Missing HDMI "Source Direct” on Pioneer

Gemeni

Standard Member
Reaction score
On older Pioneer players you can select “Source Direct” on HDMI to use external video scaler or the AV amplifier to to the scaling.

But on my new Pioneer 440 could I not find this option in the menu, only Auto output on HDMI.
There is an manually setting to select the resolution, but it is not user friendly.

Anybody know how Auto resolution HDMI out handle the output from the player.
I want that my AV receiver shall do the scaling.

Anybody know how Auto resolution HDMI out handle the output from the player.
I want that my AV receiver shall do the scaling.

HDMI auto resolution typically means the source device uses display EDID to determine the "preferred" output resolution. Unlike source direct the output determined by HDMI auto resolution will remain the same irrespective of the source content being played.

IIRC some Pioneer Blu-ray models do offer a source direct option.

Avi

Avi, thanks for the reply.

I have checked for Blu-ray players with that function, but none of the new Pioneer have that option it in the menu.

So I'm going to buy a Cambridge 751BD instead.

Is my Arcam av888 better at handling video scaling that the Cambridge 751bd is?

Avi, thanks for the reply.

I have checked for Blu-ray players with that function, but none of the new Pioneer have that option it in the menu.

So I'm going to buy a Cambridge 751BD instead.

Is my Arcam av888 better at handling video scaling that the Cambridge 751bd is?

The last Pio I had with source direct was the LX91 but I think may be been discontinued. It surprising they the LX55 doesn't offer it given it's based on a MediaTek SoC. I guess not a Pio priority.

Does your AV888 suffer from the same Blu-ray video frequency "pass-though" issue as the AVR600 ? I believe this can be resolved using a 3D board upgrade.

Personally I would avoid passing video via the Arcam and that shouldn't be a problem given the CA has twin HDMI output.

Are you planning to output multi-channel audio by analogue from the player rather than using the DAC in you AV888 ?

Avi

The last Pio I had with source direct was the LX91 but I think may be been discontinued. It surprising they the LX55 doesn't offer it given it's based on a MediaTek SoC. I guess not a Pio priority.
The last one I had was LX71, so it is as you say thath source direct is not a priority from the pioneer of new models.

Does your AV888 suffer from the same Blu-ray video frequency "pass-though" issue as the AVR600 ? I believe this can be resolved using a 3D board upgrade.
I already have the latest version of the Arcam AV888 1.4 with 3D HDMI Board.

Personally I would avoid passing video via the Arcam and that shouldn't be a problem given the CA has twin HDMI output.
Then I have no use of AV888's video features.:confused:
Are you planning to output multi-channel audio by analogue from the player rather than using the DAC in you AV888 ?
Avi
No! I had intended to use the AV888's video and audio capabilities. But maybe it is so that the new Multi player is better to handle both audio and video than my AV888?

I already have the latest version of the Arcam AV888 1.4 with 3D HDMI Board.

I believe the pass-though feature now allows 23.976Hz Blu-ray to be output at the correct frequency. It may be worth checking what the Arcam does with DVD (if that's a requirement) in terms of any forced additional conversion i.e. colour space that you may not desire and have no control over if it uses EDID only.

Then I have no use of AV888's video features.:confused:

I suspect Arcam included video as a convenience feature rather than an outright performance feature. Product such as the CA are likely provide greater control to maximise performance. That said it depends how you define performance.

No! I had intended to use the AV888's video and audio capabilities. But maybe it is so that the new Multi player is better to handle both audio and video than my AV888?

The reason I ask is the difference between the CA 651 and CA 751 is the analogue audio output stage. They share the same primary digital audio/video circuit board. If you plan to use HDMI audio output and processing/DAC in the AV888 there's no benefit in using the 751 over a 651.

Avi

I believe the pass-though feature now allows 23.976Hz Blu-ray to be output at the correct frequency. It may be worth checking what the Arcam does with DVD (if that's a requirement) in terms of any forced additional conversion i.e. colour space that you may not desire and have no control over if it uses EDID only.
Frequency is OK, the other stuff should I check!

I suspect Arcam included video as a convenience feature rather than an outright performance feature. Product such as the CA are likely provide greater control to maximise performance. That said it depends how you define performance.

I'm with you, it's probably the best video scaling in Blue Ray player

The reason I ask is the difference between the CA 651 and CA 751 is the analogue audio output stage. They share the same primary digital audio/video circuit board. If you plan to use HDMI audio output and processing/DAC in the AV888 there's no benefit in using the 751 over a 651.

Thanks for the input, I have now bought a Cambridge Audio AZUR 651BD!

It's great picture and sound on the player, but I'm struggling to find RS232 codes to my Philips pronto Remote. But it is an other story.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom