1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 6 pack?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Wanny, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Wanny

Wanny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to spend to approx £350-400 on a set of speakers. The Mission six pack seems good value at this price as it includes all 5 speakers and an active sub. But presumably the speakers aren't that great.
    So I am thinking should I spend my cash on a set of better speakers and forget about the sub (for now) or should I run with this?
    It is nigh on impossible for me to audition anything because my local shops are crap (and I live on an island so am stuffed for choice) so I am likely to buy mail order.

Any suggestions?
    Cheers.
    ps I will be running them with my imminent purchase of a Yamaha A5 and Tosh SD100E, probably 50:50 music/film.

2. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the Kef Cresta 2 package from www.hifistore.co.uk for £270. This pack includes the Cresta 2 for the fronts, Cresta 1 for the rears and the Cresta Centre. Add a sub to the pack and you will have a very enjoyable setup for both films and music.

At £270 you can't argue with that. It included next day delivery and a 5 year warranty - I can't say enough about these guys.

You are left with the choice of putting the £100 - £150 you've got left towards a good sub or use it on good quality speaker cables.

3. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

If I were you, I'd go for as good speakers as your budget allows, and buy a sub later. Two reasons for that:

1) You won't notice the sub is missing until you actually have had it.

2) The better speakers you have, the less you'll miss a sub.

I'm not saying you don't need a Sub ! I just got one last friday, and it makes an amazing difference ! (And I'm only runnig on Pro-Login, while Denon 3801 is on Backorder). It does make a difference, and you do need one ! You just don't need it now [​IMG] (That's what I did).

Rui

4. Wanny

Wanny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, that is the thinking I was coming around to. I am now thinking off getting a set of Tannoy MX, the MX3/MXC/MX1 combination for £294 from unbeatable (if I can talk my mrs around to floorstanders!).
    But as my living room is approx 18'x12' will the floorstanders give me too much bass if I add a sub later (so would the mx2 be better)- or would there be enough bass there to not worry too much about getting one?

Anyone got or heard these speakers, the reviews seem good and what hi-fi used them for this months dvd test.
    Too many questions, I am getting a sore head.
    Cheers

5. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't audition them, but you defenatly won't get too much bass, because a sub will only play frequencies below the ones your speakers can't go... Then, it all depends where you put the whole thing... A sub near a corner, for ex, tends to be boomy.

But, just so you know, REL recomends the following for fine tuning your sub:

1)Put cutoff to max, and volume to min on the Sub.
    2) Increase volume on sub, until volume on sub and speakers is about the same.
    3) lower cutoff until the point where you think you just stopped hearing the sub. (this makes the sub play frequencies below speaker capacity). At this point, you will think your sub isn't adding anything to your sistem, because you can't actually hear it......... until you switch it off !!!!!!! (trust me, I've been doing this for the last 3 days ... Loads of fun !
    4) enjoy your sistem !

So, after all this wabble, I'll try to be clear: You never have too much bass when you add a sub to your sistem, simply because you're supposed to set it up so that the frequencies it plays are below the frequencies of your main speakers. They aren't supposed to cross too much, and therefore, you don't double bass... Bass just goes lower than before.

Another thins is that most HC amps divert some low bass from the mains to the sub, when told a sub is connected, which helps on the quality of the bass.

Then, and this is where the fun really starts, you can fine tune most sistems, to "pretend" your mains are big, small, etc... This also influences how the Amp manages bass. A small speaker setting sends more bass to the sub, and less to the mains. A large lets the mains do more Bass work.

After all this, did I just make you run away from HC ? (Sorry [​IMG] )

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui