Mirror's Edge - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on this upcoming FPS for a while. Although FPS probably isn't the right description given the emphasis on making you feel like you are really in the world in terms of movement and the way you connect with your surroundings.

The first teaser is up and it looks very promising!

I call BS on that trailer, its touched up, no way is that actual ingame.
Yes it might be using game assets but the final product wont run like that i can guarantee it.

Looks good anyhow :thumbsup:

I call BS on that trailer, its touched up, no way is that actual ingame.
Yes it might be using game assets but the final product wont run like that i can guarantee it.

Looks good anyhow :thumbsup:

It is in-game. Gamestm had a hands-on with it a few issues back and the screenshots looked identical to that teaser.

Looks very promising - the music direction they're taking is excellent too imo.

I'd be disappointed if that wasn't in-game as it is nothing breathtaking. Sure it looks great at first glance, but there aren't too many polygons being pushed on screen and textures seem rather simple, but the art direction and HDR lighting mask the little faults producing a pleasing looking game. At least it looks like something different....

Great game for those that suffer from motion sickness :smashin:

I must say this game looks like a piece of poo.

Great game for those that suffer from motion sickness :smashin:

I was thinking the exact same thing as I was watching the trailer whilst eating a very rich lemon curd yoghurt (M&S if you were wondering):eek:

I'm hoping it will be good - but I get the feeling this is going to go all "Assasins Creed" - i.e. a load of hype about free running and parkour etc - and it turns out (which I believe has been confirmed in Edge?) that you just hold down a button and steer in various directions.

Added that any combat is secondary, then you are left with a simple run and jump game?!

I'm REALLY hoping I'm wrong as I've kept an eye on this one since I first saw it last year.

Yep, I'm hoping it's not a case of just moving forward and then pressing space button to jump etc. Also, the layout seems quite fixed, I'm hoping it'll be a bit more open than that.

It is
...the music direction they're taking is excellent too imo.

This is what struck me, it seemed just perfect :thumbsup: Very cinematic.

I think this game looks fantastic. The graphics style is nice and I like what the devs are trying to do. It's something fresh and new, and that's something that's been really lacking this gen.

This could also end up being one of the few games that's better on the PS3 platform as it puts the SIXAXIS controls to good use. Controlling some of the movement like balancing on those cables and it might be used in some of the combat too.

Loved the trailer... ok mainly the music :)

I like the look of it though. Nice to see DICE trying to get away from their BF heritage and with something that looks a little fresh. Running over roof tops in bright sunlight > fumbling around in dark sheds or sewers.

Hope it turns out well.

Looks pretty fun, what's the estimated release date?

I'm not sure there is a release date right now, it's TBC afaik.

Good news, this is going to be the lead on PS3.

I got an email from them regarding soundtrack and lead platform.

Hi Phil,

Great to hear that you like it - we like it too! The music is a part of
the soundtrack for the game specifically commissioned by DICE, and
produced by well-known music industry producers, that's all we can say
about it now.

It will be available closer to the launch of the game.

PS3 will be the lead platform.

Kind regards,

DICE

Looks interesting. Can't really say much more at this time but it's certainly one to keep an eye on. :)

I'm trying to wrangle the info about the soundtrack from a guy I know who works at dice (on a different project though :()

Sounds very similar to 'She' (www.myspace.com/sheofficial)

He's also from sweden and has worked on game soundtracks before so there's a possibility!

i thought in one of previews on net, i read that dice had differnt people in there company working on a certain platform so each platform could be the best if could be, similar to what happened with cod4, but which ever as long as they doing there best with the ps3 version ill be very happy. so far from what i seen im really looking forward to this.i thought the realese was a late 08, but now its tbc.

I have to say it looks pretty promising, i like the FP view it makes a change from all the 3rd person, and i cant get the end tune out of my head it's pretty sweet.

as long as they doing there best with the ps3 version ill be very happy

Start being happy :smashin:

Digital Illusion CE has said that the PlayStation 3's Cell processor has allowed them to "push the resolution (of Mirror's Edge) of our textures much higher".

Sean Decker spoke during PlayStation Day 2008 in London on Tuesday saying that the PlayStation 3 has "a lot of little quirks to it that we really like and our engineers love as well as our designers".

During Sean Decker's on-stage presentation at the keynote, he said that "thanks to the incredible processing power of the PS3" DICE was able to make its "vision of what the game really is".

Off-stage, he was quized on what else the PlayStation 3 is allowing the developers to do. He said: "The great thing about it is that there's a lot of little things like, Faith there when she's walking like this (points to Mirror's Edge trailer showing Faith tightrope-walking across a beam), Sixaxis controls, super easy to implement and say, OK well just balance it and then you've got it there, as opposed to teaching a player to say, oh let's push this button or that button."

He continued: "The other thing is the Cell really allows us to push the resolution of our textures much higher and we've taken full advantage of that as well. So there's a lot of little quirks to it that we really like and our engineers love as well as our designers."

I hope the sixaxis balancing thing is a bit more developed than the tacked-on idea featured in uncharted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom