Missing Freeview channels

jridings

Standard Member
Reaction score
Autotuning my 19" Samsung with built in Freeview fails to find digital ITV1 and Ch4 (channels 3 & 4) . All other channels perfectly fine. I retuned last week hoping this would solve the problem but now autotune doesn't find ITV1 Ch4 or Ch5!!

Does anyone have any idea why this is and what I can do to get ALL Freeview channels. My postcode is GU4.

Thanks for any advice or solution.

John Ridings

John,

I think this is a common thread throughout this forum. Keep reading through all the threads here and you will see loads of suggestions.

The most common one being..... keep retuning periodically.

Welcome to the Freeview Hokey Cokey !!

Autotuning my 19" Samsung with built in Freeview fails to find digital ITV1 and Ch4 (channels 3 & 4) . All other channels perfectly fine. I retuned last week hoping this would solve the problem but now autotune doesn't find ITV1 Ch4 or Ch5!!

Does anyone have any idea why this is and what I can do to get ALL Freeview channels. My postcode is GU4.

Thanks for any advice or solution.

John Ridings

Welcome to the forum John.

If the elements of your Aerial are horizontal you are presumably receiving from Crystal Palace.

The symptoms you describe suggest that, although you have retuned, the results have not been stored.

In such cases it is sometimes necessary to 'start from scratch' and empty the tuning memory.

If you can find a reset on the unit ... or 'Factory condition' or similar then use that.

Alternatively, remove the aerial and do a scan... which should find nothing.
Reconnect the aerial then scan again.

Thanks for the advice. The aerial is horizontal and pointing NE to C. Palace. I did retune several times. Weird.. once I did actually get ALL channels but then 3,4,5,6,7 just disappeared a day later. Subsequent retunes have failed to find 3-7.
I'll try and reset to factory as you advise.
For interest if all the channels are being transmitted from a single transmitter CP why do some fail to show up?! According to Comet, my area should receive all Freeview channels bar none.

John

Thanks for the advice. The aerial is horizontal and pointing NE to C. Palace. I did retune several times. Weird.. once I did actually get ALL channels but then 3,4,5,6,7 just disappeared a day later. Subsequent retunes have failed to find 3-7.
For interest if all the channels are being transmitted from a single transmitter CP why do some fail to show up?! According to Comet, my area should receive all Freeview channels bar none.

John

Failure to receive all the mux from a transmitter can be down to either one mux being transmitted at a lower power than the others or the use of an unsuitable aerial for the frequencies used by the transmitter. Crystal Palace transmits all 6 mux at the same power but all it's channels are at the low end of the UHF spectrum and require a group A aerial for best reception. A lot of aerial fitters fit yagi wideband aerials which have a very poor gain in Group A. If you have a wideband yagi (Black plastic plugs in the end of the aluminium boom) then that may well explain why you have a problem.

This may help

ATV`s Choice Of Aerials

John

Assuming you have already set the Samsung to Factory settings then it may be you have a poor signal. ITV, Ch4, Ch5 and 6 (ITV2) are fed from the same QAM64 Multiplexer. Pre digital swichover there are two QAM64 muxes and if the signals are weak it is normally these two muxes that you lose first.
BBC1 & BBC2 are transmitted on the same QAM16 mux, receivers are much more resilient to weak signals using QAM16.
What does puzzle me though is you say you've lost channel 7, this is BBC3 and is transmitted on the same mux as BBC1. Therefore make sure you have reset to factory settings before you retune.

If you still have problems, take a look at this page, it shows which channels, together with their respective channels numbers, are broadcast on which Mux (both pre-DSO (Digital switchOver) and post DSO).
Pre-DSO; Mux 2 and, from memory, Mux A are QAM64 Muxes, the rest are QAM16. Check which channels you are receiving and if they are all from the same mux then your problem is probably a poor signal.
Post-DSO more muxes will use QAM64. I believe the Mux used for HD will use QAM256.
(QAM = Qaudrature Amplitude Modulation, the number 16 or 64, simply put, represents the amount of information contained in the signal, therefore the higher the number the more data in the signal.)

Last edited:
Please can somebody offer me some advice? I have a LG 50PC1DA 50 INCH TV AND DONE A RETUNE BUT MISSING ALOT OF CHANNELS WHEN I PRESS BUTTON NUMBER 3 IT USED TO GO TO ITV1 BUT NOW ITS BBC3??

HELP?

Hi

I have been attempting all morning to get the same digital channels ITV1 and 2, C4 and C5 on my Panasonic TX L37G10 and turned to this site to seek a solution. Although I have a Freesat model I am in the throes of getting a dish.

I can see the channels if I set the signal through the PVR Humax 9200T. I can also see them if I set the tuning to analogue but I would like to overcome the problem.

I restored TV to shipping condition and re-tuned but still no success.

Has anybody any clues on what further action I can take

Thanks. David

Hi

I have been attempting all morning to get the same digital channels ITV1 and 2, C4 and C5 on my Panasonic TX L37G10 and turned to this site to seek a solution. Although I have a Freesat model I am in the throes of getting a dish.

I can see the channels if I set the signal through the PVR Humax 9200T. I can also see them if I set the tuning to analogue but I would like to overcome the problem.

I restored TV to shipping condition and re-tuned but still no success.

Has anybody any clues on what further action I can take

Thanks. David

Check the channel numbers used by local transmitter (6 digital and up to 5 analogue). Check that the 9200 modulator is set at least 2 channels away from any of the 11 uhf channels from your local transmitter (preferably more than 2). Menu/Preferences/UHF Tuning

Thank you Graham

I was still unsuccesful with your suggestion.

I removed both scarts from TV and went through re-programming the TV in isolation a few times, also from shipping condition without any change.

I checked signal and found signal strength is 10 out of 10 and signal quality is showing zero for the missing channels.

I am a bit bemused now as the channels were working prior to September 30.

I would welcome more suggestions

Thanks. David

Thank you Graham

I was still unsuccesful with your suggestion.

I removed both scarts from TV and went through re-programming the TV in isolation a few times, also from shipping condition without any change.

I checked signal and found signal strength is 10 out of 10 and signal quality is showing zero for the missing channels.

I am a bit bemused now as the channels were working prior to September 30.

I would welcome more suggestions

Thanks. David

Hello David

You have not mentioned whether or not you followed Graham's point about retuning the modulator?

You can check if this is the problem by taking the aerial feed directly to the TV alone temporarily and then attempt a retuning.
If that gives you the channels back you need to deal with the modulator.

Hello Gav

Yes but it was unsuccesful. However in squirming behind the Tv I had not fed the aerial directly into the TV as I thought I had. Having done this I can confirm that the TV is now fully tuned and it receives the missing channels.

The aerial is running through the Humax and also a JVC VCR and by switching the cables back and forth I find that solely with the Humax the channels are received but with just the VCR the message No Signal is displayed.

At least I know where the problem lies and presume it may be because this is in technological terms an old analogue machine.

Thank you for prompting me to check again

David

Hello Gav

Yes but it was unsuccesful. However in squirming behind the Tv I had not fed the aerial directly into the TV as I thought I had. Having done this I can confirm that the TV is now fully tuned and it receives the missing channels.

The aerial is running through the Humax and also a JVC VCR and by switching the cables back and forth I find that solely with the Humax the channels are received but with just the VCR the message No Signal is displayed.

At least I know where the problem lies and presume it may be because this is in technological terms an old analogue machine.

David

Here's a possible cheap, lowtech solution for you. If you still want to use your VCR, get an aerial splitter (or splitter amplifier if your signal strength is low).

Hello Gav

David

The vcr if it's very old will have small potentiometer that will retune the modulator while watching one of the affected channels adjust this to find a position that gives a clear picture. More modern vcrs have a menu option like the hummy to change the modulator channel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom