Missing channel help

channy

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,

ive recently upgraded my tv, i previously had an LCD with built in freeview which worked fine but i just wanted a slightly bigger and better tv. I have just set my new tv up and it is all working fine other than the fact i can't find channel 5! I can get it on analogue but not on freeview, this was never a problem on my old tv. Any suggestions??

Hey thanx fernandez, it seems i am missing all those channels mentioned :-( ive tried re-tning as jay mc suggested but no luck so will hav a llok at that link you provided. Fingers crossed

right ok... so i tried that link but to be honest i didn't understand much of it! i understand about the multiplex things and it seems that i have lost the channels on multiplex A, but how do i go about getting it back???

ok, i have now located the problem. I can get all channels when i use my old tv ariel cable but not with the new cable i got with my new tv. The new cable is alot longer so don't know if it is the length of the cable or just the quality of the long cable that is causing the problem.

I really need to use the longer cable so i can put my tv in the position i want it. Does anyone know if it's the length or the quality of the new cable that is the problem because if it's the length there's no point me going out and buying a better quality longer arial cable?

not with the new cable i got with my new tv....Does anyone know if it's the length or the quality of the new cable that is the problem because if it's the length there's no point me going out and buying a better quality longer arial cable?
If the new cable you refer to is akin to washing line and with moulded plastic plugs each end, you may find replacing it with one handmade to the appropriate length, from proper cable as used outside the house fitted with quality metal plugs, sufficient.

Could be that the new cable is faulty - shorted core to shield. Or just thin and lossy and your signal weak. Better cable will probably solve it, or you could put an amplifier at the start.

The flyleads you get with equipment today should be put in the bin,I was looking in my garage the other day and i came across a box full of them i thought i had thrown them away.
As a rule of thumb coax should be no thinner than 6mm.

andy

to be honest, i didn't really understand any of those technical terms you just used! the lead that goes from the tv into my aerial point has metal male and female connecters as i thought all do, unless you were referring to something different! Thanks for your help though!

Some of the leads (flyleads) that are supplied with equipment are of very thin coax cable which has high losses of signal.
What is being suggested is that you try a higher quality lead made from good quality (thicker) coax which has less loss of signal.
Having said all that, your signal may be marginal anyway and, as suggested, a booster may well help

thanks for that fernandez! :thumbsup: although my shorter cable which works fine is actually thinner than my longer cable! ill try and buy a good quality longer lead and keep the receipt incase it doesn't work. I only have about 4 months left in my current house (currently living away at uni) so i won't bother with a booster if that fails. Thanks everyone for your help :thumbsup:

Buy Television aerials and boosters at Argos.co.uk - (35 products)

Boosters are <£10, and you can take them with you! Or probably get your money back if no help - but be careful at argos some items returnable only if faulty (though, as salesman said to me; winking, "We don't check the fault"

The loss of signal in a cable is due to a combination of length and thickness. for a short lead even a very thin one will usually be OK

thanx scribbler101, i'll certainly have a look into it :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom