Mismatched cable length from pre to power amp - is it OK?

theo cupier

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm upgrading from an integrated amp to a pre/power combo, with a separate AV processor, so I will end up with:

processor -> power amp (for rear and centre channels)
and
processor ->pre-amp -> power amp for front channels of 5.1

I need to route the processor (Yammy E800) via the pre-amp since all my audio sources are connected to the pre-amp and I am using a single 5-channel power amp.

Question:
Do I need the total length of interconnect between processor and power amp (whether direct or via pre-amp) to be the same for all channels? Ie:
processor ->2m-> power amp mixed with
processor ->1m-> pre amp + pre-amp ->1m-> power amp

Would it matter if the direct channels were shorter than those routed via the pre? For example:
processor ->1m-> power amp mixed with
processor ->1m-> pre amp + pre-amp ->1m-> power amp
?
If I could get away with connecting like this, it will save me a little money since I only need to buy 5x1m interconnects to add to what I have already!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

You don't need to match the cable lengths. Time delays are minuscule (the signal propagates at about 180,000,000 metres/sec, and with those cable lengths reactive losses are so small that the difference will be insignificant.

Hello Theo,

You will be fine with those lengths :)

If front left and front right where hugely different lengths that might not be ideal for music, but you will be OK,

Mark.

As has already been said, there's no problem at all. If you had a few 10's of metres difference then you might hear a difference but moving your head a few centimetres would have a more audible effect.

If you want to do the maths, then use the electron speed above and use the speed of sound as 330m/s. The simple Speed = Distance/Time formula is all you need. :)

Thanks guys. I thought as much but better safe than Swedish (as my father used to say) :D

Mr Grant - as soon as I've got my new AV rack sorted out I'll be on to you for some more of your fabulous cables :thumbsup:

Cheers

Theo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom