1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mismatched speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sk4nky, Sep 7, 2004.

1. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    is it adviseable? in an ideal world all my cables would be the same, in this case my fronts/center are biwireable and my surrounds arent so i couldnt get the same biwire cable for lal the speakers, apart from it being a total waste of money!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ideally yes,but really it's only going to be significant issue where the speakers and amps are capable of resolving differences between cables,and this usually equals very expensive!

If not,and this isn't intended as any criticism of yours,or anyone else's gear,i wouldn't worry too much...just buy a reasonable quality cable,and you'll get reasonable results....in the lower-medium price ranges,some of the QED cables are very good value,although there are loads of others to choose from.

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't buy in to all that expensive cable thing, truth of the matter is the differences are not perceptible to the human ear, the hype makes us believe what isn't true, its all a matter of pyschology, yes thin bellwire will sound terrible but most speaker cable will sound the same and i don't believe expensive speaker cable is going to be heard, you might think it sounds better but once again its pyschological, what you believe to be true and what is actually true isn't always the same.

Just avoid thin bellwire and you should be fine.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree to a degree, I believe the differences are subtle in most half-decent cables on normal equipment but cables do tend to have a character some seem to help more with bass... however it is obvious that you have to spend a large amount extra for a small difference.
    It may be psychological but seeing as I listen from an unbiased point of view and have no need to want to believe they sound different this seems unlikely in my case. I think there is differences in the sound of every cable even if in some cases it isn't audible.