Missing ITV and Channel 4

lothlann

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, not sure if this the right forum but il ask anyway.

I have just moved house and bought a Logix T32WLU55FHID (got it today from Aldi for £299, full HD built in freeview etc).

Just done the initial scan for channels and it seems that ITV and Channel 4 are missing, however E4+1, ITV2+1 and other related channels are there. But other services such as ITV2, ITV3, E4 etc are missing.

This seems very odd as I live in a large city and am well aware that these channels should be received.

I have tried doing a manual search but it asks for the frequency/channel and Im not sure what I should be doing here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have read through the links you have provided, thank you.

I am still very confused by all this and don't really understand any of it.
The postcode for this house is SO16 6HJ (its actually where my mum lives). It seems that mine will probably be pointing towards the Isle of Wight, and that transmitter has the affected channels on low power, so maybe this is the issue.

However, I live at SO15 3AT, literally down the road and have no such issues with my freeview.

Im very confused and am not sure how to resolve the issue.

So no resolution then?

I still dont understand why it didnt happen to the people who just moved out or to me when I only live round the corner.

You are both around 16/17 miles from the Rowridge transmitter, and both locations have a clear line of sight.

Terrain between SU400145 (10 m a.g.l.) and Rowridge, SZ447865 (antenna 260 m A.O.D.) - Optimising UK DTT Freeview and Radio aerial location

Terrain between SU407125 (10 m a.g.l.) and Rowridge, SZ447865 (antenna 260 m A.O.D.) - Optimising UK DTT Freeview and Radio aerial location

Perhaps your mothers location has local obstructions such as leafy trees etc which will reduce the signal reception. Maybe the aerial is a wee bit out of alignment.

One solution is to try a ONE OUTLET TV booster connected between the aerial lead and the co-axial socket on the TV which may give enough increased signal to provide reception of multiplex 2 channels.

my mum and dad have just got a new tele and havent previuosly had free view they live about 10 miles from the sudbury transmitter. tuned in the tele but cant get ITV CH4. i understand this is MUX2. will a new aireal sort it ?

my mum and dad have just got a new tele and havent previuosly had free view they live about 10 miles from the sudbury transmitter. tuned in the tele but cant get ITV CH4. i understand this is MUX2. will a new aireal sort it ?

Possibly/probably a new aerial will do the trick - you don't say what's currently being used.

Have a read through this http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/826100-freeview-f-q-s.html

and particularly this site UK digital TV reception predictor

which will tell you which aerial is recommended for your postcode.

If you're unsure of the results post them on here (the results URL is easiest)

But post 8 here seems to answer your question - but could there be too much signal?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/1013098-bought-2-aerials-now-both-no-good.html

Last edited:

If your parents have a Sky Digibox with the aerial looping through before connecting to the TV then this could cause problems receiving Mux2 from Sudbury. The default RF output from the Sky box is CH68 which is the same as Mux2 from Sudbury, so either connect the aerial directly to the TV( bypassing the digibox ) or change the RF output of the digibox to CH21 or thereabouts.

Services - 4 - 0 - 1 -Select - RF Outlets

(Don't forget to save any changes and retune any other TV's connected)

My ITV1 and Channel 4 have recently disappeared from our Panny freeview but they are still available on a separate box in the bedroom. I haven't checked all the way through the guide listings, so is it possible the two channels have moved? I am still receiving the other ITV AND C4 channels.

If they have moved to another position, how do I change it back to where I want it?

It is puzzling that you have only lost ITV1 and Channel 4 because they are both on Multiplex 2 with most of the other ITV/Channel4 channels so just why you have lost these two and not the others doesn't really add up.

Freeview Channel Lineup

Try doing a rescan for channels. But first do a rescan without the aerial connected to completely clear the tuner of all data then do another rescan with the aerial connected.

Maybe this will restore your two missing freeview channels.

Thanks, will try this later and let you know. I don't depend on freeview (have sky) but now that I know they aren't there it annoys me.

Full DSO for me from Stockland transmitter 3 weeks ago.
Retune on boxes downstairs was fine but upstairs on my Hauppage PC tuner card it missed some channels including ITV, C4.

Turned out it was dodgy coax connections.

I am in weak area, need a 1 way booster to feed a 4 way booster. Also am "constantly" wiggling cables and remaking the connectors.

Try doing a rescan for channels. But first do a rescan without the aerial connected to completely clear the tuner of all data then do another rescan with the aerial connected.

Maybe this will restore your two missing freeview channels.

