• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mission 733i vs Q Acoustics 2050i

Zakindi

Novice Member
Hi, could anyone with a bit of experience give me some advice please. I have recently purchased a Teac A-h500 amp with the matching cd and radio seperates. They came with a pair of mission 733i floorstsnders from the mid to late 90s, probably all bought new together.

The speakers are in good condition and there is only one small hairline crack in one of the drivers, which are known to be brittle.

The speakers sound quite good, but would there be any benefit from upgading to a more modern newer speaker such as the Q Acoustics 2050i? Is newer better? Would there be much difference in sound? Or would i just be wasting my money?

Thanks in advance

muljao

If they sound good enough I'd leave be. The missions were good in their day, so likely still good. It does depend though if the hairline crack is impeding on the sound

droidlike

they are both 2-way speakers

imho
I believe that a real sq improvement
can be had almost only
with 3-way speakers
imho

Zakindi

Novice Member
sorry for slow reply, thank you both for your input. I have noticed another 2 hairline cracks appear in the same cone. I cannot really tell for sure if its affecting sound, although playing with the balance control knob, it sounds as if the other speakers sounds marginally better allround. These speakers must be atleast 20 years old now, has speaker technology improved much in this time? So a 3 way speaker would possibly be a better option, any suggestions?

Cheers

muljao

sorry for slow reply, thank you both for your input. I have noticed another 2 hairline cracks appear in the same cone. I cannot really tell for sure if its affecting sound, although playing with the balance control knob, it sounds as if the other speakers sounds marginally better allround. These speakers must be atleast 20 years old now, has speaker technology improved much in this time? So a 3 way speaker would possibly be a better option, any suggestions?

Cheers
I've no knowledge of 2 way or 3 way etc, but those q acoustics are great sounding speakers, hard to get better new for the 300 pounds they go for now

Zakindi

Novice Member
The excellent value for money is what grabbed my attention, but would they be better than the mission 733's with the setup i have?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom