1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing extras on rentals

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Caroline, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone else noticed that some of the rental DVDs from Blockbusters now have no extras. The guy in the shop said only a couple of the film companies are doing this - one of them is Fox. Two films without extras are Unbreakable and Meet The Parents.

Anyone else any knowledge of any others which have no extras? The only clue is after you have paid your money and look at the disc it has Rental Copy stamped on it.

Caroline

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    A friend told me Way Of The Gun was the same, but having not seen it on rental R2 I can't be 100% about that.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,606
    This is standard practise for some studios. I guess they feel that if you release an extras packed sell-through version, people will buy it even if they have rented.<br />Personally I disagree with releasing rental only versions of DVDs and we deliberately ignore any news about them.

4. morrisb

morrisb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The whole 'Rental Window' policy seems utterly self-defeating to me. The studios are going to miss out on sales surely?

Unbreakable is out to rent now - weeks before it's due for purchase. If it had been available to buy at the same point I would have done - however, I rented it, saw that it was pants and now know not to bother.

Hey, maybe they're doing us a favour - I can rent a poor film rather than buying it!