1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misaligned panels??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HappyLad, Nov 18, 2003.

1. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When displaying the "test patterns" from the service menu on my Panasonic AE300 I notice that vertical lines have coloured edges.

EG, when displaying black vertical lines on a white background the lines have a green edge on the left and a blue/purple edge on the right.

Is this common with the AE300?
    Should I be concerned?

TIA

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Two possible causes for most projectors - panels misaligned or chromatic aberations (colour distortions through the optical elements to you and me).

In truth it is increadibly tricky to get the panels to align perfectly. This has become even more difficult as LCD manufacturing technology allows for even smaller LCD panels so we can have dinky little projectors.

You'll probably find that Panasonic has a tolerance for panel alignment. Most manufacturers do. At Philips our is "no more than half of one pixel in the centre of the image" for example. In any event the alignment error is much better than you get with a conventional TV despite the huge difference in screen size.

Can't say what effect Pana's LCD Smoothing technology has though.

Regards

3. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Chris.

I was thinking that the coloured bands may be a function of the "smooth screen" solution used in the AE300. Maybe some sort of defraction going on ?

Anyhow, I think I'll take a picture of the image and send to the dealer where I bought the PJ from.

regards