1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 702e's distorting at low volume.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by agw_01, Jan 6, 2003.

1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently got a pair of Mission 702e speakers to replace my 700s, which are now being used as my surround speakers in my setup.
    I also have a Yamaha DSP-AX 620 Amplifier.

I have a problem which im sure should not be happening.

My 702e's can take power upto the -23dB mark when listening to something with a lot of bass. When turning the bass down completely, I can get to -17dB. Anything more and the speakers distort madly.

I am having a guess that -23dB is around a quarter volume as my 700s used to distort at around half volume when connected to my old Sony TAFE-230 amp.

Surely, this cannot be right, as my 702e's should be able to take more this this as they have a power rating of 100w/pch.

I have the bass/treble settings set to flat and the 702e's set as the LFE channel.

Please help as Im really annoyed with these speakers. Is this right for these speakers or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

2. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm guessign you mean on DVDs?

I had the same problem with my Evo 3's at first, but i soon realised i hadnt diverted the bass to the sub..

The problem is with DVDs is that the LFE channel can go very loud, and explosions can be hard to handle, i think your speakers basically cannot handle the low frequency information...

You could get a sub...

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or your clipping your amp. I think your drivers will bottom out if the signal is clean, and you have too much bass. but im not sure.

4. JFK

JFK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Try less lfe, around about -5 for DD and +5 for DTS. I have the AX620 set on bass + lfe to mains which are B&W 602 s3. Also bass boost button switched off (position out) and bass and treble dials set to 12 0'clock position.

When set up as above, I watch Phanton Menace R2, volume at about -15db/-10db, and LOTR FOTR XE dts R1 -20db/-15db. Room size is 15.5ft x 24ft.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Is it a distortion or a rattle? The 702e's have a known design fault where sometimes the front baffle comes loose and rattles at high volumes. Check to see if the black plastic front around the cones is fully tight, but don't try to over-tighten the screws - it's not a driver problem.

Email Mission with your concerns too, they may be able to assist you further.

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I had a pair of 701s that did exactly the same thing, and like Nobber said it was the front baffle rattling. I eventually stipped the speakers down (out of warranty) and glued everything down nice and tight.

So, put some loud, deep sounds on and feel the baffle to see if its come loose.

7. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying.

No, it is distortion, not the baffle rattling.

Oli, it distorts on all sources... well less when listening to my computer. I can crank it up to -15dB when playing Unreal Tournament 2003 and it doesn't distort.

I have the bass/treble controls set to 12 o'clock and the bass extension is set to off. I am using the speakers for the LFE channel but I just thought that these speakers could take a bit more than -20dB when listening to something with a lot of bass.

I am thinking about getting a subwoofer. What could I get for around £200 which would be pretty pleasing?

Nobber, I think I will e-mail Mission just to see what they say.

Again, thanks for replying.

8. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have the same amp and speakers to urself,except i also have a mission centre 70ci.

I can only crank my amp upto -30 DB BEFORE IT SOUNDS LIKE THE SPEAKERS MAY SHAKE THEMSELF OUT THE ROOM.

Like urself im welldissapointed i thought they would be able to handle loads of power,they obviously dont.

Some dvds i cant even get upto -30,event horizon is probably the worst.

so looks like time to get a subwoofer any advice on sub for this setup would be appreciated.

9. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Thanks for replying.

Im sorry to hear that you can only get your speakers upto -30dB.

If I set the amp up so that it sends all the LFE frequencies to the sub that doesn't exist, I can get them upto about -13dB, not much of a difference.

I wouldn't mind as it is loud enough, but im pretty sure that -10dB is half way, so the speakers aren't even doing 45 wp/ch.

I used to know someone who is the manager of a Practical Hi-Fi store in the UK, who said that Mission speakers were not designed for bass. I can see what she meant. lol

Ive been looking for a sub woofer aswell, and am saving up around £200 to get a decent one.

Oh, yesterday I "borrowed" my sisters DVD player and connected it to the amp. DVDs must have a lower output than other devices as I could get all the DVDs my sister has, right upto -5 dB without the speakers distorting. :eek:

Surely this isn't right.

10. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Okay m8 keep us posted on what sub u purchase and if it solves the problem, im looking for a sub too but £200 is a lot of money i got my fronts rear and center speaker for about £200 from richer sounds.

Richer sounds have some cheap subs at the moment wonder if there any good,they start at about £70,give them a look.

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a look on my sons 620 and -10db is just about flat out for this amp, I don't think you have a problem with the speakers but more the amp protesting at the very high volumes you are playing at.

12. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Too be honest i dont think the amp is protesting at -30db for me,its the speakers.

I have a old pioneer a-300x amp (STEREO AMP), that i used with mission 760is, this combination was far louder than my av setup.

Infact thinkin of this is there anyway i can link my a-300x into my av system and is an a an stereo amp a good idea?

13. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I callibrated my sons system to reference level (75db) as the volume for the fronts are fixed to the master volume you can't adjust individually on the test tones, so adjusted the volume manually till I got 75db on the meter, the display read -26db, so listening even at -30db will be close to reference level, don't know many here that can listen to that sort of volume all the time, unless the pair of you have front rooms the size of the Albert Hall or have a build up of wax in your ears. ;)

Have a check that you have "Normal" selected in "1E Main Level" section of the set up menu, if -10db is selected this can decrease the main speaker output by about 1/3 of the normal level, if -10db is selected then I can understand the high readings on your volume, other than that I think the pair of you want to go halves on some disco equipment. :D

Hope you get it sorted, just glad I don't live next door to you. :)

14. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    dISCO EQUIPMENT,good idea, i do like my music loud and like to play hifi so it can be heard in other rooms thats why i want it as loud as possible.

Wax in ears dont need that im deaf enough after spending tomuch time in deafining clubs.

Anyway my amp is set up right its just that when i attempt to play music loud the bass cripples the system by making speakers
    distort.

what about linking the pioneer a-300x into system ?

15. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I bought a £50 Gale SW5 Sub from RicherSounds and ended up taking it back. Utter nonsense. LOL. Im saving up for one of those paradigm subs. They look nice.

Lol. Disco Equipment would be rather nice... but I agree. The amp isn't having trouble at -30dB. Its not too loud. -20dB starts to get deafening.

Ill have a look around for a sub and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again

P.S. As for the Pioneer system. Ive never had any experience, so wouldn't know whether to recommend it. Sorry