1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 702e housing rattling inside case

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by amoss, Jan 2, 2005.

1. amoss

amoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of Mission 702e floorstanding speakers. Unfortunately speakers and 1.5 year old children don't mix well, and a bump or two means that the the speaker housing now moves slighlty within the case. At any reasonably volume the result is a horrific rattling of the housing against the case. The housing is still kept in generally the right place though, just moves slightly. The cones themselves are still screwed solid to the housing. However whatever it is that keeps the black housing steady within the case is not working properly. I am very hesitant to ditch the speakers without checking what is wrong (I did like them), but there doesn't seem an easy way in.

Could anyone fill me in on what the internal structure of these speakers are, and what is likely to have broken. Also if I wanted to pull them apart and attempt some sort of fix, what is the best way of going about getting in?

Much thanks

Amos

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I am not sure about the 702's but basically most box speakers are exactly that, boxes with holes for the drivers. I would take out the largest driver and look inside. Most speaker boxes are held together with glue so it is possible one of the seams has broken.

3. amoss

amoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 702s have a chipboard I guess) box. The top front of the box has a plastic housing, and all the speaker cones and the front facing port are mounted in this housing. The speaker cones are screwed in tight. I am guessing you are suggesting that normally the plastic housing would just be glued in place to stop any movement. I had presumed they were screwed, but being glued might make sense and might make them fixable, although I confess I am a little surprised that the glue can hold against the vibrations of the speaker.

Thanks for your comment: I'll have a look and see. Of course other suggestions are welcome.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    This was a comon fault with the 702's the trouble is i can't quite remember what it was.
    It was either a loose driver or a fault with the driver.

5. XSIV ONE

XSIV ONE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a problem with the 702's, but it was nothing to do with the drivers. It was due to a breakdown of the glue seal holding the front baffle in place. It can be cured by using PVA or hot melt glue, but you will need to remove the drivers and x-over in order to gain access. Just run a bead of glue along the internal edges of the front baffle and this will cure the problem, it will also prevent any air leaks.

I should know as I had the same problem. (it's a little tricky, but worth it)

XSIV.ONE

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I said i couldn't remember. :oops:

7. zetecuk

zetecuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem with mine - I removed the speaker cones and glued the plastic bit back to the case with grip-fill.

8. The Yeti

The Yeti
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine have started to this to! I use them as rears and sometimes they rattle what I've noticed is the whole speaker housing is loose? is it a real tricky job? as I need to fix it.there are 4 holes around the incasement are these screw holes?