Missing Signal on sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by markandclare, Oct 3, 2004.

1. markandclare

markandclare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I have had sky+ for over a year now, with absolutely no problems. Over the last couple of weeks, i've lost Living TV (no hardship), bravo, the music channels, and that is as far as i went to check. If I check the signal, I only get a signal from the bottom one, and the main one says not locked. If I take the lnb cable out of the back, then plug it back in, all is well. Then after a while, they are gone again.

Any ideas, or is this a £70 job? :lease: :(

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Sounds like the LNB is acting up, it requires the SKY+ tuner to send commands to switch polarities etc and if it doesn't receive these it will not be able to tune into half the channels on the satellites.
    When you disconnect and reconnect the LNB may default to a setup that allows you to tune into those missing channels but when attempt to alter the setting you get the errors again.
    It could of course be the SKY+ tuner1 and not the LNB.

It certainly sounds like you need someone to look at it, SKY's flat fee service is pretty good unless like many you consider 12 months a pitiful warranty period and as an ongoing subscriber why should you pay for servicing.
    Many people have got half price or even free callouts by going down the "cancellation" route, if they call your bluff you lose a bit of face that's all:)

3. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    I'll leave it a few days before i ring them, see how it goes for now, is there anything else that could problems, like maybe mobile phone signal interferring witht he signal quality?

I only thought of that cause on the old sky digital when i recorded something to VCR and i played the tape back, if i received a text or phone call it would record a buzzing noise for a sec on the recording, could it possibly be mobile phones?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Wireless energy can interrupt the reception of a satellite signal but I would have thought just based on random phone calls you would be losing the lock on both tuners at some point not just one.

If the dish is within easy reach you could with some care take the existing LNB connection and use one of the current spare outputs.

5. markandclare

markandclare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought about trying the other connections, but how do you get the bottom off the lnb, to expose the connections. I tried but can't figure it out :blush: :blush:

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You don't need to open up the LNB at all, the connections are just there, or should be...

Quad LNB

It's just a matter of removing any insulating/waterproofing tape and then the plastic "boots" and re-connecting to a spare output.

7. markandclare

markandclare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quad lnb I have has a plastic piece that snaps on once the cables are attached, so there is no need for the self amalgamating tape. Any ideas?

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Not seen a Quad like that (mind you that means bugger all).
    :)

I would assume if the plastic piece covers all four connections there must be a way to remove it, wouldn't make sense for it to be a permenant seal.

You could try asking for some better informed advice on the Satcure Forum

9. Emm

Emm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This sounds like a Skyware Quad LNB.

The plastic trim/shield is held in place on the LNB by a couple of small tabs at the 'front' and 'back'. To remove, carefully 'pinch' the trim between the centre where the two middle connections/wires on the LNB are and the trim should come away exposing the terminals.

Hope that helps (difficult to describe, but dead easy to do).

I've attached an image where I've indicated the tabs on the cover and the corresponding lugs on the LNB.

:cool:

Attached Files: