1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Channels From Eurobird

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Roman, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I know that there have been a number of posts about signal strength before, but I thought I would post this one just to see if there were any more ideas kicking around.

I have had Sky Digital for about 4 years now and until about 9 months ago it all worked fine. Then channels started disappearing (the 'No Satellite Signal Being Received' message). Channels affected are some music channels and things like Performance TV.

I thought the dish had slipped slightly but decided not to get an engineer out until a switched to Sky+ last month. I asked the engineer to realign the dish whilst he was switching the LNB and cable. This he did and the signal strength and quality were both above half way on the receivers signal test meter. However, the problem with the missing channels remained. The engineer was a little perplexed and so ended up changing the LNB, dish and eventually Sky+ box, but to no avail. In the end he gave up and said he would get one of his colleagues to come and have a look at it.

Now it is worth pointing out that there are some trees quite close to, but apparently not obstructing the line of sight.

The second Sky engineer turned up and played with everything for a while before also giving up. He said that he could not see how the trees were blocking out reception because the signal strength was so good.

So I called a friend of a friend who is a professional satellite installer. He turned up and fitted a 60cm dish. The signal strength and quality are now both one notch below maximum, but still channels are missing. This satellite installer also said he could not see how the trees were blocking the signal.

All the missing channels are on Eurobird rather than Astra.

Given that I have had 3 dishes, 2 runs of cable, 1 Digibox, 2 Sky+ boxes, 3 LNB's and 3 Satellite Engineers, is there anything else I can do other than cut the trees down?

I live in Warrington so I assume that this is well within the Eurobird footprint.

Cheers, Roman

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make a note of precisely which programmes are missing. Then look up their parameters (frequency and polarisation). What do they have in common?

It may be that you have a local microwave link that is blocking out a narrow band of frequencies. If this is so, the usual answer is to mount the dish at ground level or on a different wall, so that it is shielded from the offending horizontal transmission by walls.

Fman

3. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Many thanks for the tip, I will check it out.

As a matter of fact about half a mile beyond the trees I mentioned, directly in line with the satellite, there is an old Wind Mill now being used as a Mobile Phone mast. I wonder if this could be the problem.

Cheers, Roman