1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mision M71i's TOO BIG, the wife says so

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by FLT, Aug 28, 2003.

1. FLT

FLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought three pairs of Mision M71i's on recomendation and all for just £150, When the wife saw them she said they are too big . Can anyone recomend a smaller speaker set for the same price and quality
    Regards
    FLT

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope.

I'm afraid smaller=worse. Once you go into small satellite speakers (ie Bose, Kef Egg etc) they do lose sound quality compared to the similar sized speakers that you have (ie standmounts with 6.5" woofer)

I think this picture sums it up for you! :)- copy the link, then paste into another IE window.
    http://www.apechild.com/images/angrychimp.jpg

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Not likely! That's a cracking bargain for those speakers. Mission's M70's are a bit smaller, but sound a bit more closed in IMO. Show your wife something like B&W 602 S3's or some floorstanders - that'll scare her silly!

4. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'd ignore the wife, unless you live in a shoebox (literally)

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. FLT

FLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Guys :):)

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hang in there!
    My wife objected to a lot of my kit and I try and baffle her with science or something and have usually got my own way.
    She never wanted me to have a sub at all to start off with, and I'm now on my third, a mighty SVS PCi!!!:devil:
    I think she might have given up!:D

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well in this case it might be a good idea to tell her "if we get smaller speaker-thingies [point to picture of AG Micro] we are going to have to get one of these big black thingies [point to picture of HGS-18]".

:)

MuFu.

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    :laugh:
    Like it.

10. FLT

FLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Well in this case it might be a good idea to tell her "if we get smaller speaker-thingies [point to picture of AG Micro] we are going to have to get one of these big black thingies [point to picture of HGS-18]".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Thats it !!!!!! , I never thought of that one
    :clap:
    Some of these excuses should be put on the forum so they can be used by the membership. We will have to think of situations regarding our passion for all things home cinema and come up with viable responses to her indoors.
    Thanks guys
    Regards
    FLT

11. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,142
    More to the point how good are the mission M71i's, at £50 from RS have ordered a pair in Black and collecting Friday without listening to them.They seem a real bargain? going to be used in my conservatory with a spare amp, just using as a stereo setup at this price I could not pass them up.

Anyone else got them,what do you think of the sound and build quality?

Thanx

12. FLT

FLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith
    If i can convince the missus with the small speaker large sub excuse and get them wired up to my new denon 2802 i will let you know :):)

13. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    they're ok, bit bright and artifical sounding for me- the replacement m30/m31s sound far far better but for £50 i suppose they're fair value

14. FLT

FLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,!!! here goes, (possitive thinking here) If, "NO WHEN" I pursuade the missus that the missions will be ok , will it be wise to place them as near to the ceiling as poss, side ways slightly tilted down???
    The reason being they will be out of the way, (that is one of the reasons she said they were to big, having to use stands for them so taking up floor space etc, etc, etc).

Room size is 13' 7" x 12'4" and 7'6" floor to ceiling if that is any help
    Regards
    flt

15. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    As surrounds I'd say yes.
    For fronts I'm not so sure. For one some people would argue that tweaters should be at ear level. Secondly, if you are using them for home cinema, optimum positioning for a center speaker would be similar hight to the left and right speakers. This could throw up other problems for you.
    I used to have Mission 700's mounted quite high up on brackets, something I would'nt like to do again (especially with my floor standers!:laugh: )

16. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You're paying at least half the mortgage right FLT??

"Is it too much to ask to maybe have a tiny bit of influence about what goes in, or is acceptable in at least one of the rooms of 'our' house??"

:D :D :D

17. FLT

FLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair comment calibos
    But it's not as easy as that:nono:
    You have to live with them (know what I mean:confused:
    I will get there by hook or by crook:D
    Cheers any way:hiya:
    Regards
    FLT...

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    What is she bothered about, she is supposed to be in the kitchen, and the few time she sees them fetching you a beer should not bother her too much.:devil:

19. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    OK, I've posted this strategy before but here is part of my master class on how to get the kit you want. One day I'll write an essay on it.

GETTING THE SPEAKERS YOU WANT

So you want a certain set of speakers but can't get the idea past your other half? Easy! Borrow some that are larger then the ones you really want. Lighter coloured cabinets seem to look bigger too.

Get a home trial, or Richer Sounds has a returns policy or even better borrow from a friend.

You already know what the resulting comments are going to be, but don't give in too easy. Argue the point for their "flat response down to -30hz" and their "Dynamic Baco-foil directionless tweeters".

Conceed that you accept that she doesn't like them but if she can live with them for a couple of days and still feels the same you'll send them back and find something she wouldn't be so uncomfortable with, even though these really are what you've wanted for a long time.

Give it a day and tell her that you've been thinking hard about this and, even though you think they're great, if she doesn't want them you'll find something that, although not quite as good, you can both find acceptable.

Insert the speakers you want AND have a happy wife:)

Mark (21 Year together and with the kit I want:))

20. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,150
    To think that my girlfriend was actually quite upset when I returned the THX pack to MS. It was me that bottled out of fitting the 506 dipoles into my new artfully styled lounge.
    I'm in touch with my feminine side :)

21. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to get stand mount speakers because my boyfriend doesn't like floorstanders. He's also in touch with his feminine side (didn't realise how arty he was) so it's taken us about 6 months to decide where everything is going so that it's boyfriend friendly, wires will be hidden in the skirting and underneath the floor, and he has told me in no uncertain terms that once the cabling is sorted it stays!!!

ok I admit I'm a typical girl when it comes to cabling, it has to be hidden and I do prefer stand mount speakers, which is just as well considering. Of course I pretended that I wanted floorstanders and that I would compromise and get stand mount speakers just for him.
    :rotfl:

22. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,150
    Its a funny thing but I've always found floorstanders seem to appeal to many ladies more than standmounts. If they're correctly mounted on quality stands they are often more conspicuous than a floorstander. My mum was a victim of this when my Dad changed from Castle Harlechs to "smaller" B&W 801's. Smaller they are- but the Partington Dreadnoughts they sit on are not. :rotfl:

23. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My wife does not seem to mind My front room is strewn with speakers 602 S2’2 aren’t exactly small and with no attempt to hide cables apart from the rats nest behind the HiFi cabinet (that’s my bugbear), She actually wants a sub to go with the system but I can not afford one at the moment that would be good enough for stereo use.

Its TV’s she has an issue with I’m Stuck with a 28” Panny which has to go in a cabinet with doors so It cant be seen when not in use. I’m starting to plant the idea of a plasma into a head should only take 2 or 3 years to convince her by that time I might be able to afford one.

24. FLT

FLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the post above I am begining to feel better, at least it isn't only me that has a prob with the wife and thanks to everyone for your support and suggestions :laugh: