• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Missing My PC

Holowlegs

Hello there

Just a little update.

Bloke in the PC shop gave me the bad news today.

One of my hard drives has failed and graphics card.

So had a chat and have asked him to give me a price on new graphics card, new Hard drive. Also upgrade the ram from 2 gbs to 4 gbs and a new case.

Another upgrade is a new screen, have been looking at 22" and 24" ones, but can't make up my mind yet. May need some help here.

What this has made me realize is that the PC is a very important part of my photography and that its as important as the camera and lens in this digtal age.

Sorry I haven't been posting a lot latly. But the screen on this work lap top isn't the best.

Still been out taking pictures, but just can't do anything with them at the moment.

Hopefully I will be back posting pictures soon.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

senu

Distinguished Member
Sorry to hear the Old PC has died
Thankfully you still have a laptop .. that works kind of

We'll try hard not to miss the Birds.. it will be hard work

Seriously sounds like you need a new PC though; Do the Sums and see
Parts + Labour Vs New PC with 1 year guarantee
I hope your HDD hasnt caused you to lose crucial data .. that can be a real PITA
On a more down to earth note.. How did the HDD and graphic card go at the same time.. was there a power surge?
Makes you wonder what might happen if you replace them

Gow87

You will probably find that a new PC could actually be cheaper. Older systems can be more expensive to upgrade and you're essentially prolonging the inevitable of the other bits failing!

If you want any advice, PC's are my thing :) In return, show me how to take a good photograph! :rotfl:

Oh and I've got a nice shiny 24" that does the job nicely. But Image quality should take priority over size, so look for IPS or PVA panels!

Farno

Get along to a shop that sells iMac's and given them a go.
I only use a mac mini and have no problems running aperture, lightroom or any of the adobe photoshop stuff.
Mac mini - Apple Store (U.K.)
you can upgrade the RAM(cost me £15 for 2GB of Crucial) to only 2GB, but everything works fine on it, mines the older 1.66 version
Under £400 for a Mac

milkmanchris

Get along to a shop that sells iMac's and given them a go.
I only use a mac mini and have no problems running aperture, lightroom or any of the adobe photoshop stuff.
Mac mini - Apple Store (U.K.)
you can upgrade the RAM(cost me £15 for 2GB of Crucial) to only 2GB, but everything works fine on it, mines the older 1.66 version
Under £400 for a Mac

Or find yourself a student and get one with 17.5% discount, 24" 2.8 under a grand with 3 years onsite.

Holowlegs

Sorry to hear the Old PC has died
Thankfully you still have a laptop .. that works kind of

We'll try hard not to miss the Birds.. it will be hard work

Seriously sounds like you need a new PC though; Do the Sums and see
Parts + Labour Vs New PC with 1 year guarantee
I hope your HDD hasnt caused you to lose crucial data .. that can be a real PITA
On a more down to earth note.. How did the HDD and graphic card go at the same time.. was there a power surge?
Makes you wonder what might happen if you replace them

Hopefully will find out the price tomorrow.

Was going to update the graphics card next. It an old AGP card the motherboard I have can also take PCI express.

It is strange that they both went at the same time.

I bet you a whole new PC with a 1 yr warranty comes in not much more....

I did look at a new one, but I didn't feel you got a lot for your money really, wasn't to impressed with spec's that I seen, and that was looking at PC around the £800 mark.

You will probably find that a new PC could actually be cheaper. Older systems can be more expensive to upgrade and you're essentially prolonging the inevitable of the other bits failing!

If you want any advice, PC's are my thing :) In return, show me how to take a good photograph! :rotfl:

Oh and I've got a nice shiny 24" that does the job nicely. But Image quality should take priority over size, so look for IPS or PVA panels!

From what I can tell the bits that will be left are the motherboard (6 months old), one Sata Hard drive ( approx a year old), one power supply ( aprox 6 months old, processer and heat sink fan that sits on top.( 6 months old)

New bits will be a case, new ram, and a new SATA hard drive.

I was looking at something like this for a monitor.

Can't see going down the mac route.

Flip it started off as 'i miss my pc' and its now go and buy yourself a mac. :suicide:

These forums are sometimes not the best things for your bank account. If you get a mac you could run windows within it. But thats more Irish than I am and I was born in Ireland. :D

Why would you buy something to run something that you wanted it to replace ?

For me nothing wrong with some TLC and some new parts. I run photoshop on my old 5 year old pc. I also watch HD stuff and have been doing for a few years.

If I had the money I would have a new pc and also one of these I do miss my old mac :(

Gow87

PC

Well for the two to go at once is either a HUGE coincidence, or a problem with the power supply. But then, if there was a problem in the power supply, you would usually lose a lot more than just those two. Find out how much you will be paying in labour too.. because it can be rediculous! (post prices on here before buying anything and I'm sure people will be able to let you know if you're paying over the odds). :)

what do you use your pc for? and what graphics card did you have your eye on? for most applications graphics cards make little difference, however I know CS4 does use the graphics card (albeit a little buggy at times)

Oh and last thing, 4Gb's of ram will not be recognised in windows, you will only use about 3Gb due to the nature of the operating system. If you wanted to take advantage of more RAM you would really need Vista 64-bit.

Screen

The screen is a rather nice looking thing, BUT it is a TN panel...

Not necessarily a bad thing, but the colours won't match up aswell and the viewing angle can cause some strange goings on, especially as you'll be sat close to such a big thing (even if you're sat 90° to the monitor, if your close the edges will be a different colour as they'll be at a different angle)

But you will find that the PVA/IPS panels are rediculously expensive... so to sum it up and leave you even more confused. it's not bad for the price :)

Before buying, read a lot of reviews though, as samsung in the past had a habit of putting different panels in the same model, so some people would have a good one, and others had a poor one.

Holowlegs

Hello there

Thanks for the advice Gow87.

Got the price back today £289 all parts and labour, so happy with that.

So should be ready for me towards the end of next week.:rolleyes:

Wife has said I am getting withdrawals:eek:

Gingerbillc

PC

Oh and last thing, 4Gb's of ram will not be recognised in windows, you will only use about 3Gb due to the nature of the operating system. If you wanted to take advantage of more RAM you would really need Vista 64-bit.

The 3gb bug was fixed in the latest service pack so 4gb is now recognised. I would look to getting a new pc personally. Faulty HD and GFX card at the same time is either a knackered mobo or a dodgy psu as stated already. Either that or you're being taken for a ride. Get a quote for the work. My father in law couldn't wait 3 dyas for me to fix his and a fresh install of windows, loosing all his files cost hundreds and still didn't sort it.
Unless you are gaming a lot or video editing, most cheap pc's sub £400 come with 500gb HD, core 2duo if not quad core, gfx card and warranty. Personally I build my own but for just basic pc needs, try Dell, just don't pay for any upgrades and DIY a memory upgrade to 4gb.

If it wasn't for gaming, I'd not touch vista with a barge pole and get XP back on my main pc as its far superior to vista in terms of speed and ease of use.
Whichever way you go its money I'm afraid. If you're happy to pay those kind of prices I'm in the wrong job. There is more skilll involved in building lego than a pc. Your pc if its more than 18 months old isn't worth that, never mind a few repairs.

Last edited:

senu

Distinguished Member
The 3gb bug was fixed in the latest service pack so 4gb is now recognised. I would look to getting a new pc personally. Faulty HD and GFX card at the same time is either a knackered mobo or a dodgy psu as stated already.
It really makes you wonder and hope its just a coincidence
Your pc if its more than 18 months old isn't worth that, never mind a few repairs.
My sentiments too

jonnypb

seems expensive. for a little more you could get a brand new dell Intel Core™ 2 Duo E7300 processor 2.66GHz, 2GB, 500GB HDD, 256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 3450, DVD/RW, 18.5" widescreen for £429 and if you knocked the monitor off that would probably save £60-70 so for £70-80 more than your repair cost you've got a decent spec brand new PC plus another 5% off via quidco :) to upgrade to 4GB would hardly be anything

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom