Missing 411: The Hunted (2019)

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this but thought it deserves a mention :

A few years ago i got into reading some books the Missing 411 series by a former police detective who turned investigator & writer David Paulides they are a fascinating read. I won't bore you with the list of the books as you can look them up if you like anyway then along came a documentary titled Missing 411 (2017) which was interesting & focused on the disappearances of five children in the wilds of North America, across multiple decades.

His new film/documentary which i have watched is called Missing 411: The Hunted (2019)

Which i found to be even more impressive & as the title suggests is about missing hunters & there are indeed some very bizarre cases still i like a good mystery even if some of the correlations made are a little odd but its makes interesting viewing & i like out the box thinking but the question is could he be onto something? whatever the reasons behind these mysterious disappearance i think just bring this subject to peoples attention is something that should be applauded.
CanAm Missing Project

Here's a link to the trailer & the movie on youtube although i watched on me PS4

So if you like a walk/camp in the remote wilderness or even a hunt (americans hunt a lot it seems) i suggest giving this a watch as you may find some of the tales in here almost to incredible to believe (maybe they are) but one thing's for sure America's national parks will never look the same afterwards now while this is a worldwide phenomenon this film looks at these curiously strange incidents mostly in the national parks & tbh ones heart just goes out to the people that experience this as the numbers are just awful & maybe that's why there's never to much publicity.

How many people go missing well it's a lot more than one would think & it goes back quite a way now whether or not these cases are just about weather exposure & bad decisions getting lost off the path the lack of correct equipment clothes dangerous wildlife predators murderers etc well that's up to the viewer to make up their mind do enjoy if you give it a watch because some of these people don't as such go missing it would seem most just simply disappear.

KT

Last edited:
411 - The Hunters

This got a bit creepy towards the end - there was even a Arnie easter egg :D ;) :eek:

There was no final resolution though, still a great watch

The 70s audio? & re-enactment was the first real eye opener

1000s go missing in similar yet unknown circumstances

Never be alone in National Parks or Wilderness, camping or rural locations, they take you!

Last edited:
411 - The Hunters

This got a bit creepy towards the end - there was even a Arnie easter egg :D ;) :eek:

There was no final resolution though, still a great watch

The 70s audio? & re-enactment was the first real eye opener

1000s go missing in similar yet unknown circumstances

Never be alone in National Parks or Wilderness, camping or rural locations, they take you!
You watched :smashin:

Nope no resolution whatsoever but its a compelling watch re-the Arnie egg that was a strange one :D :eek: but my favorites are the the older watcher hunter vanished the poor old fellow & of course the 70s eerie audio, i mean really who taunts a hide full of experienced tooled up hunters in the middle of the night & in the middle of nowhere :facepalm:o_O:eek:

I like that he doesn't speculate as David mentions that would be wrong for the families involved & the investigators he just gives the facts as he has found them & that just lends to his credibility as an investigator in my opinion.

This is a good interview

Last edited:
Love listening to accounts of anomalous disappearances and although the circumstances are usually sad and catastrophic for the victim and their families the way Paulides lays it all out sends a shiver up your spine. He's been accused of cherry-picking data but on the other hand he tries to rule out cases that are better explained by prosaic reasons and circumstances, e.g. predation by wild animals, disappearances of the mentally ill, etc.

The new film was an excellent introduction for those familiar with the subject matter. Excellent cases to present to new viewers. All of them creeped me out, especially the one where items were placed in conspicuous positions seemingly in order to draw the attention of passers-by long after the experienced hunter disappeared. The fact that his
mule - and only his mule - bucked on the trail to their camp causing him to hike to the cache alone sent a chill through me, almost like some lurking intelligence planned it in advance or something. Maybe my imagination is getting the better of me there but whatever is behind the phenomenon seems to possess intelligence and guile.

Two cases that aren't presented in the documentary that always creep me out are the one where the toddler goes missing for days but turns up safe and well thanks to the care it received from a robotic version of his granny! From memory, she sheltered him in a cave and from the front looked like his gran but whenever it had its back to him the toddler said she had wires coming out of its metallic exterior, or something along those lines. The robotic granny also forced the toddler to defecate on a piece of sticky paper. Gets even stranger when the gran sort of lends credence to his account by claiming that her and her husband had camped in the same area the year before and she'd woken to something creeping around outside their tent. In the morning her husband noticed puncture marks on her back and she had a creeping sense of horror and danger owing to the previous night's events.

The other case involves an ex-US special forces guy who was walking along a paved trail with his son when he noticed a lady wearing a three-quarter length red coat/cloak like little red riding hood a few hundred metres behind them. Whenever he looked back over his shoulder at the woman she seemed to close the distance to them in an unnatural amount of time with it culminating in his getting the impression that she wasn't walking or running but levitating towards them! Finally he turns to face it and sees a woman with a totally blank impression that veers off into the woods and off the trail once it realises the guy is on to its creepy approach.

@KiLLiNG-TiME Take it you're a big fan of Gene Wolf's The Book of the New Sun? Still got it on the shelf but never got around to reading it.

@Stockholm It's all rather interesting isn't it if it wasn't for the very unpleasant nature of the disappearances on families etc re- the mule that was one freekie case was it not :eek:o_O but why only two horses & a mule for 3 men? why did he chose to walk in?

I think David has done his homework & the cases he looks into are the ones that fit his profile points for the cases, point of separation/canines can't track/near water/weather incident etc as you correctly mention he doesn't investigate predation by wild animals, disappearances of the mentally ill, I think some of his correlations are very interesting as a reader/watcher.

Although the end of the day its up to the watcher/reader to make up there own minds he's just giving us the facts as he see & finds them + it's hard to disagree with some of the people he interviews search & rescue teams/sheriff search & rescue coordinator etc.

Also the fact the the FBI turn up (they don't investigate missing people unless their children or there's a crime been committed) at some of these cases is strange in of itself, the fact that there is (changing thanks to David) no list of the said missing.

The fact that a DOI Petition was drawn up by a reader of the books as :

"Currently, there is no centralized registry or database of persons who have gone missing in our national parks and forests or on Bureau of Land Management lands."

Closed now but here's the link: read its interesting.

Sign Petition: MAKE THE DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR ACCOUNTABLE FOR PERSONS MISSING IN OUR NATIONAL PARKS & FORESTS

The fact that requests made under the freedom of information were refused (for all sorts of reason's probably bad publicity for the parks) as it's kind of ridiculous to think that such important information is not in some kind of database somewhere but apparently not.

I think one has to read all the books to a get a full account, watching the films is interesting but a lot is missed. The Thomas Messick case is one of my personal favorites & is quite a bizarre one.

Its strange that David had his wiki page edited which you can read about here Current Events

I think its due to his previous books on the Hoopa Project & tribal bigfoot (i can hear the laughter as i type) he has been listed by some a pseudoscience researcher. Which is a shame because surely only by studying these cases can one hope to get to some insight of the subject matter & in doing so maybe thereby changing a few things that may help the lost to be found in the future. Which is really the best outcome anybody can hope for, still its all rather engrossing stuff no matter your views.

I am indeed a big fan of Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun (well spotted Sir :smashin:)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom