Mirror's Edge - Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

onkeh

Novice Member
Both versions are 720p, however the PS3 is the lead dev platform therefore likely to end up better visually.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Some info:

Mirror’s Edge Preview: I don’t believe we’ve been introduced…
Not many games manage to stand out from the crowd when mentioned in passing, but Mirror’s Edge manages this with ease. First person parkour game was all the information needed to get gamers everywhere excited, but it’s hardly a bad thing that everything shown since has wowed audiences on near every level.
Picture a familiar level of Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, or Jak and Daxter and try and imagine running through it from an entirely first person perspective. Suddenly a huge leap from one platform to the next becomes a much more physical experience; rather than being removed from the action by a good five or six feet of physical space (between the protagonist and camera) you’d see every detail through their eyes; see the fear as they make a jump by mere inches, or fail, plummeting down into the depths below. With that image in your mind, you’d be getting some idea of just what Mirror’s Edge is all about.

And yet, although its platforming elements may seem somewhat akin to Prince of Persia, its method of combat is entirely different, not just due to the replacement of swords with guns. When faced with a huge number of enemies, the game forces you to seriously consider your odds. You’re not an all-powerful one man army, you’re a single athletic girl on route to deliver a package, and your combat abilities suggest as much. Whilst it’s perfectly possible for you to try and take down every enemy you come into contact with you’d be wasting the sheer amount of moves at your disposal in doing so. Dice has been keen to emphasize that flight is always an option, providing proof with the news that there’ll be a trophy available for completing a no-kill runthrough of the game.

But just why you’re running across whitewashed rooftops is almost as intriguing as the act itself. Mirror’s Edge takes place in a dystopian future where a fascist government have attempted to eradicate crime with an iron fist, destroying the privacy of its citizens by monitoring their every communication. For this reason convenient messaging becomes unsafe for sending sensitive information and so instead physical copies must be sent, avoiding censorship by being delivered by runners; athletic individuals who avoid the blanket surveillance of the city by darting across rooftops with incredible finesse. Mirror’s Edge is not a game about destroying an opposing army by obliterating every one of their soldiers, instead you take the role of a smaller part of the resistance, doing your bit to oppose “the man,” you’re not playing a macho space marine, nor are you in the shoes of a hyper-sexualised female character designed to appeal to a teenage boy demographic. It’s an entirely original concept for a game, and if done well, could really provide a fair bit of weight to the idea of games being a serious medium for story-telling.

It’s all very well going on about how nice the idea of a game is, but its success will ultimately be based on just how well it plays. Thankfully Dice, the developer behind Mirror’s Edge, are the same people behind the hugely popular, and crucially first person, Battlefield series of games. If anyone should attempt to destroy the rule book on first person shooters it’s Dice, and the fact that they have the marketing power of EA behind them should prevent Mirror’s Edge from becoming a cult masterpiece.
Mirror’s Edge should not be ignored. It transcends genres, taking the elegance and timing from the platformer and combining it with the viscosity of the first person shooter, and takes a relatively unexplored direction in game narrative with a premise that’s sure to provide as much intrigue as the gameplay provides excitement.

Bauer24

Any news on how many levels there will be in this game, i am interested in buying this, but want a game that has good replay value!

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Any news on how many levels there will be in this game, i am interested in buying this, but want a game that has good replay value!
No idea, I'd also like a demo 1st as I can see it could be a love it or hate it type of game.

Tonks01

Novice Member
this game is on the crimbo list, such a genuinely fun game (although if FPS make you feel a little quezzy stay away!) - once far cry 2 is out il get you excited or this one robot :rotfl:

just need to cash the ubisoft cheque first...

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Tonks did you get to play this at leipzig too?

Last edited:

Tonks01

Novice Member
Tonks did you get to play this at leipzig too?
yeah, for absolutely ages (mainly because i got stuck on one bit!!) its kind of like a race/FPS hybrid i found, be worth multiple play throughs. you can take a few different paths, some times you stumble over things, but hit them just right and you really start flying! they really seemed to nail this idea of free running they were going for, also i was playing on a PS3 build - a joy to behold!

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
yeah, for absolutely ages (mainly because i got stuck on one bit!!) its kind of like a race/FPS hybrid i found, be worth multiple play throughs. you can take a few different paths, some times you stumble over things, but hit them just right and you really start flying! they really seemed to nail this idea of free running they were going for, also i was playing on a PS3 build - a joy to behold!
Excellent, sounds as good as it looks. Still, too many other games for me 1st...

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
I have this preordered, looks like an interesting and fun title.

Moogle

Novice Member
I also got to play it in Leipzig and had a similar experience to you. To me the gameplay is refreshing and whilst it can be frustrating at first once you get the hang of it the game is a lot of fun.

Tonks01

Novice Member
I also got to play it in Leipzig and had a similar experience to you. To me the gameplay is refreshing and whilst it can be frustrating at first once you get the hang of it the game is a lot of fun.
yeah, once you get into a 'flow' where your going over, under and across things in one smooth go is when it comes into its own, i had a rather rotund german breathing down my neck trying to get me off the machine which was less than pleasant (note : i handed the controller to someone else after about 30 minutes - yeah im going to hell :D) i liked having the choice to run away from enemies, than they give chase, bullets whizzing by, putting some distance between them and you by a huge jump building to building :thumbsup:

i do think though, the game will be way way way too easy to seasoned gamers who leave on the feature on which makes objects red, showing you which way to go, i was trying in my best german to see if i can could turn it off on the demo, makes it really mindless :thumbsdow BUT that can be turned off, so i shall buy it (for the right price, think il see that magic £30 price point not long after release)

also does anyone know anything of the story, heard nothing on this....

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Mirror's Edge (ME) is on the road to success, gamers are going ga-ga about Faith and her Parkour abilities. ME is one of the most visually stunning game that I have seen in a long while. The game has an uncanny clean look, which is new to the FPS genre. The game is an FPS/action adventure game but feels and plays like an old-school arcade platformer.

ME's strength lies in the fresh look and feel that the game is able to deliver to a possibly stale genre. You play as Faith, a runner in a world where communication is under control by the government. The job of a runner is to transfer data and other important documents through the city while evading the authorities. The plot goes deeper, Faith has an emotional obligation, and hence goes against the government, see the trailer below to know more.

http://www.youtube.com/v/wklqtlULbSM&hl=en&fs=1

I recently got some hands-on time with Mirror's Edge, and although the level was a short, the experience was grand. The game has been designed on the Unreal 3 engine, but you won't find the Gears of War-ish grittiness, just take a look at the screenshots. The idea behind the look goes beyond cosmetics, it is a major part of the gameplay. The game revolves around Faith's ability to overcome all most any obstacle, either by jumping over or sliding under it.

As you run, you gain momentum, and you will need high momentum to overcome most obstacles. The first thing I noticed while playing the demo was that unlike most FPS games, ME's movement feels more real. While you run, you can see your arms swing, similarly a high jump will result in accurate movements of both limbs. This gives you a more realistic feel to the game.

The game has no HUD, which is great as the more you see in ME, the more options you have to reach your destination. The objective of the level was to pick up a package and pass it to another runner waiting for you a few blocks away. The entire level, just like the game takes place on the rooftops. The controls are very simple, L1 for jumping and L2 for sliding. You can avoid damage after a high jump, if you time your slide button just before landing, which results into a roll. The roll is very useful as most high jumps will result in major damage. Check out some more gameplay footage below.

http://www.youtube.com/v/8pT0QupIwuU&hl=en&fs=1

The game uses an ability called Runner Vision, which basically highlights key points/objects in the open world in bright red. The objects/areas marked red will always help you overcome most obstacles. Faith is quite nimble and really skilled at scaling walls. While playing the demo, I encountered a few cops, who surprisingly were quite fast and very difficult to get rid off. The idea in ME is to avoid combat, but you can resort to violence if you want. I never handled a single weapon in the demo, instead I would disarm the cops by using CQC tactics against them.

The combat was fun, but it was the last thing on my mind, I was busy jumping around and running on walls. You can use bullet-time in ME, this is really useful when jumping long distances. One can slow down time before a very long jump to fine tune their leap and make sure you don't fall face first on the ground below.

The level ends with a very Matrix-like sequence, but I ain't complaining, it looked uber-cool. The level was very short and took me about 5 mins to complete, but I played it through a few times to look for new paths and secrets, I found both. The demo level has me very excited about the game, I am really looking forward to the full release, believe me you should too.

limpsharp

Novice Member
IIRC the 360 has a hardware scaler, so if a game is 720p the 360 can scale it internally to 1080p. The PS3 does not have a hardware scaler and relies on software to upscale - ie Call of Duty 4. But those games which are 1080p on the 360 are usually upscaled and not native 1080p

Neither 360 or PS3 have many 1080p native "major" releases. However lot of PSN, and XBL games(iirc) are 1080p, probably the best example being the upcoming Wipout HD release on PSN.
Thats not actually true - the PS3 does in fact have a hardware scaler (ok, so it's only horizontal) which the aforementioned Wipeout uses.

Either way, this looks amazing. Good to see more developers picking up the PS3 as their lead platform.

Last edited:

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Thats not actually true - the PS3 does in fact have a hardware scaler (ok, so it's only horizontal) which the aforementioned Wipeout uses.

Either way, this looks amazing. Good to see more developers picking up the PS3 as their lead platform.
Yeah, someone told me that a while ago. Not sure where I read that it did not have any hardware scaling at all. Probably some xbox owner! :devil:

Wamphyri

Novice Member
Just watched a half hour special on on this on Playr this morning. Looks frickin awesome.

The demo was also on the PS3 :smashin: It showed the dude getting a trophy as well. Both Story mode and Time trial mode looked great fun.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
Just watched a half hour special on on this on Playr this morning. Looks frickin awesome.

The demo was also on the PS3 :smashin: It showed the dude getting a trophy as well. Both Story mode and Time trial mode looked great fun.
This should look good on the PS3 as it is the lead platform :thumbsup:. Really looking forward to this. I just hope that it does not get smothered by some of the other big releases around that time.

Houghsx

Distinguished Member

Saw it as well and it's looking very nice indeed. There's just way to much out, I hate this time of year but it seems very strong this year.

limpsharp

Novice Member
Yeah, someone told me that a while ago. Not sure where I read that it did not have any hardware scaling at all. Probably some xbox owner! :devil:
The rumour started because the initial SDK had no mention or reference to a hardware scaler - even when the SDK was revised to allow access Sony specifically stated that any software using it would be denied certification and release!

They wanted to avoid the debacle that Microsoft opened up. There are several games on the Xbox that are marked 1080p but actually render well below that. Check coldforged.org » Blog Archive » Microsoft already walking a slippery slope for more info.

The benefit of Mirrors Edge beind lead developed on the PS3 should be clear when playing both side by side. For too long the PS3 has suffered dreadful port after port - only Rockstar managed to get the cross platform thing right (one console had better textures, the other had better draw distances, playing to the individual strengths). Hopefully the graphics on this will look mint - its the first game I'll have bought on Blu since MGS4, and I'm truly excited by what I've seen regardless of graphical abitlities.

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Don't know if this is common knowledge but Mirrors Edge is said to be a trilogy of games, first 2 should concentrate on the lead character Faith or whatever her name is, and the third may tell the story through some one else.

Looking forward to this, different style of gameplay than the FPS we're used to, even if its just average I think I'll enjoy it.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
No I didn't know that Br0ken, cheers.

Looking forward to playing this too, looks interesting. Expect I'll pick it up around xmas though, or rent it first, as there are too many games to get through!!!!

Tonks01

Novice Member
I was listening to them discuss the trilogy thing over on 1up, certainly an interesting idea, something that could only come from a power house such as EA. I wonder if it started as a trilogy, as some interesting story points could be made which slowly unfold themselves, I guess a truly brave thing to do would be to have this game finish on a cliff hanger so that they HAVE to make a sequel come hell or high water.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I guess a truly brave thing to do would be to have this game finish on a cliff hanger so that they HAVE to make a sequel come hell or high water.
Oooo I hope not, I'm too impatient to wait for cliffhangers to be resolved! :D

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Might cancel my preorder for this after reading this.

Apparently ths game is 6-7 hours, and actually only 75mins if doing time trails, I imagine that means each level can be done in a time trial way.

Source: Mirror's Edge: Short? | TheSixthAxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published