1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mismatch of Kef setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GazTheHat, Dec 21, 2004.

1. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi All,

If i'm to get my speakers before xmas, i have two options:

Kef 2005.2 for £799
    OR
    4 x Kef 2005.2, + Kef 5005 centre + Kef PSW2500 subwoofer £800.

I quite like the sound of the mismatch, as it's a better center speaker and better 'woofer. What do people think is the best route??

Is Silver Anniversary cable an overkill on this system, or are is there something better suited.

lOOking forward to comments.... ;)

2. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I started off with Kef 2005.2 eggs and the 2005 sub but eventually I traded in the sub for the PSW2500 which is a dramatic improvement. One immediate benefit I got was the ground lift switch - I suspected I had problems with a ground loop in the old sub.

I personally don't have a 5005 centre but my hunch is that the drive units in the 2005 and 5005 are similar so I would expect the tonal matching to be good. My vote, then would definately be for the second option because the sub is a proper sub.

My instinct is that the Silver Anniversary is probably a little over specified but what the heck if you can get the dealer to give you a nice little Christmas send-off.

3. jfw08

jfw08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would defo go for the second option,
    The egg just isnt enough for a centre speaker, me thinks!

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    I went for Kef Q4's as fronts; Q6c as centre; Q-compacts as rears and PSW 2500 sub for £810 from Hi Spek.

Much better than the eggs, this system will be good for music which the eggs aren't very good at!

5. GazTheHat

GazTheHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    So it's thumbs up for the 2nd option, thanks for the comments chaps. I also heard the egg was a weak centre option. He said "Clint Eastwood sounded like a girl instead" :)

I'll go for that then. It's gotta be sattelites i'm afraid, wife & child have forced that decision, and TBH, i'm leaning toward more discreet sounds.

Not too fussed about the music option, as i'm not really a audiophile-music-man, just a movie monster :) Stroll on lunch time when i can pick them up. :D

Any thoughts on cable options on that setup, just incase i don't get my S.Ann quota. I've already got 3 runs of S.Ann for Front L/R and Centre.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    Have you thought about the Genies?

Also the Kef eggs 2005.2 can be had for £599 from Hi Spek.