Mirror's Edge

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on this upcoming FPS for a while. Although FPS probably isn't the right description given the emphasis on making you feel like you are really in the world in terms of movement and the way you connect with your surroundings.

The first teaser is up and it looks promising!

Check out the latest E3 trailer over at VE3D which looks distinctly fresh from other first person games out there. However, whilst the video looks superb, 1UP didn't find the combat very fluid.

But, what's not so fluid right now is the combat. While it's great fun to run towards enemies and either run off a wall and execute a jump kick to the coconut, or a slide kick right to the picnic basket, standard punching feels a little sloppy and almost out of place. And unfortunately, that's what you'll have to resort to using in some cases when you fail to perform a disarm move, because you have to wait another few seconds before the disarm option becomes available. Still, we're encouraged by the fact that hand-to-hand combat isn't a necessity in Mirror's Edge, and that Faith can get along just fine using her crazy acrobatic skills to evade enemies.

Thats another brilliant trailer and I definitely want to try the game but I cannot help thinking that it might end up looking great but the gameplay will end up being "press space bar as you approach red thing to perform jump/wall run/slide",and that will get boring pretty quick.

Stunning looking game. One I will be keeping an eye on. :)

This game is now out on the PS3 and 360 but wont be out on the pc until March. :thumbsdow

This game is now out on the PS3 and 360 but wont be out on the pc until March. :thumbsdow
Standby lacklustre reviews on the consoles, poor launch sales on the PC and then further comments by developers saying the PC is dying :nono: When will they learn? A short delay would seem prudent given the rampant PC piracy, but a couple of weeks would suffice and mean the PC version could still jump on the hype surrounding the initial release.

Anyway I have pre-ordered the PC version from Play - won't get to play this game until the Summer anyway.

I am fed up about hearing about this piracy rubbish. Piracy has been with gaming since 8 bit machines and is present on 360's, PSP, DS and the wii. The only platform without piracy is the PS3 and thats because its a bluray player and not really a games machine. :D Piracy is a fact of life be it in games, movies or music. If a company produces a decent game it will sell in the millions and bring silly amounts of revenue in to the makers.

IMO game companies know that the console versions are inferior to the pc version and are hoping people will double dip with the console and pc version some months later. A bit like they do with movies and special editions. I have done this with games like GOW, GTA etc.

I am a bit gutted that this has been delayed on the pc, I was really looking forward to playing this game. :(

I played the demo on PS3 and I was really impressed, very nice looking game, and the game mechanics are solid. You do have a certain amount of freedom in what you decide to do, in terms of objects to jump off etc. You can also turn off the red helper if you feel it is too easy :)

I played the demo on PS3 and I was really impressed, very nice looking game, and the game mechanics are solid. You do have a certain amount of freedom in what you decide to do, in terms of objects to jump off etc. You can also turn off the red helper if you feel it is too easy :)

If the PS3 demo is anything to go by then I am not sure the pc version will be worth waiting the extra time for. The graphics style in the demo is very clean and minimalist and apart from some aa I am not sure how the graphics will be greatly improved on the pc

game does look good . the Helicopter part first thought was Matrix ... :)

But IMOP I.E first impressions
was Mirror's Edge so looked like a game mod for a original pc game. will wait for the pc screens/trailer

If the PS3 demo is anything to go by then I am not sure the pc version will be worth waiting the extra time for. The graphics style in the demo is very clean and minimalist and apart from some aa I am not sure how the graphics will be greatly improved on the pc

1080p or 1200p resolution for starters and as you say AA makes a whole lot of difference.

I will probably just grab it for the 360 instead of waiting for the pc version. :(

1080p or 1200p resolution for starters and as you say AA makes a whole lot of difference.

I will probably just grab it for the 360 instead of waiting for the pc version. :(

I would agree that the extra resolution of a pc version can make a difference on a monitor, which is why I bought grid on pc rather than console for instance, but as long as the console version can maintain a good framerate with not much in the way of v-sync issues then when actually playing the resolution becomes less of an issue for me

I would agree that the extra resolution of a pc version can make a difference on a monitor, which is why I bought grid on pc rather than console for instance, but as long as the console version can maintain a good framerate with not much in the way of v-sync issues then when actually playing the resolution becomes less of an issue for me

Good on you mate, Grid is a lovely looking game. Especially with everything whacked up on full. :smashin:

I like to do most of my gaming in my Lounge on a large display (70" 1080p) the extra res from pc games is so welcomed and transforms the look of the game. Going back to a console game is a big step backwards in terms of visuals for me.

Also as you say you don't suffer with dropped frames and tearing on the pc which is rife in console land.

I only ever use my consoles for exclusive games that aren't out on other systems. :)

I like to do most of my gaming in my Lounge on a large display (70" 1080p) the extra res from pc games is so welcomed and transforms the look of the game. Going back to a console game is a big step backwards in terms of visuals for me.
. :)
Couldn't agree more with this mate i dont game on such a big screen as that :eek: only a measy 50" plasma and the higher resolutions and inpaticular AA make a huge difference to me. Far cry 2 is the one game that springs to mnd the 360 version isnt even close to it @1920+1080 running on my PC through the same TV.

And even more recently the COD5 Beta looked light years ahead.

Blue's News are reporting the PC release of Mirror's Edge will occur in January :thumbsup:

This game looks visually impressive the first time i saw this. The TV (SD) ad did not do it justice imho. It looks like you don't have any kind of weapons as such!

*Edit obviously i am talking out my a$$.. just looked at the vids again!

Last edited:
This game looks visually impressive the first time i saw this. The TV (SD) ad did not do it justice imho. It looks like you don't have any kind of weapons as such!

*Edit obviously i am talking out my a$$.. just looked at the vids again!
I have played the 360 demo on my plasma and its a really neat looking game but on the 360 its rife with jaggies.

But i can imagine this looking very nice indeed at the higher resolutions of the PC and inpaticular AA. I will be buying this one for the PC no doubt.

But i can imagine this looking very nice indeed at the higher resolutions of the PC and inpaticular AA. I will be buying this one for the PC no doubt.

I wouldn't mind playing a demo on the PC just to see if this is any good. I am on a PC games drought for a while now... kinda waiting for the GTA IV PC release. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind playing a demo on the PC just to see if this is any good. I am on a PC games drought for a while now... kinda waiting for the GTA IV PC release. :thumbsup:
PC for the win everytime :smashin: I'm sure there is a demo for the PC, i read somewhere that it wouldn't be for a while yet though.

gotta say this game is terribly boring from playing the demo

I kinda felt the same playing the L4D demo and thought that they cannot improve on that. It is coming out this Friday and hope my bro will get it and i can have a go and think about getting it myself.

gotta say this game is terribly boring from playing the demo
I really enjoyed the demo it was nice to play something fresh thats not really been done before that i can think of.

I have played this on the 360 and I was very disappointed. Yes it looks nice and I like the style of the graphics. But and this is a massive but for me. Its so linear and on rails which isnt what I expected.

Think about this game as Manic Minor in 3d with nice visuals. You basically have to do each jump perfect in order to progress. You cant tackle a building in various ways and have to take one route to get there. If you mis time a jump ever so slightly your dead/failed, hence the manic minor statement.

I thought it was going to be a bit like crack down in first person mode. In crackdown I could climb a building in many different ways, I could leap from building to building with total freedom. In this game you cant.

Very disappointed. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom