1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mis-aligned Prisms.... I Think. Opinions appreciated.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by arnold_the_cat, Apr 27, 2005.

1. arnold_the_cat

arnold_the_cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I bought an Epson EMP 5100 projector on eBay. I got a new lamp for it and it switches on but the image has vertical lines down it. There are tinges of red, green and blue around the edge of the picture. I am suspecting that the prism that combines the RGB image is misaligned. I took the thing apart and found the prisms. They looked very odd. Two of the prisms seem taller than the others. They won't move so I am unsure as to whether it is normal or not. I have attatched a photo and would really appreciate it if anyone who knew anything about this sort of thing could give me an opinion.

I hope the photo is ok, the 120kB limit meant I had to cut it down. The two prisms which are taller are different sizes. I cannot imagine a reason why they should be a different size. Thank you very much indeed.

arnold_the_cat

Attached Files:

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The top of the prism block is normally flush. The four segments that make up the prism block are bonded together. It certainly looks like there's been some serious movement there from an impact probably.

Were there any signs of impact to the case ?

Jeff :rtfm:

3. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps a photo of the effect may help, I doubt impact damage, even a direct blow to prism with a hammer would not break the bond. Your description of the fault is a little vague though, can't say if convergence or more serious LCD panel failure, unless there is some arrangement with e-bay, sounds like money down the loo !

4. arnold_the_cat

arnold_the_cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the replies. I shall try and post an image of it in action so you can see the vertical stripes. There was no impact damage to the case. In fact, everything looked in perfect working order. As far as I know it came out of a nightclub. Once again, I really appreciate your feedback.

arnold_the_cat