Mismatched center speaker

Spaceman321

Novice Member
Hello,

My current home audio system consists of a Denon amplfier (x250bt - cheapest 5.1 AVR amp out there at the time) and a pair of Mission LX2s (seemed to sound best to me at the time). I always had the intention on expanding to a 5.1 system, and knew that it would be best to do so wihtin the same product range (Mission LX family). Now i wish to buy a center speaker, to better hear voices in TV and Film, but i cannot find it (Mission LX-C) being sold anywhere in the UK!

So i am here to ask, if i buy a center speaker that isn't in the same range (currently Polk t30 appears to be around a similar price point), what do i need to be looking out for so get a center that best compliments the bookshelf ones i have? Should i just take the dive and hope for the best? or is there something on a spec sheet that i need to look for that would allow me to find something that better compliments the two bookshelf speakers i currently have? If not, then is the Polk T30 a good center speaker generally? Open to all help and suggestions.

Thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
If you have same finish to this guy ask him can he sell the center channel separate for you.

If that doesn´t work out then wait the new range center channel (LX-C1)

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
You can mix and match I've done it for a while, but I used the higher end center speakrr from the same make. The matching center was absolutely lousy sound quality.

Also I changed my main speakers, to another brand, buy I kept on using that high end center for a while, it was fine..managed to pickup the matching center and felt no different, both are sealed box, similar physical size, and number of drivers, and cost.

audigex

Mixing and matching isn't horrendous - although it depends how much you're mixing and matching. The main thing to avoid is having noticeably different tweeter/woofer sizes, as that will make the sound change quite noticeably as it passes left/right (or viceversa) across your front sound field.

The other options are to demote your LX-2's to surrounds, and then buying a new set of L/C/R speakers, or to find someone selling a centre speaker used.

That person posted above selling a 2xLX-2 and LX-C would give you a full LX-range 5 speaker setup, which could be a nice way to complete your set if the budget allows for it

Alternately, if you have the budget but don't necessarily *want* to spend the money, why not buy a centre speaker that you *could* upgrade to L/C/R, and try the centre with your LX-2's, and then if you don't like it you can buy the L/R and demote your LX-2's as mentioned

Spaceman321

Novice Member
Thank you for your suggestions. I am trying to the center speaker linked to that you found.

If I am unable to do so, can anybody recommend another that's around £150 Mark? Or maybe a little over? Happy with new or used. I mentioned the Polk t30, is that similar enough to not cause the sound change issues you were referring to?

Unfortunately, I don't currently have the money and space to get a new matching L/C/R set but maybe in the future if the center I buy is better.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your suggestions. I am trying to the center speaker linked to that you found.

If I am unable to do so, can anybody recommend another that's around £150 Mark? Or maybe a little over? Happy with new or used. I mentioned the Polk t30, is that similar enough to not cause the sound change issues you were referring to?

Unfortunately, I don't currently have the money and space to get a new matching L/C/R set but maybe in the future if the center I buy is better.

1st choice = used LX Centre
2st choice = the new Mission LX-C1 MkII Centre 199£

If you can`t afford the new one then save up cause center channel is one of the most active speaker in your system so don´t make the mistake of cheaping out. The Polk T serie is not good, Signature serie should be minium to look for. Although i would still stick with same brand and get the new Mission centre cause it won´t be night and day different to your earlier LX.

password1

Distinguished Member
3rd choice = find another single or pair of LX 2.and use a single lx2 for the perfect match.

4th choice = buy a pair of lx1 and use them as l and r and use one of the existing lx2 for centre.

The best option within budget is probably to look for a used or new 'old stock' lx centre. I would ring around different hi fi shops ask if they happen to have one in stock/on display and keep an eye out on ebay, facebook, etc. and if its part of a package as the seller if they're willing to split. Also put a wanted advert on this forum.

Spaceman321

Novice Member
Okay, so i managed to get the matching mission center speaker linked to on gumtree which is great! Thanks Gasp3621.
Now i get the beenfit of hearing voice parts better when the receiever is getting mutli channel sound in (Dobly Digital). Not so much when the input is stereo which is to be expected. I may have to go ahead and complete the setup with some rear Mission LX1s!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom