Missed out on the perfect car and now I'm gutted! (but unsure if I should be)

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Dodgy_Geezer, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    So I'm currently after a new set of wheels and quite by chance came across an Audi Q5 that ticked every box even though I was actually looking for an Octavia VRS hatch.

The Q5 was perfect; 5 years old, the right colour (white), the right model (S Line), exact spec (pan roof, DSG), from a good reputable indie quite nearby instead of Scotland, had a warranty and fully HP, mileage checked, only 1 previous owner, full service history, the lot. It was high mileage at 140k but I can live with that for a 5 year old car with motorway miles. Best of all the price was an incredible steal at just £11k, similar cars are going for at least a few grand more for a much older model and that's for the very few cars of the exact same spec available in the whole country. Plenty of metallic blacks and greys but hardly any polar whites and those with a DSG and pan roof are rarer than hens teeth.

Saw the ad on a Saturday evening, had a think about it on Sunday (wasn't really looking for a Q5 until I saw it) and called on Monday only to find it has been sold. What's bugging me is that the car had been on sale for a few weeks but I only saw it on the Saturday as I hadn't considered a Q5 before and now I'm gutted it's gone even though I never saw it because I can't find the exact same spec car without paying 5 grand more for an older model.

Part of me is thinking that even if I had called on Sunday for a viewing, quite likely it would have already been sold, another part is saying "you fool DG, you shoulda called on Saturday evening using the 24/7 mobile given on the ad and slapped down a deposit to reserve" and the other part is saying that the car must have been Cat D or a rebuild or something as the incredible price really was too good to be true. Deals like this are few and far between so there's got to be a reason even though the ad was very detailed.

Which one is it and should I be gutted? I don't think I'll ever find the same car at this price again.

And is just me or has the price of used cars shot up?

2. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,065
    Am I right in thinking that if it is CAT C or D they must advertise as such? My initial thoughts are that if it seems to good to.......you know the rest!

3. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Yep, I thought they had to advertise it as Cat C or D too.

It's definitely too good to be true but I can't think what might have been wrong with it (if anything).

A mate of mine had a similar case when he saw a dealer advertise a BM 3 series for what was not much money for the spec. He rang up straightaway, paid a deposit to reserve and by the time he had driven 200 miles the same day to view, there were 4 other people in the showroom sniffing around the car and willing to buy it at the asking price. He managed to buy it within hours of it going on sale.

4. DVD-Man

DVD-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Happened to me today, been watching a car for 2 weeks, thought no one would take it but I was obviously wrong. Doubt I'll see another one soon.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    Premium crossovers are the in thing at the moment so their prices are high. Setting Autotrader's criteria to 11k, under 150k miles and under 6 year old gives you a selection of 150 Audi A6s, and even a couple of plausibly priced A8s.

Would you take a Q5 over an A8? I haven't seen either in the flesh but It seems likely the £50k+ when new A8 is a nicer car than the £31k+ when new Q5.

In short, I think what you missed was a car that would have been unremarkably priced if it hasn't had crossover styling.

6. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    The thing is, I wasn't even looking at a crossover or a 4x4. The next car was going to be an Octavia VRS but wanted one with a pan roof. The search threw up a Q5, I thought ok, well it'll make a change. An A6 or A8 would be fine (I have an A4) but not seen any saloons with the pan roof.

And now my other half likes the idea of a lofty driving position that a 4x4 gives so is keen on a crossover. God help me :eek:

7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    Sounds like you want a BMW 5-series Gran Turismo. Saloon styling but a high seating position and both a sunroof and automatic gearbox as standard. You can pick up a new one for £30k but they started out at £45k so despite being six years old the cheapest models are still £15k+

Are you after something with a Panoramic roof that opens or just to let light in? Something like the Peugeot 508 GT might be an option. Not as sporty as a vRS but it's got 200 horsepower from an engine shared with the Jaguar XF and IIRC comes with an automatic gearbox and glass roof as standard, although I don't know if it opens.

Or at the other extreme the Megane Coupe-Cabriolet has an all-glass roof that entirely disappears, although I'm not sure if the 180hp TCe engine comes with an auto option (the 160hp diesel does).

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,423
    If a car is too cheap, there is usually a reason why. Cat C or Cat D, or maybe just a cheap price to get you down to the showroom, rough condition, etc.

9. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    DSG that's done 140k miles.....you sure you're willing to take that on?

10. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    This is the number one thing that grinds EVERY sales execs gears...

"so we've found the perfect car in the perfect colour, perfect spec and perfect price?"...."yes but i need to go away and think about it" arrrrrrgghhhhhhh why why why why?? what is there to think about? It is then every hope that we can sell that car before you come back and it happens a LOT!
    No one believes us when we say it can sell in in the next 5 minutes!
    ALWAYS put a deposit on it, 9/10 dealerships will refund the deposit if you wake up the next morning and decide it's the worse decision you've ever made.

I'm sorry you missed out on your dream car but it's a lesson learnt and inside i'm secretly laughing:devil:

11. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    Is there anything the dealer isn't telling me about the condition of the car?
    Will this fit in my garage/parking space/life?
    Were there any unexpected gotchas on this model? Poor safety rating, abysmal touchscreen, wierd phone compatibility, non-folding seats, excessive noise at certain speeds, stupidly expensive tyres etc. etc.
    Will the other cars I haven't seen yet be better?
    What's the real world fuel economy and how much will the servicing and other running costs be? Can I afford them?

You could say do it beforehand but a lot of people won't have the time to do it for every single car that might interest them.

If everyone started using the deposit system to reserve cars that are great deals and might suit them then I'm sure sales execs would get equally annoyed by sales being held up by people who cancel after looking into the details.

12. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I tend to agree with the salesman on this one.
    It's a mindset my wife has, that she can't 'commit' to buying an item even when the perfect example is right in front of her, we always have to try another shop or she has to think about it.
    Then we invariably go back anyway.
    When I'm selling cars or bikes, there's nothing annoys me more than someone 'dithering'.
    I have often refused to sell them a car/bike when they invariably come back, just to get the sheer joy of seeing them gutted (call it my dithering fee)
    Sometimes I'll be blunt and tell them they annoyed me, so it's off the market to them, sometimes I'll just lie and say it's gone.
    You snooze, you lose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Interesting reading, thanks for the replies.

Wasn't really dithering, I saw the car on a Sat eve but because it wasn't one I was originally looking for, needed to go away and have a think about it (insurance, fuel consumption, how big it is, work that needs doing, etc. Pretty much everything EndlessWaves said. That meant a trip to a local dealer to see an equivalent model in the flesh.

And I agree, the price was too good to be true so there must have been something not mentioned. I saw it on a Saturday and the chances are that it was already sold anyway. I thought diesels were generally good with high mileage but maybe this one had a flywheel or cambelt due. Perhaps it had major work done. Who can say? Agree though, nothing ventured, nothing gained and in the past, I've slapped a deposit down when I've seen something suitable. Will have to chalk this one up to "wasn't meant to be".

Not seen any less than £15k.

Either would do but one that opens is preferable.

Thanks, never considered this before as the wife is allergic to French motors.

A friend of mine has this, it's one heavy car that wallows around. Lovely airy cabin though.

14. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038

Surely with something like a car purchase you would do all this before hand.

My last car I purchased I dithered and nearly lost it. Had been searching for months. Everything is an option including the rear wiper. Friday afternoon saw it on Autotrader dithered and it was gone. Sunday I saw it on the manufactures website on the used section. This time first thing on Monday I bought it. It was in Glasgow and I'm in London so had them drive it down. It was from the official dealer so I know their used cars are prepped really well and came with a warranty so was happy to buy it blind.

15. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,549
    It sounds like you had a specific model in mind and in that situation then you'd expect buyers to be ready to buy most of the time, with the possible exception of the first model they see if it turns out to be different to their expectations.

If all you're looking for is a car with a flat boot, auto gearbox and panoramic roof costing 11k then there are dozens of models that fit the criteria and doing in depth research on all of them beforehand isn't a worthwhile use of time for many people.

16. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    Fair play. I can see where you're coming from. I've seen customers at used dealerships go from a VW golf to a Toyota etc. You're right, by the time I am buying a car I've decided on make and model and what options I want.

17. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,835
    I missed out on a Yaris that ticked all the boxes and exceeded my price expecations by one day last year at my local Toyota dealer. It irked me for a while.

18. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,349
    No comment ;)

19. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    So you're telling me when you go out to spend thousands on a car you have no idea what car you're interested in and have done zero research? Are you that person that walks onto my forecourt half hour before closing on Saturday muttering things like "just doing the rounds" "just in the early stages" then wants to test drive half the forecourt? ....customers like this never by cars, often referred to as 'messers'
    Most people have a rough idea of what they want and have usually narrowed it down to a handful and done some research on those cars, granted it may not be in-depth research but guess what? that's what i'm here for!!

Will it fit in my garage? bring out your garage sizes, i have size guides on all my carsa and a tape measure in my desk.
    As for unexpected gotchas, that's for you to do at home and i agree that in reality no dealer is going to tell you all about a model that had problems at some stage in their life however all cars on a decent garages forecourt should've had a full sales inspection and come with a decent warranty.
    Will the other cars i've not seen yet be better? There will always be something better out there, if you have found the perfect car at the right price and want to go away then it's not the right car or you're just afraid to commit.
    Running costs are explained in full, i will show a customer a brochure quoting 70mpg and tell them to take it with a pinch of salt but 60mpg+ will be achievable with sensible driving.

People who visit garages to buy cars need to understand we are here to help, we work on low a low salary, work stupid hours to fit the publics working hours and rely mostly on commission so when i've spent over an hour with a customer, found them the perfect car at the perfect price in the perfect colour and they want to go away and think about don't be surprised that i'm doing cartwheels in birthday suit across the forecourt when Tony from Manchester rings 5 minutes after you leave to put a deposit on it :D

20. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I must admit, when I decide on a car going, to the showroom is the very last 'link in the chain' and the salesman is merely a conduit for the purchase.
    I will not need any input from him whatsoever, other than getting the forms filled in.
    I'll have exhausted any possible research long beforehand.
    I suppose, in this sense, I am an ideal customer.
    Bare minimum of work for their commission (not meant in a negative way).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  21. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Is that unreasonable of me, when they've pissed me around?
    I well remember one guy, he was a proper bellend and it was tremendously satisfying to tell him to go away when he came skulking back to the house wanting to buy my bike after all.
    "aaw, whussamarra..were the other bikes not as good as mine..like I said they wouldn't be?"
    I'd hate to be in a position where I'd have to pander to these types.

22. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You sir would get the good coffee if you ever came into my showroom :clap:

23. djbsom

djbsom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    In defence of every normal/careful car buyer out there, this says more about you than them.
    I'm surprised you haven't deleted this post.
    Actually, no I'm not.

24. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    I'm exactly the same. By the time I'm buying the car I've joined forums. Got owners reviews, downloaded manuals and brochures etc.

You could imagine the joy on the sale man's voice when I bought my last car as all he had to do was take the payment after answering the phone.

25. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    After having the God awful experience of selling my own car a few months ago. I know where you're coming from. I even turned away chancers who were low balling. Refused to even discuss prices after the silly low ball offer saying this car wasnt for them. Especially when I knew my car was so much better than what else was out there.

26. its_all_Greek

its_all_Greek
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,609
    did you not test drive one somewhere before deciding which car was for you?

27. shahedz

shahedz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    I honestly didn't.

28. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Yes, it says I'm never desperate to sell, so don't need to be mucked around.
    If you have been desperate to sell and have had to pander to these timewasters, I feel sorry for you.
    Or if you see me 'getting my own back' on these people as some sort of character failing, I cannot convey how little I care.:thumbsup:

29. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Is it me or is the second hand car market gone crazy? Similar thing has just happened again, I saw another Q5 that ticked every box, good price at a dealer and it was only just advertised last night. I saw it online after business hours so emailed the dealer saying I'll take it and left a voicemail for the same. Got a reply back 8am this morning saying the car has been sold! And this is within 12 hours of it being available. What the hell??

To all those saying surely you'd have done all the research before looking so tough if you miss out, yes I totally agree but this only works when you have a particular car in mind with no flexibility. If you see something else that perhaps wasn't originally on the shortlist but will do the job, then of course you wouldn't go buy it there and then as you wouldn't know anything about the car, what to look for, price etc.

And another thing, since when did prices begin to shoot up? A few years ago, you'd be able to buy something like a 4 year old Audi A4 S Line with an auto box and 60k on the clock for about 7 grand whereas today, you'd be lucky to get the same model for less than 11k and that's with a six figure mileage. I read somewhere that car sales have been going up year-on-year whic you'd expect to filter down into the second hand market and keep prices competitive.

30. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Must be a prestige thing, our prices on used citroens are coming down on par with car devaluation but the used market is flying, sold 4 used today myself :clap: