Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Misc DVD recording questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvdkid, Dec 28, 2004.

1. dvdkid

dvdkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have some rather basic questions that i was hoping to get some ansers on.
    :lease:
    1. What is the advantage of dvd-ram over say dvd-r
    2. Is it possible to defragment the harddrives (Panasonic E95 for example)
    3. Can i store mp3 music on the panny HD and play them from there?
    4. Can i connect a computer to the DVD burner and use it to take backups from my laptop onto a DVD?
    5. For standard viewing TV series wich Pic Quality should i record on? Is EP OK? Or do i really need to use the Standard to get a "viewable" result

I would appreciate answers on any of the above questions, thnx :thumbsup:

BR
    Soon to buy a HDD/DVD

2. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi There
    1. DVD-Ram is many times re-recordable to DVD-R's once, you can use DVD-Ram as an extension to your HD, if your HD's getting full you can put stuff on to DVD-ram to get back some space and watch it later, then reformat it, with DVD-R you can watch them on other players not compatable with Ram ( after they are finalised )
    2. You dont need to(as far as i'm aware), whenever you find your HD empty just give it a reformat now and then.
    3. No i dont think so.
    4. No i dont think so. (maybe if it was DV you were backing up, but the hard part would be to get the Panny to recognize it).
    5. I personally would use the best quality available, i cant see the point of spending all this money on Digital recording and then watching crappy mode, if you record the best quality you can always go down to a lower quality if you want to put a 2 hour film on a 1 hour DVD, but you cant go the other way, i never go below SP and i only go there if my HD was getting full (on my DMR-HS2) now i have a E95 i don't think i'll be seeing SP in a while :)

3. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Skes has done an excellent job of answering all of your issues but I would like to add a few points:

The only way you can get an answer to this question is to try and see what your happy with. Personally I try to avoid archiving any more than 90mins to a DVD if I can possible help it - some people are happy to go upto 3hrs though - especially on the full resolution Panasonics.

These two are really linked. You will use DVD-R with your HDD/DVDR combi most of the time as that is a highly compatible, cheap media. You will only really use DVD-RAM when clearing your HDD to format it (i.e. to prevent point 2) or when transfering files to your PC. It can also be used as a highly reliable backup medium.

4. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    What they said, but I'd add the following:

1. What is the advantage of dvd-ram over say dvd-r
    DVD-RAM is re-recordable but most other players (and most computer drives) can't read it. DVD-R can only be recorded on once but is very widely compatible - almost anything should be able to read it.

2. Is it possible to defragment the harddrives (Panasonic E95 for example)
    You don't need to defrag the hard drive on a HDD recorder. The reason you do it on a PC is because reading very fragmented files is slower than reading non-fragmented ones, and speed is usually pretty important on a PC. On a HDD recorder the disc doesn't need to be read very quickly - even a very fragged file can be read fast enough to be played back smoothly. If you did want to defrag it the only way would be to re-format it.

3. Can i store mp3 music on the panny HD and play them from there?
    No, sadly. You can store pictures but not MP3s. I suspect they did this to stop people storing pirated tracks on them but I think it's a silly decision - they would make great music servers.

4. Can i connect a computer to the DVD burner and use it to take backups from my laptop onto a DVD?
    No.

5. For standard viewing TV series wich Pic Quality should i record on? Is EP OK? Or do i really need to use the Standard to get a "viewable" result
    It depends how much space you have left! The hard drive on the E95 is so big that you can record well over 30 hours in XP mode. I tend to record in XP unless it's more than about 60% full in which case I drop to SP. I've never recorded in EP or LP apart from when I wanted to find out what they were like!

5. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    But you do need to format it regularly. There have already been several associated problems seen on these boards caused by failure to regularly format. It is for this very reason that Toshiba advises Playlist editting as opposed to destructive editting on it's machines.

6. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    When you say reformat regularly what do you mean... once a week or after so many hours of recording? If the latter, how many hours?

Happy new year :zonked:

Caroline

7. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I've always formatted as the HDD as and when it gets filled up. I only rarely delete things and thus the HDD fills up slowly and surely - when it's full I dub stuff I want to keep onto DVD-RAM, format the HDD and dub it back. Never had any problems in over 2 years following that simple rule.