Question Mirroring Displays to TV

MattDorbs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a few suggestions.

At my place of work, we've a couple of offices where we've just installed some large TVs, with HDMI, VGA, USB output.

Now in these offices, there are about 4 to 5 PC's, all in use by different employees.

What I'm looking for is a device(s) that would allow each one, when they wanted to, to mirror/transmit their display to the TV. VGA cables would do it with them all being spaced out its not ideal to be passing around a 4m VGA cable.

I've looked at things like Chromecast but from what I understand that would require wireless adapters on the PCs, which they don't have, they're on wired connections.

Does anything exist currently for the situation I'm describing?

So multiple computers to one display?

I'm guessing the connections you've listed for the displays are actually inputs rather than outputs (TVs don't tend to have video outputs) and that the USB connector only accepts mass storage devices (hard drives/thumb drives) rather than a video signal.

The most flexible solution would be to connect the PCs with HDMI (assuming the TV has four or five HDMI inputs) and use it's built in CEC control signals to switch it's display when needed. Unfortunately CEC support on the computer side isn't that widespread so you might need a bit of tinkering/additional hardware to get it to work.

If the TV doesn't have enough ports then you can get video switches. The trouble is they're generally aimed at multiple set top boxes and generally focused on a single control - often a button on the device and/or a remote control. I have had a quick look but I couldn't see any with an ethernet port & web server offering control over the network.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom