1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 707 replacement needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BliarOut, May 24, 2005.

1. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not been my week.... The plasma got took out by lightning, so I thought I would recommission my old audio kit. Made my cat5 cables up and woke it all up. Brilliant, so much top end response, but very little bass and mid range. Has the cat5 made it too bright I thought. Let it all warm up, but no there was a definite warble to the mid range and virtually no bass. Off come the covers. Oh dear. Lots of rubber in the bottom of the covers that once used to form part of the cones. :eek: Looks like speakers have a definite life expectancy!

So I need a replacement for my beloved Mission 707's

Currently I have a Cyrus DVD-8 which I'm intending to partner with the AV-8 and three SmartPowers, which I may add a pair of Cyrus monoblocks to to run the fronts if it doesn't have enough oomph.

I am woefully out of touch with speakers though. What is there that has a nice rich sound. I like it detailed so I can hear the frets on a guitar, but I don't like a sharp sound. I am going to be using it all as part of a home cinema setup so speakers that compliment each other are on the cards. The room is fairly large, so small speakers are out.

Oh, and the budget is already very depleted, so I can't really run into megabucks.

Any advice welcome.

2. missionman

missionman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to keep your speakers, and your cones are still intact even though the surrounds may have disintegrated, send the bass drivers to wembley loudspeakers for repair (http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/).

From the current Mission speaker range have a listen to the m35i, which you can match to m3c2i centre and m3ds surrounds in an av system. (I'd love to suggest the elegante e82 system but you say funds are limited).

You might also find the m73i still on sale at Richer Sounds.

Mr Mission

3. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.... I do like the sound of Mission speakers. To my ears they are punchy without being sharp.

I take it the M3AS goes with them?

4. missionman

missionman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure does

5. aardvark110664

aardvark110664
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bliarout,

I had exactly the same problem with my Mission 707's foam rotting around the edge of the woofers.

I couldnt be bothered to use a re-foam kit & couldnt get replacement drivers from Mission, so I bought a pair of non Mission drivers & so far they sound like quality tones to me. Definately comparable to the original woofers.

Visaton WS 20 E | 8 Ohm 20 cm/8ins <<< that is the model of the replacement driver. I bought the pair from rapidonline.com & it was only £35.13 for both including delivery. I ordered them about 5pm yesterday & got them at 8.20 this morning.

They dont fit in the recess in the cabinets quite as well as the originals but fit good enough for the job & is a cheap & easy fix for the much lovable old 707's, that takes all of 5 minutes to do!

Hope this helps anybody reading.