Missing registration card for Sony camcord

Kevron

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I bought the Sony dcr-hc96e minidv camcorder last week from Ebuyer on AVForums advice from member and so far I am very pleased with it. The only thing is is that the guarantee card which has the registration number on it is missing and therefore I can not register it with Sony online. The box was sealed with plastic so I do not think that anyone else has had it before me.I`ve contacted Ebuyer and they say that it does not matter as it is covered by their website guarantee anyway. Can anyone advice on this matter as I`ve never bought anything electrical before that did not have a guarantee card. Thanks in advance for your advice, Kevin.

I shouldn't worry, they usually are nothing to do with Sony really, it gets sent to Domestic and General who then offer extended insurance.

It certainly shouldn't affect your warranty as long as you have a receipt, but if you're really concerned why not contact Sony support and ask them to send you one?

The only thing is is that the guarantee card which has the registration number on it is missing and therefore I can not register it with Sony online.

My Dad has just bought one from eBuyer too with the same problem. :(

Mine arrived from Ebuyer today. No warranty or registration card in the box. They didn't supply a mains lead with a UK plug either. I've sent them an e-note and I'm awaiting their reply.

Mine arrived from Ebuyer today. No warranty or registration card in the box. They didn't supply a mains lead with a UK plug either. I've sent them an e-note and I'm awaiting their reply.

This is the answer that I had from Ebuyer regarding my camcorder`s missing registration card -` The guarantee card and serial number are not essential as the warranty for the item is complete via our website`. I`ve written to Sony and I`m waiting for a reply, I`ll let you Know how I get on. I`ve also asked Sony why they do not give a free bag and battery to mini dv camcorder purchasers as they do give them to purchasers of dvd and hdd camcorders, but you have to send them your receipt and registration card !

I`ve also asked Sony why they do not give a free bag and battery to mini dv camcorder purchasers as they do give them to purchasers of dvd and hdd camcorders, but you have to send them your receipt and registration card !

I think you'll find that they don't exclude the latest mini dv models, e.g. DCR-HC27, DCR-HC37, DCR-HC45, DCR-HC47 are all eligible for the offer. It's just the discontinued models that are excluded. I'm rather miffed about this myself.

Well I`ve had an answer from Sony at last and they say that they will be sending me a 16 digit registration number but no freebies. Oh well, it was worth a try. The camera is `wonderful`though and I am more than pleased with it, thanks to Mark for his advice. All I have to do now is to learn how to edit on my computer:confused: . I have Sonic `My dvd`, Windows movie maker and Ulead Video studio 8 but only the latter seems to do everything I need to do, the others require an upgrade. My brother suggests Pinnacle 10.5, any advice ? Thanks for this excellent site and everyone who contributes. Kevin.

Kevin,

Glad you are enjoying the HC96.

Senu is the Pinnacle expert.. they just released version 11.
Also Ulead Video Studio has a new version (also 11).
Then there is Premiere Elements, and my favourite Sony Vegas (Movie Studio Platinum is the "affordable" version).

They all have free trials so you can try before you buy.

:thumbsup: Thank you once again Mark.
Kevin,

Glad you are enjoying the HC96.

Senu is the Pinnacle expert.. they just released version 11.
Also Ulead Video Studio has a new version (also 11).
Then there is Premiere Elements, and my favourite Sony Vegas (Movie Studio Platinum is the "affordable" version).

They all have free trials so you can try before you buy.

Well I`ve had an answer from Sony at last and they say that they will be sending me a 16 digit registration number but no freebies.

If possible, could you please let me know what address you wrote to? I e-mailed Sony about this but have had no reply. :mad:

... All I have to do now is to learn how to edit on my computer . I have Sonic `My dvd`, Windows movie maker and Ulead Video studio 8 but only the latter seems to do everything I need to do, the others require an upgrade. My brother suggests Pinnacle 10.5, any advice ? Thanks for this excellent site and everyone who contributes.... Kevin.

Kevin .
what precisely do you wish to know about Pinnacle Studio?. Had you considered anything else?

Senu,

It was this general statement I thought you could help with..

My brother suggests Pinnacle 10.5, any advice ?

Thanks Senu, but I have not started to edit yet, Ive managed to capture and save with windows moviemaker and record direct to dvd with Sonic My dvd, but I think all these are confusing me!. There is a Pinnacle version 10.5 for sale on ebay for about ÂŁ8 and I wondered if that would be suitable, my brother reccomends it. Otherwise I`ll just play about with the Video Studio 8 that came with the computer for now because my son is getting married next month and the funds are low for now. Thanks, Kevin

Using Windows Movie maker is a gentle introduction to Editing.. It is Ok in that
Burning to DVD with Sonic is sort of OK too
If you have got the hang of doing it with those .. you are half way there

You shouldnt find them confusing but if you do, pls just say at which point I'm sure someone here will help you out.
Video Studio 8 is OK as well but although newbee friendly, it makes it harder for you to use and enjoy software that has a more "logical sequence" as its interface is IMO "clunky" ( for want of a better expression)
Vers 9 is Similar but 10+ is better
Now that they are on ver 11 , 10+ is going for £19 at PC World!
I digress
Pinnacle Studio too is now on ver 11 ( not yet in the shops)

It is one of the best Budget programs in terms of ease of "How to Edit".. and it has some advanced features which are available when you get confident enough to try them
Ver 10 plus.. especially used in timeline mode is a very nice way to go from Tape to DVD without needing to acquire a degree along the way:cool:

The problem with Pinnacle Studio is that for some people it Works very well.. for some it is very erratic and unstable and for some it simply doesn't work at all

If you have an inkling you'll be in the last 2 categories, its not worth bothering with as it can be a major PITA.
There are 2 reasons why this is so
1) You may have got to the point of actually finishing the edit before it plays up..That is very frustrating
2) Pinnacle... and well meaning "techie" friends will give you all sorts of ( well meant) advice which may not work and you might end up thinking its you or your PCs fault: Usually this isn't the case:nono:

It works for me and infact my niece has won an award and scholarship on account of 2 feature length videos She and her mates did with it. She can use Avid Liquid & Vegas as well but didn't feel inclined to try and teach her mates:eek: ( Would have taken forever)
So when Pinnacle Studio works it's brilliant: will it work for you?...:confused: Dunno TBH
It remains unknown if ver 11 will prove to be Stable from scratch ( Pinacle release patches quite often)

Saying that, All software play up from time to time (including Uleads VideoStudio: some on these forums cant seem to get good quality end product video off it).
Pinnacle Studio just seems to have put off quite a few people. Liquid Edition ( also from Pinnacle ) ( now Avid) is rock solid but it isn't so affordable

For £9, It is worth trying.. If it works for you ,, great if not give up on it quickly and well give you other alternatives
As you say funds are low...( when are they never low?:)) , there are downloads trials for other Products
If you get stuck you can PM me
HTH

:thumbsup: Thanks Senu, to be honest I`m surprised at what I am able to do with my computer [ basics ], usually I find that its easier to do something on the computer than to read how to do it and I get a lot of help from my brother and now I know that people like yourself are so willing to help. Its a great site. Kevin.:)

"You never know till you try" :D (Says my 6 year old to me fairly often)

I know just what you mean

Mark ( Redsox ) had been extolling the virtues of Sony Vegas and I got them at work to buy it for me to try but found it a bit bewildering at first

Pinnacle Studio does spoil you in that ( its dead easy). Although I also use Avid Liquid which can be just as bewildering at first :eek:

But because I had to teach folk how to use Vegas too,that couldnt continue

I then spent just 20 min with someone who was used to it and.. the penny dropped.

There are however, videos ( I have a home made one), online tutorials, which are easier to face than books
They are the next best thing to having somebody show you.
Otherwise there is seldom a shortage of friendly advice in these forums

Im sorry if the Pinnacle answer is a bit long winded but I cant really condemn it ( as many will) or endorse unreservedly .
Hope you found the post useful

I am bidding for the Pinnacle on ebay but the seller has pleanty in stock @ ÂŁ8 which is a very good price. If I may I`ll give you a shout when I`m stuck after I start using it.

No problem!, I may have one gathering dust somewhere in the house but..where:confused::D

Hello
If you check the Sony UK website and look up under warranty it states that the camcorder has to be returned with the original sales receipt in order to qualify under the warranty. It looks like they may not therefore include a warranty card with the camcorder. I'm also currently awaiting delivery of the HC96 from ebuyer and it will be interesting to see if the registration card is missing again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom