Missing Freeview Channels..but NOT FilmFour!?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by asphyxiating, Aug 4, 2006.

1. asphyxiating

asphyxiating
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi..I know this is quite common to have missing freeview channels but it seems strange to me that most people don't pick up Film Four as it's on mux d but I get Film Four, UK History, even E4+1 ..but I don't get why I can't get E4 yet I get E4+1??? There are quite a few channels missing. More 4 is also missing and the ITV channels, abc, and well channel 4 is a bit noisy. However, in this tv it's been like that recently. I don't know about the other tvs as this is the only we have with a scart socket.

If anyone knows any freeview boxes with RF modulators, please let me know where I can find one! I have an Onn box from Asda at the moment for £30 so something of a similar price would be good!

..I tried using an adaptor I found connecting a white, red and yellow wire from a DVD player we have to the scart socket on the tv so I tried using this adaptor on the old tvs without scart and it does not appear to do anything?!

And if anyone could help me out with the odd channel issue..i'd be eternally grateful!!

xxx

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    You should be able to work out from this link what MUX you are having problems with

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

Link below might give you some idea which MUX you should get if your aerial is set up OK. This checker is not always accurate but better than most of them I found.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

Just a guess on your other problem. That cable sounds like a scart to composite picture plus audio; The yellow is the composite. When using it try setting the box output to composite. It might be called something else.

3. asphyxiating

asphyxiating
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for your help.

I think there seems to be 2 aerials, 1 pointing to Moel-y-Parc and the other probably pointing to Winter Hill or Storeton, not sure. When I move the freeview box upstairs to my mum's room and connect through a scart VCR she has, I get different channels. I actually get some of the missing ones like E4, More 4, ITV channels.. and the welsh ones..BBC and ITV wales.. but there's some missing like Film 4.

So, I guess I am missing;
    Downstairs: Multiplex 2 | 64 QAM (?!) and part of Multiplex A | 64 QAM.
    Upstairs: Multiplex C | 16 QAM and Multiplex D | 16 QAM

According to the Predicted DDT reception for my postcode, I should be getting channels like E4 and More 4 through all aerials, Channel 5 on atleast one of the TVs, QVC..I should be getting pretty much all channels actually...how would I go about fixing this then? Do I have to talk to my retailer or somehow is it possible to move my aerial manually more to the Winter hill direction?

It's a bit weird though, as my friend just up the road, also has freeview box similar to mine and she can receive every single channel available! Doesn't seem right!

Winter Hill
    BBC Region: North West
    ITV Region: Granada
    Switchover: 2009
    Muxes received: ALL
    Compass bearing: 20°
    Distance: 35 kilometres
    Aerial group: C/D Horizontal
    Aerial elevation: 704 metres

Storeton
    BBC Region: North West
    ITV Region: Granada
    Muxes received: 1 2 B C D
    Compass bearing: 275°
    Distance: 22 kilometres
    Aerial group: A/K Vertical
    Aerial elevation: 109 metres

Moel-y-Parc
    BBC Region: Wales
    ITV Region: HTV Wales
    Muxes received: 1 2 A B
    Compass bearing: 253°
    Distance: 43 kilometres
    Aerial group: W Horizontal
    Aerial elevation: 551 metres

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You need to shift the aerial you have pointed on HTV (Moel y Parc transmitter) to the same direction as the Winter Hill aerial.

I also have an 18 element type "A" aerial directed to the Moel y Parc transmitter but whilst good at receiving the analogue channels
    I get zilch with freeview. Have to use the wideband aerial I have directed on the Winter Hill transmitter to get the 88 freeview channels - and even then I have to use two signal boosters to get all the channels as I have a very long co-axial cable run. (Would have been better to have had a masthead amplifier fitted to the Wideband aerial on the chimney.

A few years ago the local paper "Oldham Evening Chronicle" published the TV programmes for HTV and S4C in addition to Granada. Many people in this area can receive
    the ITV Wales analogue transmissions.

5. Fuddman

Fuddman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I used to have the same problem were by I couldn't receive the following channels:
    ITV1-4, Channel 4, channel 5, abc1, more4, e4.

But I could receive e4+1, filmfour and the rest. I then did what the freeview site said and buy some quality coaxial double shield cables. I only had the standard terrestrial single shielded ones before. They were the JVC ones from currys and were £8 each! I also made sure all coaxial wires were tied up neat as hear that if coax wires touch other wires it will cause signal loss. But all channels are now perfect!

By the way I had this problem only really from the second room tv which was on a splitter from main arial ( did have slight problem from main tv ) but think it sounds like the same kind of problem.

6. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    No, just throw it away and connect the Winter Hill aerial to an amplified splitter (masthead Amp) in the loft.

(Why do people want to cover their house with aerials all pointing the same way?)

7. jspence2k6

jspence2k6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If u keep installing your set top box u if some times find them or lift ur thing up :thumbsup:

8. jspence2k6

jspence2k6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mate just keep installn it and move ur thing about in it should work at way had to do it wee mine:thumbsup: