1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 7.1 setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lee_car, May 29, 2005.

1. lee_car

lee_car

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi
    i currently have a denon 2105 receiver, Mission V6c Center, V60 and M7DS Bipoles. at the moment i am using the v60's as the fronts but i want to make the system into 7.1 so would i be best using the v61's that are around £250 or the m73I from richer sounds for £100 as the fronts and then use the 60's at the rear with the bipole's as the sides? i like the floor standing speakers but cant stretch to the Volare Range prices but i also like the volare's on the stand so which are best out of the two?
    and the side speakers do they have to be ear level or can they go higher? its just the window is on one side?
    thanks Lee

2. missionman

missionman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We would recommend matching the tonal quality of speakers all round in an AV setup, so suggest that you use v61s at the front rather than m73i. If you like the v60 then there is no reason why you can't buy another pair of those (Superfi have them at £150).
    The advantage of the v61 would be a greater dynamic range, but you know what the v60s are like as fronts so its really your choice.
    As for the sides and rears we would really like you to be using two pairs of v6ds (or m5ds - same product different name) OR two pairs of v60s. Otherwise we'd suggest the m7ds at the rear and the v60s on the side walls.
    This format is preferred as the left and right surround channels carry better defined sound than the rear channel, so the tonal matching is more important for the left/right surrounds.
    The advantage of placing surround speakers above head height is that you get better coverage of all listeners and envelope them in a wash of sound. However for multichannel music some people prefer to hear direct sound from the surround speakers, in which case position them at ear level - the choice is yours.
    Either way position the left/right surround speakers slightly to the rear of the listening position on the side walls.
    You didn't mention a subwoofer?

Mr Mission

3. korman

korman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mr. Mission
    Sorry for hijacking the thread but I have a related question. My setup is also based on Mission Volare: V63 as the fronts and V6C centre. As rears I use Quad 11L which I previously used for stereo. This is driven by Pio 1014 amp and Pio575 DVD player. The sub is MJ Acoustics 50. Although I am very happy with stereo (V63 and MJ50 fed by Marantz CD7300, Marantz PM7400) the surround sound is not very impressive neither with DVD nor with multichannel music. I can hardly hear rear speakers, even though I adjusted their volume much higher than the fronts and the centre. This could by partially due to positioning. Quads are currently sitting on Atacama Nexus stands close to the rear wall at the ear level, but the backs of armchair and the sofa are pretty high and they probably block any sound coming from rear speakers. I was thinking to replace Quads (which are great with stereo, but probably overqualified for rears) with two pairs of Missions, either 4 bipolar (5, 7, 70, 77, 78? DS) or 2 bipolar for rear and 2xV60 or 61 for side surrounds). Pricewise it should be about the same as 2 Quads if I sell them and this should hopefully improve overall tonal balance (all missions), solve the impedance issue (Quads are 6 ohm, and all Missions are 8) and positioning problem (because they will be mounted about 2 m high on the walls). Do you think this is a right way to go? Which bipolar Missions will match better? Thanks, Korman.