Misold refurb sky+ box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DaveH29, Apr 19, 2007.

1. DaveH29

DaveH29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Just moved into my new house and decided to get sky+ installed,

However i did most of the installation myself, so i was loathe to pay £60 for the installation aswell as £99 for the box.

I rang sky to see if they could do any deals, to which they said they would do a refurb box for £49 plus free installation, however i didnt take it because
    i've heard of a few problems and i was under the impression there was only 3 months warranty.

Anyway........Last week my girlfriend was walking through town where a guy was selling sky+ with the £99 crossed out and replaced with £49 and free installation so she asked and made sure it was a brand new box with 12 months warranty, to which he replied yes, before she signed, she got me to ring him on the night to make sure. He said it has 12 months warranty and when asked if it is a brand new box he said yes.

Couple of days later sky came to install, guess what they brought.... yes it was a grade A refurb Pace PVR1.

we promptly rang the sales guy who told us he had said it was grade A(which he didnt), however he did stipulate again that it had 12months warranty and it had been upgraded to the latest spec, if that is true(and im not sure i beleive him) i wouldn't mind so much if they hadnt lied. Plus the damn thing is so big it doesnt fit in the cabinet.

What do i do?

2. markonline1

markonline1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    From my experience with Sky+ boxes, stick with what you've got. I got through 3 Amstrad boxes in 3 months, all with the same problem. Engineer finally gave me a Pace Sky+ box, apparently they are more reliable.

3. DaveH29

DaveH29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way that i can check that the box is upgraded to the latest standard.

Drive size, Version number etc.....

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Bigger cabinet?

5. DaveH29

DaveH29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't even dare suggest that to the missus!!!!!!

Seriously though, i'm mainly really peeved about the barefaced lying the guy used in order to get a sale.

6. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    "services" "system setup" "system details" - quote us the model number and version number - the second and third lines.

If it is a Pace PVR1 I have never heard of these yet being upgraded to latest specification and Anytime capable but please quote us the above data to ensure.

7. alternate

alternate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if it is upgraded (I know some have been) but I think your first refurb has a 12 month warranty, it is when you have your faulty box replaced with a refurb that it is 3 months.

Looks like you were hit by the classic salesman trick - lie to get a sale and then deny all knowledge (your word against his).

8. DaveH29

DaveH29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Just had a look now,

Model number is 4.6shc6
    Version Number is 9f2008
    Operating system version is 1.31b00
    EPG Software Version is sky+4.10.c

9. Baloo

Baloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I got a sky+ refurb box. Told the woman on the phone that if the installer turns up with anything other than a PVR3 then I'd cancel the same day. Low and behold he had a brand spanking new Amstrad PVR3 in his van. A couple of boxes later (noise problems) I'm happy with the PVR3 and the extra recording space is a must with 4 people in the house. Try threatening to cancel if you don't get a better box but only applicable if your still in your 30 day period. Another option is now you've got it installed, cancel and buy a decent Sky+ box off these forums for 50 pounds'ish and phone sky to activate it.

10. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Pace PVR1 - almost certainly 40Gb HDD and not suitable or upgradable for Anytime.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    When you see these offers in the press the small print will always indicate the status of the supplied STB, same for agents offering genuine SKY products but of course who reads that when someone with a "nice" smile is telling you what you want to hear to make a sale.

12. DaveH29

DaveH29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There really isn't or wasnt any small print, and we have nothing on our contract stating the condition of the STB.

But we told sky that and they said it didnt matter.

Oh well......The saga goes on. Thing is, i really like the sky+ service and dont really want to end up cancelling.

I'm probably just going to be left with a box that sticks 3 inches out of the cabinet.
    We have just paid nearly £200 for this solid wood beautiful TV cabinet, i'll be damned if i'm cutting a hole in the back to incorporate a PVR1!!!.

13. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Well, if it's a nice tight fit it will overheat and die within the guarantee period. :)

14. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just ring them and say it isn't ordering box office films - they'll book a service call /replacement for it without much fuss. But beware you may get a Amstrad or Thomson PVR2 as the replacement :rolleyes:

By the way there is no such thing as a "upgraded" PVR 1 or 2 with Sky - they simply mean that someone has switched it on for 2 minutes and force updated the software version. At most you may have a replaced 40gb HDD inside.

Cheers, Franc

15. nareshc

nareshc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I also signed up to sky+ at a shopping centre last week - the offer was £49 for the box and free installation and £24 discount off Sky World package for the 1st month. I didn't ask whether it was a new box as you would normally expect it to be new. Install booked for Friday this week.
    Anyway, I got some paperwork today and there was a mistake in my phone number. I rang them to correct it and I just happpened to ask if they will be fitting a new box and the guy said it would be a REFURB Grade A box. I complained as i wasn't told this at the point of sale.
    They put me through to the sales team who tried to fob me off with thats the offer I was signed up to and that the "refurb boxes are as good as new" line but I said I'm a new customer and would expect a new box with the functionality that Sky are claiming to offer and that I no longer trusted sky. NB. The guy said I may be lucky and get a refurbed PVR3s (ie. I may even get a PVR2) - this was the clincher as I said if I don't get PVR3 with 160Gb and works with Anytime then there's no point in signing up. I would have mentioned Virgin V+ as my next step!
    The guy gave in and refunded my £49 and promised me a NEW box!:clap:
    If they say the 3rd party were wrong to not inform me - say they are representing sky on their behalf and is doing their image no good.
    Just got to see what happens with the £24 package discount:rolleyes: