• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Missing Channels in MCE

P

PaulAnderson

When I do a scan for channels in XP using the software that came with my TV Card I get 83 channels, but when I run MCE and scan for channels I only get 40 channels?????

How come? This is using the same card!?!?!?!

The other thing is that MCE asks me to pick a transmitter. How on earth do I find out what transmitter I'm receiving from? I ended up picking Crystal Palace, although I tried a couple without it making any difference. What difference should it make? Is this just for getting the TV Guide?

Paul

TheCrow

Established Member
I guess it depends where abouts in the UK you are, but here in West London I get 63 channels from a freeview scan with MCE, this includes the radio stations.

What channels are you missing with MCE that you get with the cards software?

Another Paul

P

PaulAnderson

But isn't it strange that I get get 83 channels (including radio) through XP, but when I run MCE I only get 40?

To me, that says it isn't a reception problem.

Paul

TheCrow

Established Member
I wasn't suggesting it was a reception problem.

MCE does not show encrypted channels from Topup TV. Are these the ones missing?

P

PaulAnderson

Ah, sorry. I got my wires crossed.

I'll check tonight when I get home. I'm starting to wonder whether E4 was the only one I had noticed. I might be having a stupid moment!

Thanks,

Paul

P

PaulAnderson

Just in case anybody was interested. The problem was due to me installing MCE Rollup 2. My scan was only returning 40 channels no matter what transmitter I picked.

Now I'm upgraded I get 68 Channels.

Paul

WheresMyArtisan

Established Member
I have read in PC Pro that MCE can be less sensitive than other apps when scanning for channels. I don't know how true this is, as I don't use any other app on my PCs.

I have a rooftop aerial that goes into a distribution amp. On one of the outputs of this, my freeview TV gets all the channels, whereas the 3 MCE PCs were getting a different number every time, form 40-odd to 50-odd. I changed each MCE PC over to the full-strength aerial output from the amp, then scanned again. I get 65 channels on all MCE PCs, so I assume that's all of them (Rowridge transmitter).

After changing the aerial back, I can still receive all the channels perfectly. It's a bit weird, but it works.

I am just outside of the area that should be able to receive freeview, according to their website. I have a fancy aerial on a 6-foot pole. I don't get any glitches, unless it's raining really hard.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom