1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing USB connector with new NW-HD3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by syeatman, Jul 29, 2005.

1. syeatman

syeatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a brand new HD3 today, £100 off from Argos - £149

Got it home and there is no USB connector. box was sealed so I am confused as to why there is no connector there. Obviously without it I cannot charge the unit so it is useless.

Has anyone heard of this before? Will take it back tomorrow and visit my local Sony store to see if they hopefully have one knocking around

Not particularly happy :mad:

2. hd5_host

hd5_host

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do you say you cannot return it? tell the store what you have received, it must can be returned.

3. syeatman

syeatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I said I would take it back. I'll go to the Sony store just to check if they have one i can take off them.

4. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The existing lead from my old Net MD(MZ-N1) looks identical to the one that came with my HD-5, so maybe a net-md lead will do the job if they have one of those available.

5. jceric

jceric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    indeed the usb connector for the HD3/5 is in fact a standart mini usb to normal usb connector

6. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the HD5 has a normal mini-USB port on the device. The HD3 though was a bit of a botched job and had a custom connector that would normally have been used for connecting to a dock like with the HD1. Since the HD3 never came with a dock, it required a small block adapter to be used that provided the mini-USB ports for your USB lead to plug in to, plus the socket for the power lead. A right stupid design, I guess there was every intention to ship it with a dock when the Sony engineers were designing it, but I'd imagine the Sony accountants decided there wasn't enough profit margin or something and ordered the dock be dropped. Engineers then had to scramble for a fudge. Lose that adapter and you're screwed.

7. syeatman

syeatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct - lose it and you are screwed. Just back from the local Sony store and predictably they do not have these available.

Should really take it back to the shop but there are not anymore available in stock anywhere, so I am happy to have bought the player for £150 and anything further I have to pay out for the connector.

Maybe I'll buy a couple or three :) Going travelling soon and do not want to be stuck without the ability to charge the unit for a couple of months.

Thanks for all the replies guys

Simon.

8. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0