• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

missing HDD space

Asoe209

Standard Member
Hi all

I bought a 500GB HDD on the weekend and i installed windows XP yesterday once it was finished I checked my HDD space and it says i only have a 125GB of space.

Were has all the space gone?

Its also not showing my CD drive so no drivers or any thing have been installed yet.

Also at start up I get a message about drive is running in IDE mode do I want to change to some other mode what is that other mode and does it make a difference.

drsuave

you controller card might have a 128gb limit

drsuave

what is the drive connected to?

drsuave

humm if it is a sata drive prob not a limit on the controller on the motherboard.

Does sound like a setting in the bios might need to be changed - not sure what they are off the top of my head.

Maybe check the faq/knowlegebase for your motherboard on the manufacturers page.

jasonf01

Which version of Windows XP did you install?

For XP to see a drive over 128Gb as its real size, you have to install Service Pack 1 or higher. If you installed plain vanilla Windows XP from an old disk, you might not have service pack 1 installed.

Hope this helps,
Jas.

drsuave

forgot about that!! lol

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom