1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mirror DVD-RAM discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by narabdela, Jul 31, 2003.

1. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone know of a source for these other than SVP whose ordering system seems to be seriously ****ed up at the moment?

:confused: :confused:

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi narabdela. Before I place my next order with SVP I would be interested to know what problems are you having with their ordering system. Regards. malcom

3. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I placed an order with SVP last week without any problems.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I placed an order a couple of weeks ago and one item in their stock had changed from tubs of 10 to tubs of 25 so they sent me the 25 as analternative which meant that they gave me 15 extra DVD-R discs at no extra cost to me. Very nice of them. Sadly though they made a mistake on the other part of my order and sent me some +R discs instead of -R.

They quickly replaced them for me. I felt bad for them really having done me a favour with some free discs they then screw up and cost themselves the postage to replace the wrong items.

I was wondering if narabdela was having similar administration problems!!. Or if the problem was technical of some kind. I have the highest regard for this company. Everyone makes mistakes at some time. This was the first time in nearly 18 months that I have been buying from them. Not at all bad......

5. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Won't accept any debit/credit card I throw at it.

NO. I don't have any credit problems.

YES. I have triple checked everything.

Never had any problems with them before.

:mad: :mad:

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    narabdela. I have never had to use a credit card with SVP. With SVP you don't have too. Select payment by cheque. Use your cheque guarantee number and the orders are completed and dispatched very quickly. 4 - 5 working days from posting. Hope this helps. Malcom.....

7. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Leeb (or anyone else with a Toshiba rdxs30)
    Are you useing SVP's mirror Ram's on your Toshiba?
    If so , have you tried useing the disks on other DVD players with any success?

Cheers
    General Panic

8. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi General Panic,

Yes I've used about 7 svp mirror dvd-ram discs without any problems, just need to format them using the rd-xs30 which takes about an hour. I haven't tried them in any other player but I don't think they'll work other than in some new Panasonic ones. I have been able to open and play the videos on my pc (which has a dvd-ram/-r drive) using Powerdvd.

Regards,

Lee

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    How long?!?!?! A UDF 2.0 format of a DVD-RAM on my PC takes about 2mins top with a DVD-RAM disk (Standard Panasonic/TDK types) and not much longer on the HS2. It only took a few minutes on the E20 as well. I always format a disk prior to use rather than just 'erase' programmes. Or are you saying 7 disks will take you an hour - which still equates to 8 minutes each? :confused:

10. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Equally my E50 only takes a few mins to format a disc, and works perfectly with Mirror DVD-RAM and DVD-R...

11. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for that Lee. I did get a Panasonic RAM with the Tosh and thought it formatted a bit quicker than that as well but not a prob anyway. :)

Panic

12. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I am correct :) Just looked in the manual and for a dvd-ram physical format it takes about 70 minutes per disc. Have to do a physical format because the svp mirror dvd-ram discs are not recognised when first inserted into the Tosh. The caddied dvd-ram that came with the Tosh read fine without any formatting.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Oh I see. I have to admit I have never checked the 'Execute Physical Format' option in the DVDForm RAM utility as I've always found a standard quick format to work. That said my experience of RAM disks is limited to Panasonic (which come pre-formatted) and TDK and Maxwell that just required the standard quick format.

Does the Toshiba have an option to format without conducting a physical format? Only ask out of interest because the E20/HS2 (and I presume the E30/50) have only ever been able to do a Quick Format.

14. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Ah, yes it looks like there is an option for "dvd-ram logical format" which is much quicker than the physical format I've used. Have to admit not trying that on the mirror discs, will give it a go and see if it works!

Also, having taken the lid off my Tosh I can confirm that the dvd drive unit is infact made by Panasonic!

15. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Ok, it IS possible to format a new mirror ram disc using logical format, and erm, it took about 10 seconds! :blush: Thanks for the info Rasczak, will save me some time. :smashin: