be right up one person's street, but for another, even his Midi Hi-Fi is gonna offer more joy..

It's like asking about an estate car, a saloon car, and a 4x4, when maybe you want a sports car....so decide what you want first before blowing all your hard-earned!

Edit: Cyrus Amps should really be your starting point if you decide on the Missions - they were both developed in conjunction with each other at the time...

3. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I've heard the Freedoms on the end of a Nad amp and it was merely OK. The bass seemed muddy, so I FELT Audiolabs would tighten things up. I've heard an 8000A but not the combo mentioned, and the A sound tight and fast but a little lacking in bass.

Looking at like minded folk who have the combinations mentioned and give me an insight.

BTW, you're right about the car analogy, I couldn't make up my mind so bought an RX8 :thumbsup: .

AnilS.

4. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I'd personally disagree with the above statement, and confess that I much preferred the 782 to either incarnation of the 752. The ceramic cone was a big step forward over the Aerogel cone, imho.

Reliability is not going to be an issue on either.

I sold the 752s at a dealership for many years, and any of the amps you've mentioned are going to do the job well. FWIW, regarding the 752Fs (and 752s), I always thought the Rotels and NADs of the time gelled a little better with the 752Fs than the Audiolab - although the Audiolab remained a very popular choice nonethless. The C+P with either 752 could should a little too bright and atonal - but that's nitpicking. The NAD and Rotel would add a little bit of warmth and texture back into the sound. The Audiolab worked well with other popular speakers of the time.

Those who didn't like the 752F at the time complained of exactly the same symptons as yourself. It was a little closed-in sounding compared to the original 752, and lacked the 'projection' of the original too - though thankfully it didn't have the steely top-end either ! If you are looking for a more 'out of the box' sound, then the 752F is not going to be for you, but the 782 might. The Audiolab will not sufficiently alter the characteristics you baulked at on the 752F - certainly not compared with the NAD.

Certainly you ought to have a listen if possible, because you're clearly sensitive to these different sonic characteristics, as proven in your ho-hum comments on the 752F (echoing the comments of those who didn't like the speaker at the time). I'd recommend you step away from them at this point, because I discovered that characteristic can't be removed by a clever amp choice - even a Cyrus.

The 782 is greatly different to the 752F as Superpixel has certainly discovered at least. Lol ! However, just like me, you might much prefer them - because that's the way hi-fi works. Then we can just say it's personal preference, instead of having to endure silly and empty statements like: "A classic case of newer definitely NOT being better."

5. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Lost Cause, thanks for the comments. :rolleyes:

Its been such a long time that I've listened to any other HiFi, than my own.

I like the sound of Arcam Alpha 5 and MS 25i Pearls make, but I feel I need more control, the higher I push the volume. Also, I'm willing to trade its warmth for more sting and slam.

I have auditioned (newer stuff) but its hard to audition "older" HiFi, as its not on sale anymore. So YOU tell me where to audition :mad:

I am seeking experience of owners who have had the pleasure of the combinations I mentioned, and why sometimes it doesn't work. So thanks to those for their honest assessment.

I also know HiFi is, in general, reliable, as mine is still sounding good after all these years. Maybe I shouldn't bother then.

Thanks, AnilS.

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Have you considered the 753F?

I like my 753Fs a great deal. Warmer, bassier and much more cuddly than the 752F which I auditioned in a few different dealers prior to purchase of the 753Fs. I auditioned the 753Fs as well. (I'd be very interested to hear "Lost Cause's" impressions of the 753Fs) :)

If you are happy with your kit go on enjoying it for as long as you can. I visit dealers and annual shows but never hear anything that comes close to my own kit at home. Probably highly subjective, but who cares? It's what you enjoy at home that matters in the end. Not what the latest mag review says about a new XYZ. :)

If you want to audition discontinued speakers you have to find local sellers on the secondhand market. Make an appointment, go along and listen. Dealers sometimes list better secondhand kit and will/should let you listen before buying. But a quiet midweek is probably better than a busy Saturday morning.

Be just as ruthless as if you were buying new speakers. Any lingering doubts...then simply don't buy them.

Nimby

7. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Nimby thanks. Thats probably the most constructive response I've had :) .

I didn't even know that the 753F existed!

The way things stand presently, I'm looking get either Audiolab C+P OR NAD C370/372. I can listen to the NAD C372 as its on sale (£400) with a range of speakers, but not the older stuff.

Nimby, I think you have given me another avenue to explore, and thats staying with Arcam (maybe A80/85?) and going from there.

Thanks again.

AnilS.

8. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Nimby
    It's a tougher call between the 782 and the 753F, because the 753 always was a great speaker that did so many things well. Ultimately, the 782 is capable of better detail resolution and is more neutral - but the 753F counters in other areas.

The 753F was certainly much warmer than the original, but reading between the lines, I don't think that is the sort of sound AnilS is after. I think he wants something with a bit more incision and gusto. In that respect, an original 753 might be more to his liking (rather than the Freedom version), and the 782 should still be kept on the shortlist.

Arcams with a 752F and 753F is going to be a very warm and cuddly experience.

An Audiolab C+P with a 753 or 753F is the very model of 'hi-fi' as the layman understands it; fast, tight, exciting... if that's your bag.

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Thanks.

What's your bag? :)

Nimby

10. drvan

drvan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Just got a pair of 752's for 130 quid, what!!, ok the plith's have some damage to them the last owner must have had a hamster with appetite for heavy plastic but the best pair of speakers I have ever had the pleasure of p1ssing my neighbours off with and my B&W P4's are now being used as a coffee table!

11. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Congratulations!

You might try asking Mission if there are any replacement 752 plinths left. :)

Regards
    Nimby

12. the_record_spot

the_record_spot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, this is probably way too late to be of help here, but someone looking in another time might find it useful....my own experience is with the original 752 and I'd wholeheartedly recommend those especially given their used price now (circa £100, although I picked up mine for less than £80). That allied to the fact that their original RRP - which was around the £500 mark in the mid-1990s - meant they were unlikely to be thrashed by their owners.

Wonderful speaker for the money, detail aplenty, clarity, not heard it being particularly steely at the top end, but I'm sure it could were it partnered with such an amp known for a brittle high end. Bass is very good, but as aforementioned, this is a speaker that needs careful partnering and positioning.

I have found Peter Walker's law of thirds works well in my room, probably like many others, and I use an approximation of that. The 752 sits well out from the rear wall, about 1.5 metres, and roughly the same again in from the side wall. Not a true "third" but we have a busy household so I can't hog the space with speakers! :)

My amp recently changed from the rather good Marantz PM6010-KI, to the slightly older Sansui AU-217 which makes for a far better match currently. Audioquest Type IV speaker cable and Copperheard interconnect between the Marantz SA7001 CDP and amp.

The 752s made the biggest difference though; huge soundstage, big presentation, detail aplenty and good throughout the frequencies. Highly recommended.