1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misleading SKY ads

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by thornton, May 9, 2005.

1. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I hope no-one else has had these problems but just in case...

1. As an existing SKY customer, I had a look at upgrade offers and went for the SKY+ with multiroom subscription on the basis of the web ad at:

http://existing.sky.com/offers.asp

(this might have been updated from when I viewed it - it jolly well should be in my view)

What you need to know, and what is CLEAR AS MUD from this page is that the offer cost is £149 + £20 (TWENTY) pounds per month on top of the basic SKY sub, and not ten as one might reasonably infer from this ad.

2. In fact they they started to charge me £27 a month on top of my existing basic subscription! This we only discovered on going into our account, where we discovered they had started charging us for FilmFour despite us having asked only for information about the service.

3. SKY having stopped sending monthly statements (so you have to look them up on the TV to see if they are mucking you about) it is easy for something like this to happen and you not to notice for a while.

4. After a long and at times argumentative discussion with a Customer service, rep, their supervisor, and then their supervisor's supervisor, we finally reached an amicable agreement, but we had to endure several attempts to flog us two premium channels at £37 month in order to get the £10 per month headline figure. They also had the nerve to suggest that had we read several OTHER web pages as well the true cost would be clear. Methinks they need someone to write plain english on their web site.

5. One of the reasons I wanted the SKY+ was to get Dolby Digital output - has ANYONE seem DD output on a SKY Box Office film recently? Another ripoff. Given that Blockbusters are now selling quite recent ex-rental movies on DVD at 5 for £35 I cannot see myself using SBO for quite a while, if ever!!! Just got Bourne Supremacy, SKY captain, .... under this scheme...

Lessons:
    A. Double check everything with them.
    B. Check your account frequently to see if they are charging for something you do not want.
    C. If you just want some information, spell it out that you are not ordering and confirm in writing.
    D. Stuff SBO!!!

Grrrr :thumbsdow

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, it might well off changed - From skys page linked above:

Sky+ is just £149 (normally £199) with FREE standard installation (worth £60) when you take Multiroom, that's a saving of over £100.

Sky+ is the easiest way to record all the TV you love. You simply use the on-screen TV guide to record and access your stored programmes, with no tapes or fiddly timers.

You can even pause and rewind the TV or record two shows at once. And the Sky+ subscription is free if you have two Sky Premium channels (otherwise £10 per month).

When we install Sky+ we'll move your existing Sky box to another room, so you can enjoy different shows at the same time on another TV with Sky Multiroom. It's great value at only £10 per month.

Gary

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like you need to do more research before committing yourself. The option to have the £10 a month charge waived if you subscribe to two premium channels has been like that for well over a year. I've had a Sky+ box for more than 18 months, and I knew when I got it that Dolby Digital was only on Sky Movies 1, 2 & 3, and not on SBO.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Does any company spell out in big clear words all the terms and conditions which affect pricing/installations and services to their offers?
    I don't think so:)

1) Always worth reading the small print and clicking on the T&C links, if you had ordered by phone the CS rep would have told you of the requirments and conditions but order over the web it's up to you to understand what you are buying.

2)SKY+ has always been an additional £10 a month and multiroom is an additional £10 a month but marketing and deals can affect these prices along with the cost of installation. Could it be made clearer for people who don't take the time to read the T&C's and therefore are ordering services which they do not fully understand? Yes but you have to draw the line somewhere.
    Film4 subscription, cockup by the CS rep, simple as that.

3) SKY DD payments will be listed on your bank statement, if your bank does not send you a monthly statement then it's hard to criticise SKY for not doing so especially when they offer a free phone call to check it online via the STB.

4) You are just having SKY+ with multiroom and no Premium channels?
    Fair enough but for a few quid more you can have the sports or movies (or combination) and for many people it is a very good deal. Your choice though:)

5) SBO hasn't had DD audio for over three years, should have confirmed the status of that before ordering SKY+ and since you seem to know about the alternatives to SKY and even if DD was on SBO you seem to indicate it wouldn't make a difference due to the sale of used DVD's from blockbusters.

Lesson..

All pretty obvious really:)

5. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sure, with hindsight and/or other peoples' mistakes most things are obvious...my only concern was to ensure no-one else suffered any of the same fates, and I am not worried about looking dumb on a forum. On the SBO DD matter my research was at fault - but I still think it's unreasonable that the DD is not available on the SBO service that is the pay per view service for new films. There has been NOTHING on SM1,2,3 worth seeing that I have not seen at least once before, for many months, so paying for a Premium Package to view it would be dumber still. It's not a question of SKY having done this for some time - it's a question of whether it's a reasonable deal! I should have added that I live in an area with crap reception and only partial Freeview support, so am something of a SKY captive customer. If they do not do a lot better I am going to stop all monthly subs and switch to freesat service.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The value of SKY's services and products is of course down to the individual, nothing much is going to change in the near future so why not downgrade right now, you may actually get a marketing offer of something like 50% for 3 months:)
    Of course a new SKY+ subscription (and multiroom) are for 12 months so you are probably tied into paying the additional £10 a month even if you cancel the subscription channel package.

Yep the pathetic cable and DTT coverage plus poor analogue in some parts has helped SKY enourmously.

7. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I need to stick with them for 12 months (under my negotiated new agreement with them, having dumped Multiroom) on the SKY+ side and do not have a problem with that for now. I actually think SKY+ is worth it, given that I have NO other options with good PQ. Though I am cross about the lack of DD, the Pace + box is fast in the EPG, I think the PQ is very slighyly better than my old SKY box, and being able to pause stuff is a huge benefit with a small person in the house. This IS a good product, just not as good as I was hoping due to the lack of DD support in the programming.

For the record I just had a look at Sky Movies and could not find anything there with DD against it either...

Is there a way of getting "Freesat+"? After all Freeview works with PVRs now so you can get PVR functionality with digital TV without monthly subs. I'd better check some other forumz..

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Quite check on the EPG for the next hour or so.

SM1..... Final Destination 2
    SM2..... Banger Sisters
    SM3..... Analyze That

DD5.1 audio is only used on SM1,SM2 and SM3 and then it depends on the print SKY will have.

You can use SKY+ without having a channel package, it costs £10 a month.