Mis selling of 55JS8000 Netflix

Paul111112

Ex Member
Reaction score
Worst experience I have had with a large company. Bought a 55js8000 SUHD in December 2015, told it was HDR so could watch Netflix in HDR. Found it would not display Netflix HDR, Samsung insisted it should, until I was informed that the TV had the wrong software. Then Samsung admitted that was the problem , but said they were not going to update the said software. Then yesterday they suddenly say that the TV is not HDR compatible, yet I have got a dozen emails from their advisers and tech department, where they say it is! I think there is a bit of misrepresentation, which is in breech of the October 2015 consumer regulations. They promise to return calls but don't and don't answer emails now. Very poor! Looks like I will be going down the legal due to them being in breech of Oct regs!
I waited for a return call an Saturday which never came and yesterday which never came. Have emailed them this morning to ask if they would ring with the information they promised, live it hope!
Paul

The TV is definitely HDR compatible but the Netflix app has not been updated to enable HDR. This is the case for ALL 2015 SUHD TV's. You would think it would be a simple app update but I'm not sure who is responsible Netflix or Samsung.
The TV can definitely do HDR as it does with Amazon and when fed an external source such a UHD Blu ray player.

When I asked them in June why I could not get HDR with Netflix they were adamant that it should I should get HDR. They were trying to blame Netflix. When I talked to Netflix, they blamed Samsung, Samsung again blamed Netflix and confirmed the TV was HDR compatible. I contacted Netflix again and this time I was told that the TV model had 4.1 rev and needed 4.2, and they suggested that I ask Samsung to update the TV. Finally Samsung excepted that they new about the problem, and had no plans to update said TV. I am left with a TV that is not fully HDR compatible. I believe that under the new Oct 2015 consumer regulations Samsung failed to inform customers of this issue, because the new models do have 4.2. My next step is to start proceedings because the goods must be described accurately, and must meet any specific purpose. I inform the retailer that I would watching Netflix when HDR was broadcast. and as far as PC World were aware if says its HDR then it should work with all HDR sources. Its very strange when I spoke to Samsung on Monday they actually told me that I had been given the wrong information and that TV model was nit HDR! I asked for that in wring but still waiting. I did a live chat(have the transcript if any one wants a copy) where I was told the TV is HDR. If they can't make their mind up how can retailers give you accurate information?

1. They are even trying now to say its not HDR when I have played HDR content!!

You Ref: *********
      From Samsung
      We can understand your frustration and apologise for any inconvenience you've had. We can confirm that this model doesn't support HDR thus will not provide HDR content on the TV or the app. Third party retailers do be informed on the tech spec of our products before selling them in their stores thus displaying it on their website. If you feel you've been misinformed at the store, you'll have to discuss this with them. In regards to future updates, they'll update the features available on the TV, not add new ones we're afraid so it will be less likely that this'll be added via a software update on the TV. However, if anything does change, we'll be sure to let you know. ^AM

My reply
      Now I know you are really trying any thing to get out of this and I have emails from your support and technical all saying this is a HDR TV. What is the difference between UHD and SUHD? Why did I pay so much more for the SUHD? When I bought it your details said it was HDR compatible. All the reviews said it was, your own online information said it was! But to add insult to it all after what you just said, the TV is partially HDR (not Netflix which I was told that the TV being HDR10 compatible would be able to receive all HDR10 sources, the thing is you new that it could'nt, but never told any one). I have played some HDR media that I downloaded from the internet. On playing, the TV did as your tech said it would and switched to HDR mode (backlight to 20 and contrast to full). I tried Amazon Prime ( on the month free trail) and again HDR broadcasts were recognised and played in HDR! The issue again is you sold that TV as fully HDR compatible,. It is not, and you new that at the time, but did not inform any one. PC World have told me that you had told them it was fully HDR and would work with Netflix when it started broadcasting in March. They then told me that you changed this information later and told them it was not compatible with Netflix. This is a clear breach of Oct 2015 consumer rights regs. You can not claim it can do some thing and then say you got it wrong! If you don't know what your TV's are compatible with then how do you expect sales staff to know. What you have just said as to this TV not being HDR is another way to try to deflect your responsibilities. To now say it is not HDR is something I find quite bewildering. I know why, because if you had advised the limitation you would not have been able to sell these models as well. If a TV is sold as HDR compatible you must also state any limitations that model may have if known, and you new. I have now after taking advice from Citizens Advice, started legal proceedings under the October 2015 consumer rights regulations for miss selling. I have copies of all the emails, and on line conversations, even to the point of last month when you still insisted that the TV would receive Netflix HDR, and you suggested that the problem was with Netflix. You even had me sending screen shots of Netflix to you and screen shots of the TV information. Yet while I was doing this you new all along that the problem was with this TV. Your Tech department by email told me the reason I could not receive Netflix HDR was because this TV has software revision 41 but needs 4.2, and this TV can not be updated. They did suggest I buy a SUHD blue ray player then I would be able to receive Netflix in HDR! That's what I bought a SUHD TV for. Can you please stop trying every trick to wiggle out of this. For a company that I had held in high regard I am very disappointed.

Mod edit: Reference number removed

Last edited by a moderator: Friday at 6:48 PM

EditDeleteReport
      Quote+ Multi Quote
    2. Sep 9, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Skood

While I share your frustration this is the price of being an early adopter. I've been told recently that it is down to Netflix to submit an updated app to Samsung to add HDR but for whatever reason they have not yet done so.

All 2015 SUHD are in the same boat - people who bought the JS9500 spent a significant amount more money than we did.

A cheap solution for Netflix HDR is to buy a NVidia Shield or if you want to add in UHD Blu Ray then the Xbox one S can also play Netflix HDR.

I would say there is still a possibility we may get an update as the 2015 LG Oled TVs only got Netflix HDR in the last couple of weeks.

Generally the UK based customer service teams of the Asian tech companies have no idea what they are talking about.
      1. I appreciate your reply but, the Oct 2015 Consumer Rights Regs clearly state that a item must be correctly described:

Fit for purpose The goods should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for, as well as any specific purpose you made known to the retailer before you agreed to buy the goods.

I told the sales man at PC World the reason I wanted HDR was to watch Netflix HDR (Marco Polo to start with) when it started to broad cast in the March. I asked for a specific purpose, Samsung have told me that the JS8000 can not be updated. When they admitted to that last month, they then tried to tell me that the TV is not even HDR. I should have been informed of that, and really been told that if I wanted it for that purpose I would need to wait for the KS series due out in the new year. Samsung new of this issue but failed to inform any the retailers. If I had been given this known information I would have not bought this model. I have been in contact with Citizens Advice who also think this is a case of miss selling. The unfortunate thing is I have to take PC World to court as the retailer, even though it was Samsung that failed to inform there suppliers. I have bought many things from PC World and up till now would always rate them highly. That was why I paid with my debit card, never again it will always be with my credit card.

EditDeleteReport
        Quote+ Multi Quote
      2. Sep 9, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Paul111112

Novice Member

It seems that quite a lot of people have issues with Samsung when I read the forums, like wrong information, not replying to emails or returning phone calls. I did get a very sorry, which to me if they are sorry then they know that what they did was wrong, and they should rectify it.

EditDeleteReport
        Quote+ Multi Quote
      3. Sep 9, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Skood

Ok couple of things.

The TV is 100% HDR compatible.

It has never been advertised as having Netflix HDR or that it would ever be updated with it. I agree it should be but I can't see that Samsung have misled you in anyway.

PC world/Currys staff don't know anything.

Your gripe is with PC world not Samsung - they told you it would get Netflix HDR which it hasn't. It's not up to Samsung to educate retailers - they supply the specs on the TV on their website. A good retailer will try to learn about their products but PC world/Currys are just box shifters.

Best AnswerQuote+ Multi Quote
      4. Sep 9, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Paul111112

Novice Member

I have a face book chat transcript from Samsung:

Samsung Ref: ********

We can understand your frustration and apologise for any inconvenience you've had. We can confirm that this model doesn't support HDR thus will not provide HDR content on the TV or the app. Third party retailers do be informed on the tech spec of our products before selling them in their stores thus displaying it on their website. If you feel you've been misinformed at the store, you'll have to discuss this with them. In regards to future updates, they'll update the features available on the TV, not add new ones we're afraid so it will be less likely that this'll be added via a software update on the TV. However, if anything does change, we'll be sure to let you know. ^AM

So what am I supose to make of this? I first contacted Samsung when I read that Netflix will show a HDR logo when watching HDR content (article in What Hi-Fi), and of course I did not see such logo. This was in June, I have emails from their support saying the TV is fully HDR and Netflix should work. They suggested that it may be a fault from Netflix and contact them. Netflix said that if I can not see the logo then it is not recieving HDR and it is not fault with them and suggest I contact Samsung. Samsung insist it is compatible, they ask for sreen shots of HDR broadcasts and TV screen information. They even suggest that the TV could be faulty. I contact Netflix again (Samsung suggested I should because they still blaming Netflix).
        Here is the email from Samsung:

On Saturday, 16 July 2016, 14:01, Samsung Support <[email protected]> wrote:

#yiv8273518133 p{margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;}#yiv8273518133 body{font-size:11pt;font-family:Arial;}#yiv8273518133 body{}#yiv8273518133 body{font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial;}#yiv8273518133 mbody p{font-family:Arial;font-size:10pt;background-color:#00ff00;}
        | Dear Mr. Lowe, Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is *********. This is to acknowledge that I have received your email about your TV. In regard to your concern, please be advised that the model of your Samsung TV UE55JS8000TXXU is supporting High Dynamic Range feature. However, this is an automatic feature. The television will automatically upgrade the video content once it detects that it is possible to upscale the television. If the video or programme being played did not automatically upgraded into HDR, then it is retained with its original content and will play as it is. You might want to consider calling Netflix regarding this matter. They might perform some adjustment on their end. We apologise for any inconvenience you have experienced and we appreciate being able to serve you. If you require additional assistance, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE). Kind regards, Cristine SCustomer Service Representativewww.samsung.com/uk/supportTwitter Facebook

Netflix this time interrogate the TV remotely, and tell the reason is due to the software revision, and only Samsung can update this. By now this is August, and when I present this information they said they would escalate to technical. Here is the response:

Dear Mr. Lowe,

Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is *********.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that this matter has caused you. In reference to your concern about the HDR content on Netflix application, HDR content is only offered on Netflix SDK 4.2, which is only available on 2016 Samsung SUHD models. For 2015 SUHD & UHD models, Netflix is only SDK 4.1, which means HDR Content is not available. However, this does not mean that your TV model do not support HDR. It can still support HDR from an external source such as UHD Bluray player.

I can certainly forward your concerns onto our engineers, but I can make no promises on their behalf. I can confirm that your television is one of the best Samsung models, and we are constantly developing the firmware to increase its functionality and improve its performance. However, I would be unable to confirm whether your particular concerns will be implemented in the near future. I will raise your concerns with our engineers, as we are always open to customer's feedback with a view to improving our products, so that you can enjoy the television at its fullest potential.

In reference to your concern about the refund, please be informed that it can only be done with the retailers and if the product is still within the 30 day period from the purchase date.

If you require additional assistance, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE).

Kind regards,

Loren G

Customer Service Representative

Twitter Facebook

The point is Samsung had to design the KS series to except the rev 4.2 so they new of this issue well before I bought the TV. As you can see they were still saying it could except Netflix HDR until August, then they admitted it could not. How are the retail staff able to give accurate information when Samsung with held that information. On the 15 August I received this email:

#yiv5136740799 p{margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;}#yiv5136740799 body{font-size:11pt;font-family:Arial;}#yiv5136740799 body{}#yiv5136740799 body{font-size:10pt;font-family:Arial;}#yiv5136740799 mbody p{font-family:Arial;font-size:10pt;background-color:#00ff00;}
        | Dear Mr. Lowe, Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is *********. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that this matter has caused you. In reference to your concern about the HDR content on Netflix application, HDR content is only offered on Netflix SDK 4.2, which is only available on 2016 Samsung SUHD models. For 2015 SUHD & UHD models, Netflix is only SDK 4.1, which means HDR Content is not available. However, this does not mean that your TV model do not support HDR. It can still support HDR from an external source such as UHD Bluray player.
        I can certainly forward your concerns onto our engineers, but I can make no promises on their behalf. I can confirm that your television is one of the best Samsung models, and we are constantly developing the firmware to increase its functionality and improve its performance. However, I would be unable to confirm whether your particular concerns will be implemented in the near future. I will raise your concerns with our engineers, as we are always open to customer's feedback with a view to improving our products, so that you can enjoy the television at its fullest potential. In reference to your concern about the refund, please be informed that it can only be done with the retailers and if the product is still within the 30 day period from the purchase date. If you require additional assistance, please contact us on 0330 726 7864 (UK) or 0818 717 100 (EIRE). Kind regards, Loren GCustomer Service Representative www.samsung.com/uk/supportTwitter Facebook

So when I first asked about this issue it took till August till they admitted the real reason. You say the retailers should know the product but they can only go off the informatuin given them. The store manager at PC World informed customer support that Samsung had said the TV was compatible with the Netflix app. I informed the staff of a specific use, it can not do that, and as I said that is under the new regs miss selling, which Citizens Advice agree with. They have copies of all the correspondence. What makes it so bad is that Samsung could have come clean in June when I first raise this issue. They did not and as you can see tried there best to blame Netflix, or even a faulty TV.
        By the way do you work for Samsung
        Paul

EditDeleteReport
        Quote+ Multi Quote
      5. Sep 9, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Skood

Ha no I don't. I do own this TV though.

i agree having no Netflix HDR is irritating but in every other respect the JS series works well. I reckon we'll probably get an update eventually but in the meantime I'm just going to pick up an Xbox one s or ps4 pro to get Netflix HDR.

Good luck with your legal proceedings.

Best AnswerQuote+ Multi Quote
      6. Sep 9, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Paul111112

Novice Member

I have been told by Samsung that this set can not be updated, that's why we have the KS series. I told PC World staff them I wanted the set for a particular reason (Netflix in HDR). They did not tell me that the set was unable to do that even though Samsung new it could not (the KS was designed well before I bought the JS) I agree that the set is good, but if I had been informed of this limitation I would have not bought it. This is where the new regs are there tom protect us against miss selling. When you are told it is fully HDR compatible any reasonable person would expect the apps that come with the HDR TV will work with HDR, and when you inform the staff off a particular use it is up to said staff to inform you if the TV is unable to do that. I think having to spend an £300 when Netflix is £9.99 is unreasonable. Samsung also advised me that I could also buy their UHD blue ray player to do the same. When I checked the online reviews that will not broadcast Netflix HDR, so I wonder if they know their arse from their tit (sorry), so how can retail staff give accurate info. I asked for copy of the retail fact sheet and when they first new off this issue, guess what, no response. As I have said Citizens Advice have seen all this correspondence and are supporting me in making a legal claim under the October 2015 consumer rights regulations, and I will keep you informed. I am certain that Samsung will fight this because it could open the door for many more owners. Unfortunately I am not working, but this will enable me to get help with costs. I have a very strong case and I will not be intimated to back down. Thanks for your input, always helps to have other views, and would like to hear from any one else who think they were miss sold under new regs.
        Paul

Here is a reply from Samsung
        We can understand your frustration. Information on UHD and SUHD can be found here: http://spr.ly/6184Bfhvi The quality of the apps and the content on them is provided by the app providers and it will only show the content that is supported on the TV. As we only host the apps, we wouldn't have any control over what content is compatible on them to view on the TV. As you mentioned, other supported content will display the HDR content as it does support the format thus give you content in the best quality. You can speak to the app provider for more information on this. ^AM

Here is my reply

You as a company knew that Netflix HDR was not supported when I bought the TV last December, yet your customer support were telling me by email up till last month that the TV does support Netflix HDR. I could understand if it was like Android where apps can be updated by the users, but only you can update the apps. To tell me that you do not know the specs of the apps is wrong because once I informed you of the Revision issue you then came clean and admitted that the TV could not receive Netflix HDR. You told me that the KS series could receive said HDR broadcasts. The issue I have is you knew about this Revision update when I purchased the TV yet you did not inform any one. I told PC World that I particularly wanted to watch Netflix HDR broadcasts with this TV. The Oct 2015 consumer rights regs clearly state that if a particular use is requested or inferred then the equipment must be able to do such use, unless told that it is unable to do so. I was not told it could not receive Netflix HDR when I asked. You say you only host the apps but they are still what you advertise as available with the set, and you should also inform of any limitations. You were selling a HDR compatible set so any reasonable person would expect any apps that came with that TV would also work to that same standard. You say that the apps will only show content that is supported by the TV so it should show Netflix in HDR as the TV is HDR! And as I have said if not then you should inform of this limitation. A really big question I would like answered and I am sure many on AV forums would be interested in is why you said once by phone and on this facebook page that the TV was not HDR compatible. That was a outrageous lie, and was so you could then wriggle out by saying you cannot receive HDR content if the TV is nit HDR compatible. Also just to let you know this I think embarrassing answers are going on AV Forums. Again how can you say the apps can only work to the capability of the TV when the TV is HDR(even though you have tried to say it is not).

Feel your pain we on the cx802 panny thread have started a petition for exactly the same pronlem

This is a what Samsung told me on their face book page "The quality of the apps and the content on them is provided by the app providers and it will only show the content that is supported on the TV." That is all I want! The TV is HDR (even though Samsung have even tried to say it is not) so as Samsung say the TV will support such apps. What Samsung will not except is they should have informed there customers (PC World) if the TV can not support the apps. I told the staff I wanted the TV for Netflix HDR, and was not told it could not do it. Even Samsung until August by email were telling me the TV was HDR and it was a problem with Netflix! Only when I was informed by Netflix of the Revision change did Samsung admit the TV could not receive Netflix HDR. Then they tried to say the reason I could not get Netflix HDR was due to the TV not being HDR capable. Funny how HDR samples and Amazon HDR programs do switch the set to full backlight and contrast just like a HDR TV is suppose to do. All the reviews and Samsung at the time I bought the TV and PC World said it was HDR. I think they have miss lead a lot of customers who were once loyal (a have 2 Samsung TV's a Samsung blue ray, Samsung S3 but will not be touching them again, hello LG).

I would advise, never pay by debit, have a witness, and get everything in writing. To be told it s HDR then not HDR then its Netflix fault then admit its due to wrong revision, to argue that its not their responsibility to inform of limitations when asked I say is contrary to the Consumer rights regs.

To Samsung please keep telling conflicting information it all is evidence for my case against PC World under the Oct 2015 Consumer Rights Regulations.

Had a similar problem 2 years ago with Samsung with F7000, hey sold them saying that you can upgrade the one conmect boxes or evolution kits for 4 years.

They even had adverts saying this, they released 2 years worth and one of those boxes did nothing.

Then they claim that the hardware isnt compatible with the newer software so they stopped it.

Dont buy Samsung they lie.

Samsung have now said again
"Also, just to clarify, this model doesn't support HDR. The logo may appear in some third party apps but it will play at the best quality it can view. ^AM

My reply for 55js8000
How come all the reviews said it does, your own does, members off AV forums all say it does? You were telling me by email for 3 months from both Samsung support and technical, and even Netflix all said it is HDR compatible! I have a bigger claim now for miss selling, because if your support and technical were telling me it was HDR, then the retailers could only go off that same information. Why does your technical department say it supports HDR, why have I 8 emails from your support who say it does and why does the TV switch to HDR mode when receiving HDR broadcasts? How is a retailer suppose to give correct basic information if you can not get it right? Why has it got local dimming (that is HDR)? Why do you seem to think you can feed us with out lies and think thats OK? Paul Lowe

Update, reply I received when I posted on PC World facebook page,

"Hi Paul, thanks for getting in touch with us. This is certainly not great service that you have experienced from ourselves or Samsung on this matter. We would always try to give the most upto date info that we can, on this occasion it does sound like Samsung have not passed on relevant info to ourselves. So that I can take a look into this for you please can you provide the following info: date of purchase store of purchase receipt number your address details make & model."

Hope I might get this resolved!

PC World have given me a full exchange which is very good of them. Samsung, I think your conduct has been outrageous, lying, miss leading and out right deceit. Never will I trust you again. The time and effort I have had to put in because of your behaviour is unforgivable.

PC World have given me a full exchange which is very good of them. Samsung, I think your conduct has been outrageous, lying, miss leading and out right deceit. Never will I trust you again. The time and effort I have had to put in because of your behaviour is unforgivable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom