• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mirror to increase throw/image size?

DrugstoreCowboy

Established Member
Picking up a HD73 (my first ever projector) next week but due to the small room I'll be looking at a sub 70" image, larger than my plasma but having had it demo'd it on a larger screen and seeing what it's capable off I feel it'd be a slight letdown.

I had a little think about things and knocked up a quick doodle to get some opionins from more experienced folk on here...

Of course, nothing is to scale, angles are out but you get the idea - the low slanted ceiling could come in handy in mounting a low mirror, firing it at the other side of the room.

Could having the projector aiming skyward cause any damage? I'm aware a little more dust will fall on the lense and it would have be raisied from the floor to aid airflow.

nak

Established Member
Perfectly feasible, but an absolute knightmare to set-up.

If the mirror has the minutest of flaws, then it will affect the picture.
You're right about the dust issue too, you would be forever cleaning it.

Why not have the projector at the side of your sofa, then use keystone correction to alter the geometry. Much easier.

DrugstoreCowboy

Established Member
I'll have a little play with it, for all I know a ~70" screen may be enough for me in this little room anway.

Thanks for the input.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
HIgh grade mirrors are often used in rear porjection systems for this reason. However they are used in frame rigs to prevent movement and specialy set up you cold try and find a scrap RPTV and nick the mirror or just buy a mirror and see how you get on but ambient light and shadows could be a big problem as well as framing issues

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

SeanT

Distinguished Member
I've set a few of these up, and concur that it's a sod to get right....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom