1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 700's, not impressed!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by elshiftos, Apr 25, 2003.

1. elshiftos

elshiftos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a pair of these on a whim, after seeing a few good reviews and because they were 50 quid!
    With them on stands, about 300mm from the wall (as much room as i can spare), the bottom end is wooly and underfined, and all bass instruments tend to sound the same. The're better when Im positioned in the sweet spot, but as soon as I move out of it, things get nasty.
    I decided to take them back for a replacement or refund so I need some ideas on what else to get, I've decided to up the *maximum* budget to 150 pounds.
    Something in a similar size and power rating that can be situated fairly close to the back wall would be ideal, and possibly larger for that bit more low end.
    A couple that have faired well in reviews are the Wharefedale diamond 8.2's and the Mission M72's.
    What do ya reckon?

Cheers

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    The Mission M7's and Wharfedale Diamonds will eat the 700's for breakfast....

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've got a pair of Diamond 8.1s which I found sounded better than the 8.2 and 8.3. I have mine on Atacama SE24 stands which add £80 to the price. The 8.2s have slightly more bass and the 8.3s even more but the cabinet construction isn't much better so the larger drivers and internal volume do more damage to the sonics than what they add. My diamonds are in the system I use in my flat so they don't need to play that loud. If you want high volumes then have a look at Acoustic Energy and, if your budget will stretch B&Ws.

I've not heard the Missions you mention but I do have a pair of Mission 774 floorstanders in another system and rate them very highly. Richer Sounds might have some of the smaller speakers in this range left 773e floor stander(£180), 772 stand mount (£120-£150) and 771e stand mount (£80-£100). Any of these would be worth a listen and they also have real wood veneers.

Cheers

BB

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Have a look at some M73i there in your buget have a look here.Or have a look round for some stand mounters if floorstanding speakers are too big.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Easy on the 700's everyone. I have them and some Mission M73's and the little guys sound great. Yours are brand new. Give them some time to run in, you be surprised how they open up after a weekend of use.

They are warmer sounding than the newer Mission and Wharfedale speakers, so if you are using warm partners (Yamaha, Technics, Cambridge Audio) they can sound less exciting than you may prefer. But don't write them off just yet. Run them in.

I assume you got them from RS, so you have a full 7 days before you can't return them.

6. elshiftos

elshiftos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Nobber, I wouldn't say they lack excitement, but I do find the bottom end bland, wooly and *overpowering* at the moment. Do you really think that running-in will have that much affect on the bottom end response?

Cheers

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can definitely recommend the 771e, if you can get your hands on a pair (particularly for £100 - they were originally £200 and worth it). Should definitely clear up your woolly bass problem, as their bass is very much of the 'lean-and-tight' variety.

Cheers,

Dunc

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Nice way of saying lacking in low-end IMO.:(

9. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Well, what they lack in ultimate depth, they will make up for with speed and agility, and that can sometimes be preferable to ultimate depth IMO.

However, its fairly well known the 771's are touch bass light.

10. elshiftos

elshiftos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0