1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing channels on Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Nick Odgers, May 22, 2004.

1. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have picked up a Pioneer freeview box cheap (DBR-TF100), outside aerial pointing to Redruth transmitter, but cannot get any B multiplex channels. Aerial lead goes into booster then lead from booster goes to Pioneer, and scart from Pioneer to tv. No rf connection through Pioneer used. I suppose aerial is not up to it, but any suggestions welcome.

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    try putting the aerial straight into the pioneer without using the booster - then see what the signal strength says from the pioneer. If it's average to high then forget the booster as you'll probably just boosting the noise and it may produce a better result. If it's low to average, then a better aeriel or possible repositioning is you're only option for a higher strength signal.

3. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I tried scanning the channels again yesterday and it picked up BBC 4, 7 etc. and they were o k yesterday but come and go today, probably the weather I suppose. I notice the picture does not change when I switch between composite and RGB like it does on Sky- should it? Picture is pretty good anyway.

4. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It sounds like you do indeed have a very weak signal - did you have a look at the signal strength ? I'm lucky enough to have line of sight with Crystal Palace so I always have maximum signal strength so I'm a bit spoilt...

RGB vs Composite - this should give you a VERY different picture - I assume you have a RGB input as you say it works for your Sky+ - are you sure that you have a RGB SCART lead connecting it (ful 21pin) - or perhaps your second AV SCART (in the TV) is not RGB and 'only' S-Video (if so, the I suggest you chain it from the SKY+ (if poss) or use a SCART switch etc.)

5. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    " notice the picture does not change when I switch between composite and RGB like it does on Sky- should it? "

yes...I have the pioneer box and can notice a lot of difference ! is your scart cable fully wired ? or plugged into a RGB socket on your tv ?

6. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am using the scart cable supplied with Pioneer. Have got Sky and Pioneer going through RGB scart switchbox so did comparison of Sky News last night between two and both very similar picture quality, so I reckon it is RGB.

7. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have sussed out problem, scart switcher has buttons to select which input can be recorded, I did not have off switch pressed in, I can see difference between composite and RGB now. The signal strength on BBC 4 is about 7% "poor" so no wonder it comes and goes!