1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missed point pleasent

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by virus uk, Mar 31, 2005.

1. virus uk

virus uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    i missed point pleasent on wednesday night(30/3/05),does anyone know if its on again.Thanks
    virus uk

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    E4 is there infinite wisdom decided not to show it and didn't bother to update their SKY EPG either although other listings which they have far less control over were updated!"

"We do hope it will return later in the year" was what we heard.
    That doesn't sound too promising to see the completed yet unaired eps:(

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am not surprised, watched the first 3 episodes before I gave up, as many others must by now have done. Strange as this genre of program I usually enjoy, just foung it very confusing to follow. Half the problem with programs like this is that a lot of the actors now seem to look alike, so it is difficult to remeber who is who from one week to the next.

4. daveon

daveon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Does anyone know if the same thing hapened to last weeks ER?

I only ask because I had Point Pleasant to record on my Sky Plus box, the box thinks it has recorded the show but can not play the recording because it does not exist, however the ER recording will also not play in the same way. Recordings made before and after these programes work fine though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Nope, ER aired as normal on both Thursday night, and the Sunday night too. It also airs on Monday nights, at 10pm, on Channel 4!

With "Point Pleasant", I can't see the show continuing, as it's pretty much died a horrible death in the USA, with the show loosing 40% of its viewers between the Pilot and second episode alone. Since then, ratings have been down, week-on-week.

There's no way it's going to get the full 13 episodes planned, for Season 1 now, unless something majorly good happens.

I wish Channel 4 wouldn't air a new US drama until they've got every episode in their offices, to be aired. Otherwise, it just annoys viewers... just like this time! :mad:

Pooch

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It did have a slow and dis-jointed start but really started to pickup recently as Christina accepted her parentage and the dark forces made their play.
    Gone are the days especially in the US when a show was allowed a full season to create an audience though and FOX are well known for swing the axe.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Marti Noxon (Producer) did say that all the episodes had been filmed so E4 should have access to them (if they want) and a DVD release in the same vein as Firefly and Wonderfalls I reckon is a cert.
    Still some confusion if the actual season finale had been through post-production though.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Starburst,

Cheers for the clarification on that matter. :) However, I presume that E4 won't have access to any episodes not already aired in the USA, (or will have contractual obligations stating that they wouldn't be allowed to broadcast any episodes not shown in the US). Hence, if the show's been indefinitely pulled in the US, fans in the UK are kinda stuffed.

At least, that's what I think....

Pooch

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yep that is certainly a possiblilty and any delay might be the result of CH4/E4 negotiating a price to get the rights to broadcast although the longer they wait the less likely it'll pull in the same audience.

The UK Scifi channel screened the unaired eps of Firefly before anyone else in the world so FOX or at least it's distributors were open to a deal although the broadcasts date were not so close as PP was. SKY1 as a matter of course gets some content to air before the US but that for the most part is not from a US network.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi again, Starburst

You're right. With "Point Pleasant" however, I feel that E4 did themselves no end of disservice, by broadcasting it so soon after the USA, where they had no guarantees it was going to do well. With "Firefly", at least the UK Sci-Fi Channel had the chance to say to Fox, that they wanted to air ALL the episodes, but this was after the show had been completely pulled in the USA. Alas, this isn't the case with "Point Pleasant". As far as I know, "Point Pleasant" has NOT been completely pulled.... yet. However, I'm 99% certain that it has been, as are any US fans. Sadly, until the makers of the show and C4/E4 agree on if UK viewers can see the remaining 6 or 7 episodes, we're kinda stuffed.

To be honest, though, this kind of thing should really be sorted out, before we UK viewers get to see a show. Why can't Channel 4 ever do this kind of thing right?! After all, the only people who now loose out, are fans of the show in the UK.

If I were a TV scheduler, surely it would make sense that once you buy the rights to a show, you make absolutely certain you have Master Copies of all the episodes in the series, and that you are legally allowed to air all the episodes in your country of origin. Why can't Channel 4 learn that airing a show so close to its US transmission, is just very dangerous and uncertain? UK fans of "Point Pleasant" are now stuck, and have no idea if they will ever see the end of the series at all, or when it might be scheduled. It almost certainly won't be in the same timeslots as it was recently. More than likely, it'll get shoved into a late-night slot somewhere. At least, that's what I expect.

Plus, terrestrial fans won't get to see the show now.

C4 are useless!!!! :mad:

Pooch

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Indeed.

Considering that had "Lost" which was a proven US hit already bought and paid for rushing out and buying an unproven show such as PP and then airing it within weeks of the US screening was a big risk.
    However the early screening did give me a reason not to download the US screenings and wait for the UK ones:)

I have no doubts they looked at the premise and thought it could be another Buffy and were determined to get it before SKY1, that route sometimes works bigtime but they and other broadcasters are at times made to look like fools after buying and marketing shows that have bombed in their own market:)

12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i quite enjoy point pleasant. i've been watching the american HDTV versions and its definitely getting quite interesting. 8 episodes down, 4 or 5 to go. Shame it won't get a 2nd series, but it does seem more like a mini-series than a full blown franchise.

13. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I was just really starting to enjoy this series, the bits were starting to come together, it was beginning to get a bit interesting and then 'Whooossssh', the networks, in their infinite wisdom, decided to pull the series; no warning whatsoever! I think it must be about 6 weeks since they aired an episode over here in Canada and there has been no sign of it since, not even very late night airings. Oh well, another one bites the dust!

14. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    are you sure it's been pulled? i was under the impression its been on spring break like all the other tv shows. it was only on twice a month beforehand anyway, so im expecting 2 episodes some time in april.

15. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Almost certain it's been pulled as it was on every single Thursday up until about 6 weeks ago (Spring Break only started 13th March onwards) and it was shown the same time as The Apprentice, whic meant I didn't have to sit and watch that show:D. I can't see any sign of it on 'future' schedules. According to www.tvtome.com there have been 2 episodes shown since I last saw it in Feb, alas they never made it to Canadian tv, which is strange as I have the FOX network and I don't ever recall it being on.

16. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    that really annoys me :( i hate the way the networks have a say in whether show is cancelled or not, they should be tied into a contract for at least 1 whole season, and then the show is no longer theirs and season 2 can be sold to who ever. if no one wants it then it doesnt happen. if i ever become a billionaire (if only i knew how to make a faustian deal) im going to create my own tv channel dedicated to bringing back all the shows that have been cancelled. Buffy, Angel, Tru Calling, Firefly, Point Pleasant, Friends, and i wouldnt care if the channel lost money as long as it didnt bankrupt me, as i hate shows ending!!

17. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you to a point and if I was filthy rich I would do something similar except shows like Buffy and Angel don't really need continuing after seven and five seasons respectively. Shows that I would bring back include Dark Angel, Crusade, John Doe, Space Above and Beyond, Dark Skies and Firefly which were all cancelled with less than two seasons made.

18. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    ok so maybe not Buffy, but i'd like to see more Angel, season 5 ended on such a cliffhanger! spoiler -->
    Of course most of the team would be dead but they could start anew with Angel, Spike and Illyria.

oh, brimstone, good vs evil and american gothic i'd like to see more of too!

19. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Well, bugger me! "Point Pleasant" starts on Channel 4 on Saturday 9th April, at 1pm lunchtime! :clap: Just don't expect to see more than about 6 episodes, unless E4 suddenly show the remainder of Season 1 first!

However, it's going to be censored to crap, because even the E4 showings were cut, despite their later timeslot of 8/9pm! :mad:

Damn you, Channel 4! :mad: :nono: :mad:

Pooch