OK, I was mistaken, had a good look through channels and the MUX2 are gone. ITV2+1 is there but not part of that group. Did the rescan as above, but everything still the same. The freeview box in the bedroom hasn't been rescanned for a while and all the channels are there from the same aerial. Very strange that just over a week ago all the channels were there.
Thanks for your help anyway...is there a way I could manually tune them in?

OK, I was mistaken, had a good look through channels and the MUX2 are gone. ITV2+1 is there but not part of that group. Did the rescan as above, but everything still the same. The freeview box in the bedroom hasn't been rescanned for a while and all the channels are there from the same aerial. Very strange that just over a week ago all the channels were there.
Thanks for your help anyway...is there a way I could manually tune them in?

Most Freeview TV's allow manual tuning in addition to autotune. You need to know which transmitter you are receiving from in order to select the channels for manual tune. Mux 2 is usually one of the weakest channels. I often lose some channels (all of Mux 2 channels plus the Five TV channels) when the weather is bad. This is due to nearby hills which block the line of sight from Winter Hill, but in m ost cases loss of channels is down to poor aerial fitting/siting, lack of aerial amplifier where specified, wrong group of channels for aerial fitted, nearby trees coming into leaf etc. etc. and the quality and length of co-axial leads fitted (any non amplified splitter involved) so many items which need to be checked. You say your STB still has all the freeview channels. Does it still have them after a rescan? Can you test your TV at this location (same aerial point) if the STB still finds all channels?

Process of elimination should find out where the fault lies.

Well, I didn't really want to rescan upstairs, but probably a good idea to see what's what! Phoned a local aerial guy and he said they are doing stuff to transmitter for changeover, so that could be why. I don't get the best Freeview reception anyway so that could be a simple answer. Will try your suggestions when I get the time. Thanks

Went upstairs Friday, turned on the freeview and it decided to tell me it needed to retune!! Guess what? No Itv channels! Guess it's our signal/transmitter. I'll live for now!

Always check your connections. You would be amazed at the possibilities. I posted this on another thread, but it might be useful to readers here.

Ah, Mux 2, signal degradation and F plug threaded connectors. They are called ‘F-connectors’ because of the foul language they provoke.

It can be difficult to fit F-connectors (F plugs/threaded connectors) properly. I suffered all the agonies of the damned with the power supply unit for a masthead amplifier, and even a ‘professional’ TV repair man soiled the mattress when he had a go.

I moved into a new place and found an old power supply unit there. The thing looked as if it had been built in the Seventies: the brown coaxial lead from the external aerial (through the wall) was connected to the unit via the bit of exposed copper wire at the end, which was screwed into a connection inside the unit. Think of the little screws and terminals inside a standard electrical plug: that sort of arrangement. A second lead (again screwed in) went to the Freeview box.

I kept getting channel degradation, particularly on Mux 2 channels, and if you moved the unit more than slightly you could lose the signal completely.

The unit finally expired, and I bought the modern upgrade, which had two ‘female’ thread connectors. You would think that this would be a five minute lock-and-load job, but no. I’ll spare you the full horror story, but there are a few points to bear in mind.

If you are stripping the end of a coaxial cable to insert into a thread connector, it’s best to use a very sharp cutter to cut the end (the bit which goes in) at a 45-degree angle, so that it is more of a point. This gives a better fit. Trust me: it was obvious. However, be careful with this: it’s very sharp, and you can easily scratch yourself or get a tiny shard/splinter of copper in your skin.

Secondly, some people cut off the thin copper wires known as the ‘braid’, on the outside of the coaxial cable, underneath the insulation cover, when they expose the end of the copper wire/thread at the centre. Do not do this: it’s there for a reason and essential to conducting the signal. Bend it back along the cable, spread it as evenly as possible, push the cylindrical metal connecter ‘sleeve’/fitting over it and, only then, trim away any loose bits which are still protruding from the bottom of the metal sleeve.

Other than that, ensure that the sleeve is fitted tightly onto the cable, so that the cable does not fall out, leave about 2mm-3mm of the sharp copper wire (the pin) protruding beyond the end of the metal grip which you will screw onto the outside of the female thread connector (think of a large needle sticking out of the business end of a sink plunger – or dalek sucker – and going into a lemonade bottle: that’s how the setup looks). Then screw the cable onto the connecter.

Use a Mux 2 channel to test the signal, as these are the first to degrade and the last to give a ‘100% quality’ reading. At least the wretched vulnerability of Mux 2 acts as an early warning that trouble is brewing for all of the channels.

The cat observed the proceedings with great interest, occasionally slapping a paw to her forehead in despair at the incompetence on display.

Two good links with photographs:

Satcure satellite dish LNBs digital TV aerial information

http://www.avforums.com/forums/inte...witches/470017-guide-how-fit-f-connector.html

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom