Mirror's Edge - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor's afloat that this might possibly turn into a PS3 exclusive.

Im really looking forward to this one, looks like a very innovating title and defenitly one to watch. Developers really seem to be getting a grip on the ps3 architecture and this is a title which could really get the best out of the machine. :smashin:

I must say that this doesn't really interest me that much personally. The trailer looked pretty good from a visual point of view but i'll certainly have to play a demo to see whether it's something that appeals.

Check out the latest E3 trailer over at VE3D which looks distinctly fresh from other first person games out there. However, whilst the video looks superb, 1UP didn't find the combat very fluid.

But, what's not so fluid right now is the combat. While it's great fun to run towards enemies and either run off a wall and execute a jump kick to the coconut, or a slide kick right to the picnic basket, standard punching feels a little sloppy and almost out of place. And unfortunately, that's what you'll have to resort to using in some cases when you fail to perform a disarm move, because you have to wait another few seconds before the disarm option becomes available. Still, we're encouraged by the fact that hand-to-hand combat isn't a necessity in Mirror's Edge, and that Faith can get along just fine using her crazy acrobatic skills to evade enemies.

thats good to know :thumbsup:

im so back and forth on this one at the moment, one minute its on the pre order list, the next its canceled!

its not that im un sure about the game, its the sheer volume of games coming out! :thumbsup:

also i cant help but feel in store your going to see this at the 29.99 price point '1 week only special' - seems like that kind of game.

i did manage to get a hands on, and it does play VERY fluid, it was also great when you come across a bunch of enemies - instead of running towards them your like ' screw this' turn around and leg it over some roof tops.

the level i played was very well contained so i expect a demo on the PSN store before release.

it is another FPS :boring: BUT the direction they have taken it might just be enough to make it a purchase :thumbsup:

for those of you who have seen vids etc. will know that you have to follow the red objects - personally i hope you can turn this off so you have to find you own way through each level although i highly doubt it.

another little annoying thing was you can invert the axis of the right stick with a press on the d-pad, i can see myself pressing that by accident a few times.

visually ir is stunning and i was on a 26inch screen if that

for those of you who have seen vids etc. will know that you have to follow the red objects - personally i hope you can turn this off so you have to find you own way through each level although i highly doubt it.

Those red hint objects, are they the only route or can you just ignore them and go your own way anyway? Or was it a mix of sometimes you can but mostly you can't?

another little annoying thing was you can invert the axis of the right stick with a press on the d-pad, i can see myself pressing that by accident a few times.

Wow thats really strange? I suspect if they have a button mapped on the controller to change something like that it'll be used in some feature of the game in some way other wise thats just weird... or maybe they have to map some sort of control to every button by rule and they ran out of useful operations by that point lol

Those red hint objects, are they the only route or can you just ignore them and go your own way anyway? Or was it a mix of sometimes you can but mostly you can't?

it appears to be a mix, but some times i expect you will be forced ie. from building to building on a pip - its not that i want multiple paths but more i dont want so much help, let me figure it out! bit or trial and error!

Wow thats really strange? I suspect if they have a button mapped on the controller to change something like that it'll be used in some feature of the game in some way other wise thats just weird... or maybe they have to map some sort of control to every button by rule and they ran out of useful operations by that point lol

yeah it was odd, the two things i can gather from this is either like you say part of the game mechanic OR the d-pad isnt actually used at all in the game, and for the purpose of the demo they had a 'quick button' so they could change it as all these different people came and played, some wanting the axis one way, some wanting it the other - that seems quite likely actually.

I have read somewhere (in a mag I think) that it will be an option to turn on these guides, not 100% sure it'll be in the final game though.

Good point, a quick select would definately be beneficial at a public demo like that.

Exclusive DLC for GTA IV, Fallout 3 and now Mirror’s Edge. When third party exclusives are no more, this will be the next big thing. This generation sucks.

Exclusive DLC for GTA IV, Fallout 3 and now Mirror’s Edge. When third party exclusives are no more, this will be the next big thing. This generation sucks.

We'll have to wait and see, but I think publishers are playing Microsoft and Sony a bit. Eventually they'll realise that the actual benefits of having exclusive DLC (like extra console sales or game royalties) are pretty minimal as only the hardcore really know anything about it.

It's an expensive way to wave your willy on Kotaku :D

as soon as love film put this on pre order all my list is being cancelled for this heck i might even buy it (shock horror)

i did manage to get a hands on, and it does play VERY fluid, it was also great when you come across a bunch of enemies - instead of running towards them your like ' screw this' turn around and leg it over some roof tops.

it is another FPS :boring: BUT the direction they have taken it might just be enough to make it a purchase :thumbsup:

visually ir is stunning and i was on a 26inch screen if that

Having played it myself in Leipzig I have to agree with all that. I definitely want to get this game based on what I played although it may have to wait a bit or if there is a special going on somewhere that might sway me.

In the same announcement as the exclusive DLC, it was revealed that Sony also have an exclusive marketing agreement with EA for Mirror's Edge.

That's much more of a factor in sales than DLC will ever be. It seems Sony are going to be pushing this game like they did Burnout Paradise.

Just seen this game look's good. Parkour!! :clap: :D

Last edited:
As above i thought DICE said that the graphics will be better on the ps3 but how can this be so if the 360's games are in 1080p:confused:

The 360 can scale all games to 1080p.

The game will probably be 720p native.

The ps3 version might have slightly better textures for example.

What did they say is better on the ps3 version exactly?

What did they say is better on the ps3 version exactly?

I'm not sure all I read infact I think it was from here is that mirrors edge will have improved graphics and more content well only a couple more days till i get mine hopefully not all of love films copies of M E have been already reserved.

I'm not sure all I read infact I think it was from here is that mirrors edge will have improved graphics and more content well only a couple more days till i get mine hopefully not all of love films copies of M E have been already reserved.

Ok, either way scaling a game will not improve the graphics, so if for example the ps3 version has better graphics than the 360 version, then scaling the 360 version to 1080p will not make it look better.

As above i thought DICE said that the graphics will be better on the ps3 but how can this be so if the 360's games are in 1080p:confused:

IIRC the 360 has a hardware scaler, so if a game is 720p the 360 can scale it internally to 1080p. The PS3 does not have a hardware scaler and relies on software to upscale - ie Call of Duty 4. But those games which are 1080p on the 360 are usually upscaled and not native 1080p

Neither 360 or PS3 have many 1080p native "major" releases. However lot of PSN, and XBL games(iirc) are 1080p, probably the best example being the upcoming Wipout HD release on PSN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom